All Aboard!!!! The POP train is leaving the station!!!

General discussion about local politics.

All Aboard!!!! The POP train is leaving the station!!!

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:37 pm

Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Re: All Aboard!!!! The POP train is leaving the station!!!

Postby Cate McCalley » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:44 pm

Angry Whiteguy wrote:http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/WKYT-Investigates-Ky-county-tries-to-take-fizzle-out-of-pop-train-of-welfare-fraud-301141381.html

'Bout time. I hope the pop buyers are charged as well. If the investigation is done right, they will be.

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:25 am

I agree!!! The stores that purchase the pop should be charged as well.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby ScArEcRoW » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:46 am

State Rep Rick Nelson suggested that recipients shouldn't be able to purchase soda with food stamps, and he was all but run out of town. Coca Cola in Middlesboro shut him up quick.
ScArEcRoW
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:53 am

You have to love the third option of the opinion poll. Surprisingly almost 10% could care less.

Who cares? Get ahead how you can
9.49%
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Cate McCalley » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:58 am

ScArEcRoW wrote:State Rep Rick Nelson suggested that recipients shouldn't be able to purchase soda with food stamps, and he was all but run out of town. Coca Cola in Middlesboro shut him up quick.

Soda shouldn't be on the list of approved food. It has no nutritional value and is detrimental to ones digestive track. I had a conversation with a foreign pathologist about 30 years ago. He told me that during his residency he had completed more than 80 autopsys on Americans. Not one over the age of 16 had a normal stomach. He attributed it to drinking carbonated beverages.

If one must have sugary refreshments, good old fashioned iced tea and lemonade are still the best.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:00 am

I was raised on Kool-Aid! Hell as far as I know they put it in my bottle as a baby lol.
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Cate McCalley » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:06 am

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:I agree!!! The stores that purchase the pop should be charged as well.

Ideally what should come out of this investigation would be for the USDA to revoke the food stamp participation certification, of stores buying and reselling the soda. That would help to put them out of business, as so many are dependent on the food stamp and WIC programs. It would end their fraud as well. If a store is participating in one food stamp program scheme, you can bet they are participating in another. Those stores buying and reselling soda that aren't participating in the food stamp program should have their state license put at risk.

Children go hungry, while their caretakers are busy using what was meant to give them nutrition to suit whatever happens to be their fancy; Illegal drugs, alcohol, lottery tickets, etc. I doubt that much of the cash generated by the fraud is paying the rent, or meeting any real need for the kids.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby CrissyAlwaysSunny » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:50 am

If they manage to stop the pop train, another train will pull into the station. I'm surprised this isn't being done with coffee.
CrissyAlwaysSunny

Postby Cate McCalley » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:21 am

CrissyAlwaysSunny wrote:If they manage to stop the pop train, another train will pull into the station. I'm surprised this isn't being done with coffee.

You're right Crissy. Any of the staples can be exploited.

Credit card companies have sophisticated means in detecting fraud. Accounts are flagged and the credit card declined when one of the flags show up. I know because I had a card stolen once.

Not knowing my card had been flagged and was ready to be declined, I called the credit card company to inquire about a charge on my bill. It turned out the charge was legitimate. What I didn't know was I my husbands card had been stolen, and for the previous two days the thief had used it in 3 states. Racking up charges that didn't fit our user profile. The out-of-state transactions was one flag. There were a couple of others that I won't mention as I don't want to educate credit card thieves.

The same type of program can be used to detect food stamp fraud. I'm sure the state knows who is committing fraud. Even those selling their cards to others for cash can be detected. It seems like a waste using grant money to get the local police to pick off a few of the sellers, but I suppose that's the only way to catch the profiteers of the fraud. Once it's known who is buying, a simple state audit of purchase orders and sales can identify fraud.

If the Feds want to curb abuse they must have state cooperation. It's the only way to end these abuses.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:23 am

I remember the commodities... They would sell hell outta that cheese... Best damned cheese I ever ate... Not so much them damned butter beans tho... You could tell in school the next day after commodity day the place smelled really rank from all them butter bean farts...
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Cate McCalley » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:28 am

:cry:
Angry Whiteguy wrote:I remember the commodities... They would sell hell outta that cheese... Best damned cheese I ever ate... Not so much them damned butter beans tho... You could tell in school the next day after commodity day the place smelled really rank from all them butter bean farts...

Yuk!!! You're gross!

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:32 am

Cate McCalley wrote::cry:
Angry Whiteguy wrote:I remember the commodities... They would sell hell outta that cheese... Best damned cheese I ever ate... Not so much them damned butter beans tho... You could tell in school the next day after commodity day the place smelled really rank from all them butter bean farts...

Yuk!!! You're gross!

Shoulda been in that warm school room...
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:49 am

I still manage to get my hands on government cheese from time to time.
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby goat47 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:19 pm

They stopped doing it here.
goat47
(no custom rank chosen)

Next

Return to Harlan County Politics