Newly Elected Officials Being Sworn In

General discussion about local politics.

Re: Newly Elected Officials Being Sworn In

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:23 am

I prefer Lincons other lesser known quote.
I Freed What? Abraham Lincoln
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Jasmine » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:01 am

Then Judas Iscariot, who was one of the twelve, went to the chief priests in order to betray him to them. And when they heard it, they were glad and promised to give him money. And he sought an opportunity to betray him. Mark 14:10
Jasmine
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:47 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:I prefer Lincons other lesser known quote.
I Freed What? Abraham Lincoln

I like the other one better "Nobody told me they were Negroes"!!
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:16 am

They really needed the internet back then. :D
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby goat47 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:33 pm

Is it to late for a do over?
goat47
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Tiny238 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:02 pm

Well with all Elections those going into office have the option to let people go with out a reason
I received a letter this morning from the Bell county jailer said my services was no longer needed its funny how 2 from Harlan received these letters don't you love politics
Tiny238
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:47 am

Tiny238 wrote:Well with all Elections those going into office have the option to let people go with out a reason
I received a letter this morning from the Bell county jailer said my services was no longer needed its funny how 2 from Harlan received these letters don't you love politics

I sure hate to hear you lost your job over politics. I know how that is because I lost a long time advertiser because of who I was supporting. Even though I don't openly support any candidate on the PH.
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby ScArEcRoW » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:49 am

Tiny238 wrote:Well with all Elections those going into office have the option to let people go with out a reason

I don't know the Bell County Jailer, but I know he's a coward. Take it straight to the unemployment office.
ScArEcRoW
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:44 am

ScArEcRoW wrote:

I don't know the Bell County Jailer, but I know he's a coward. Take it straight to the unemployment office.

Nothing new under the sun, my uncle lost his highway dept job in the sixty's when we changed governors... They also used to cut patronage out of the state employee's paychecks, when there was a democrat governor... They said it was voluntary... You volunteered to do or you volunteered to work elsewhere... I think somebody got wise to that and ended it, but not all that long ago... That would be a good job for ol windbag to look that up for us and post an essay about it...
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Legion » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:11 pm

Thats sad to here Tiny.
Legion
Always A Bride

Postby fairviewcrew » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:48 pm

I had really high hopes the year Alred and some others took office that Harlan County was evolving. Now I'm very cynical about politics from the local to national level.
America is woven of many strands. I would recognize them and let it so remain. Our fate is to become one, and yet many.This is not prophecy, but description.
Ralph Ellison
fairviewcrew

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:58 pm

Long, but pretty interesting read;
Kentucky Democrats take patronage to a whole new level
http://kpac2.blogspot.com/2014/01/kentu ... ge-to.html

As was well-documented here at the time, one of the unspoken goals of Ernie Fletcher's administration was to put an end to the political patronage that had plagued the hiring of state employees during previous Democrat governors.

A study commissioned by Fletcher's Department of Personnel (demoted from a Cabinet during his term but promoted back to Cabinet status under the current administration) showed that, in many cases, the political affiliation of state employees was inversely proportional to the party registration of the general public. In some counties where Republicans enjoyed a 3-1 advantage in voter registration, the state workforce was 3-1 Democrat.

It was this kind of blatant political patronage that the Fletcher administration tried to end, but we all know how that ended up. Democrats didn't like the fact that they could no longer hand out state jobs as rewards for party loyalty, so they trumped up an investigation and the result was Fletcher's loss to Gov. Steve Beshear in 2007.

Beshear campaigned on the premise of cleaning up state government, but we all know that Democrats have no intention of doing things properly. His administration has put some window dressing on the hiring process for merit system state employees, but the truth is that it's as if Fletcher's term never existed. The state is back to its old longstanding tricks of hiring loyal Democrats for jobs that are supposed to be filled on merit and independent of politics. Input from party officials and Democratic local elected officials and legislators is still a primary consideration when a vacancy is filed or an employee is promoted.

Even though political patronage is a way of life for state government when the Democrats run it, we've heard of an especially egregious example that puts the past abuses to shame and reaches a whole new level of improper.

We know of one elected official who also serves as one of Beshear's contact people. This official was Beshear's campaign chair in their home county. This official's spouse was given a job and is in charge of personnel decisions for a state office.

The aforementioned elected official has their sights set on higher office; one that would cover multiple counties instead of just one locality. The spouse is using their state position to help. It's been said that the personnel administrator is making decisions on who gets hired by extracting promises from applicants that they and their families will support the spouse's bid for higher office.

This certainly would be a hard allegation to prove, as denials would fly faster than snowflakes in the winter wind if the perpetrators were publicly confronted. Still, this has been reported by multiple sources so there must be something to it.

We've known about this for awhile but weren't motivated to come out of our recent hibernation to post it. With the filing deadline for elected offices approaching by the end of this month, we felt it necessary to bring this to the public's attention. It should be noted at this time that the candidate in question has not yet filed for the higher office.

Still, this is representative of Kentucky Democrats' attitudes about political patronage in state merit system hiring. To them, black is white and up is down. In DemoWorld, an attempt to restore fairness in personnel decisions is itself political patronage. Their solution to end patronage is to actually reinstitute patronage.

It just goes to prove that some things never change.
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby goat47 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:07 pm

Who's our patronage guy? Little Leo?
goat47
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby ScArEcRoW » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:36 am

Gunslinger!
ScArEcRoW
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:39 pm

ScArEcRoW wrote:Gunslinger!

Yep...
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

PreviousNext

Return to Harlan County Politics