Duties of Elected County Officials

General discussion about local politics.

Duties of Elected County Officials

Postby Cate McCalley » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:38 pm

KRS governs the rules covering the duties of elected county officials. The document below is lengthly, but in broken down into easy to follow categories in laymans language. I thought perhaps it would be useful to those that want to review the duties and limits of County elected officials. Their powers and limitations.

https://kydlgweb.ky.gov/Documents/Counties/ib114.pdf

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Re: Duties of Elected County Officials

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:21 pm

I didn't have a chance to look at your link yet, but this is one of my favorites.

When the fiscal court is adjourned, magistrates or commissioners possess no administrative or executive power in relation to county government (OAG 78-402 and OAG 78-529)
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Demon Hunter » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:45 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:I didn't have a chance to look at your link yet, but this is one of my favorites.

When the fiscal court is adjourned, magistrates or commissioners possess no administrative or executive power in relation to county government (OAG 78-402 and OAG 78-529)

They don't follow rules. :x
Demon Hunter

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:50 pm

I know they don't. I just like to point it out.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Legion » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:06 pm

Do they know about this?

Code of Ethics
As of January 1, 1995, the governing body of each county must have adopted, by
ordinance, a code of ethics covering all elected county officials, including the county
judge/executive, county clerk, county attorney, sheriff, jailer, coroner, surveyor,
constable, and members of the governing body. KRS 65.003 also requires specified
candidates for city and county elective offices to comply with the annual financial
disclosure statement filing requirements contained in the code of ethics. The code may
cover appointed officials as well. Each code must contain standards of conduct, financial
disclosure requirements, a policy on nepotism, and the designation of a person or group to
handle enforcement. Other provisions may be included. Once a code has been enacted, it
may be amended but may not be repealed. Cities and counties may use the Interlocal
Cooperation Act to jointly develop their codes. Each county must deliver its ordinance
and any subsequent amendments to the Department for Local Government.
The state must suspend services and payments to any county that fails to comply
with these requirements (KRS 65.003).
Legion
Always A Bride

Postby Gunslinger » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:26 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:I didn't have a chance to look at your link yet, but this is one of my favorites.

They understand the rules and regulations and follow them to the letter of the law.
Gunslinger
Crooked Hillary

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:58 pm

Legion wrote:Do they know about this?

Code of Ethics
As of January 1, 1995, the governing body of each county must have adopted, by
ordinance, a code of ethics covering all elected county officials, including the county
judge/executive, county clerk, county attorney, sheriff, jailer, coroner, surveyor,
constable, and members of the governing body. KRS 65.003 also requires specified
candidates for city and county elective offices to comply with the annual financial
disclosure statement filing requirements contained in the code of ethics. The code may
cover appointed officials as well. Each code must contain standards of conduct, financial
disclosure requirements, a policy on nepotism, and the designation of a person or group to
handle enforcement. Other provisions may be included. Once a code has been enacted, it
may be amended but may not be repealed. Cities and counties may use the Interlocal
Cooperation Act to jointly develop their codes. Each county must deliver its ordinance
and any subsequent amendments to the Department for Local Government.
The state must suspend services and payments to any county that fails to comply
with these requirements (KRS 65.003).

Didn't you pay any attention in school... It is not proper usage having ethics and Harlan in the same sentence... One of them dangling participles or something...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:59 pm

Gunslinger wrote:

They understand the rules and regulations and follow them to the letter of the law.

Right and your twat ain't been dried up for twenty years...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby goat47 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:42 am

If they violate these rules what's the consequences?
goat47
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Jasmine » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:00 am

goat47 wrote:

If they violate these rules what's the consequences?

Not a thing happens to them. Happens all over this county.
Jasmine
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Cate McCalley » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:16 am

The posted document gives specific instructions on how to go about impeaching and or removing elected officials for certain misconduct, or malfeason. Any one individual can initiate a complaint, with proof of wrong doing.

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Demon Hunter » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:15 pm

Let's impeach the mfers.
Demon Hunter

Postby ScArEcRoW » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:40 am

What a way with words. :shock:
ScArEcRoW
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Demon Hunter » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:11 pm

Don't be so sensitive. They have shown they have no disregard, or fiscal responsibility for our money.
Demon Hunter

Return to Harlan County Politics