KFTC Meet The Candidate in Harlan

General discussion about local politics.

KFTC Meet The Candidate in Harlan

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:50 am

In all honesty I don't believe one politician will attend the event.

The public is invited to attend a free "Arts and Youth" forum event on Tuesday, October 28th, at 6 pm on the campus of Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College Campus in Harlan, Kentucky. At 5 pm, an open reception with refreshments will welcome the visiting speaker from Wales for this forum. Candidates for local offices will be invited to meet the speakers and the public during the 5 pm reception. It's a perfect opportunity to get to better know our local candidates vying for Harlan County offices.

As Eastern Kentucky works to diversify its local economy, what role can young people play ? Can eastern Kentucky learn from the experiences of other coal mining regions?

The coalfields of South Wales shut down thirty years ago, and former mining communities were forced to diversify their economy. As central Appalachian coal employment continues to decline, many are looking to Wales for ideas.

This free public event is sponsored by SKCTS, Kentuckians for the Commonwealth, and the Center for Appalachian Studies at Appalachian State University and is supported by a grant from the Chorus Foundation.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Re: KFTC Meet The Candidate in Harlan

Postby Oakley » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:30 am

Especially since there is another "Meet the Candidate" forum hosted by the Chamber the same night. Maybe Hendrickson will go to the one at the college...... :lol:
Oakley

Postby Cate McCalley » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:32 am

GFunk, had the coal regions been able to diversify 40 years ago we wouldn't see the economic devastation of the coal regions of today. 41 years ago I was a young lass flittin' around and about our county. Being female and watching kids I had grown up with burning gas in their GTO's, Monte Carlos , Camaro's and such, I would sit in wonder at Scottie's Hamburger joint, thinking "how on God's green earth can I ever afford a payment for one of those rides?". I watched these fellas going in circles from the Pineview Drive In, up to Blair's Lake and sometimes into Harlan and Evarts, wishing I might someday be able to buy a beautiful car of my own. Realizing I had no education and no chance to make the kind of living that could afford that kind of car payment, I begin to imagine how different it would be if there were jobs, other than coal mining, that would pay as well as the mining jobs my male classmates had went on to get after finishing high school. It was upsetting because I knew a good lot of these fellas personally, and a good many were dumb as a sack of rocks. Yet they were by all standards "successful", and I was not. I studied a bit on grant writing, with the hope I might obtain seed money to start a business. One that could be successful. Strip mining was becoming an issue, along with land reclamation and I thought about Ireland's wool industry, and how the reclaimed land might be suitable for grazing sheep. If I could get a sheep cooperative going, it might be an industry that could compete in wool and other products and bring jobs to people like me, who were locked out of making a living in the coal mines. I applied for a grant with the Ford Foundation, and several government agencies. Even tried to get seed money from The Quaker organization. Nothing. Nobody was interested in anything I had to say about economic diversity in the coal fields. Coal was King and i came to realize everybody thought it would always be. Eventually, I had to give up and move out of state to make a decent living. I share some of my history with the hope that the young people left, will open their eyes and fight for an opportunity to stay in their homeland. Without economic diversity, there is no hope.

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby ScArEcRoW » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:51 am

Without economic diversity, there is no hope.

You are 100% correct. The problem is that a small group of families doesn't want ANY industry to locate here. They purchase every tract of land that becomes available to prevent business expansion or relocation. They line the pockets of our politicians so they don't work to attract business or investors. Over the last 4 years how many jobs has the Fiscal Court created?
ScArEcRoW
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Rip Torn » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:24 am

Cate McCalley wrote:GFunk, had the coal regions been able to diversify 40 years ago we wouldn't see the economic devastation of the coal regions of today. 41 years ago I was a young lass flittin' around and about our county. Being female and watching kids I had grown up with burning gas in their GTO's, Monte Carlos , Camaro's and such, I would sit in wonder at Scottie's Hamburger joint, thinking "how on God's green earth can I ever afford a payment for one of those rides?". I watched these fellas going in circles from the Pineview Drive In, up to Blair's Lake and sometimes into Harlan and Evarts, wishing I might someday be able to buy a beautiful car of my own. Realizing I had no education and no chance to make the kind of living that could afford that kind of car payment, I begin to imagine how different it would be if there were jobs, other than coal mining, that would pay as well as the mining jobs my male classmates had went on to get after finishing high school. It was upsetting because I knew a good lot of these fellas personally, and a good many were dumb as a sack of rocks. Yet they were by all standards "successful", and I was not. I studied a bit on grant writing, with the hope I might obtain seed money to start a business. One that could be successful. Strip mining was becoming an issue, along with land reclamation and I thought about Ireland's wool industry, and how the reclaimed land might be suitable for grazing sheep. If I could get a sheep cooperative going, it might be an industry that could compete in wool and other products and bring jobs to people like me, who were locked out of making a living in the coal mines. I applied for a grant with the Ford Foundation, and several government agencies. Even tried to get seed money from The Quaker organization. Nothing. Nobody was interested in anything I had to say about economic diversity in the coal fields. Coal was King and i came to realize everybody thought it would always be. Eventually, I had to give up and move out of state to make a decent living. I share some of my history with the hope that the young people left, will open their eyes and fight for an opportunity to stay in their homeland. Without economic diversity, there is no hope.

Cumberland? I think I know you.
Rip Torn

Postby Oakley » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:28 am

Cate McCalley wrote:GFunk, had the coal regions been able to diversify 40 years ago we wouldn't see the economic devastation of the coal regions of today. 41 years ago I was a young lass flittin' around and about our county. Being female and watching kids I had grown up with burning gas in their GTO's, Monte Carlos , Camaro's and such, I would sit in wonder at Scottie's Hamburger joint, thinking "how on God's green earth can I ever afford a payment for one of those rides?". I watched these fellas going in circles from the Pineview Drive In, up to Blair's Lake and sometimes into Harlan and Evarts, wishing I might someday be able to buy a beautiful car of my own. Realizing I had no education and no chance to make the kind of living that could afford that kind of car payment, I begin to imagine how different it would be if there were jobs, other than coal mining, that would pay as well as the mining jobs my male classmates had went on to get after finishing high school. It was upsetting because I knew a good lot of these fellas personally, and a good many were dumb as a sack of rocks. Yet they were by all standards "successful", and I was not. I studied a bit on grant writing, with the hope I might obtain seed money to start a business. One that could be successful. Strip mining was becoming an issue, along with land reclamation and I thought about Ireland's wool industry, and how the reclaimed land might be suitable for grazing sheep. If I could get a sheep cooperative going, it might be an industry that could compete in wool and other products and bring jobs to people like me, who were locked out of making a living in the coal mines. I applied for a grant with the Ford Foundation, and several government agencies. Even tried to get seed money from The Quaker organization. Nothing. Nobody was interested in anything I had to say about economic diversity in the coal fields. Coal was King and i came to realize everybody thought it would always be. Eventually, I had to give up and move out of state to make a decent living. I share some of my history with the hope that the young people left, will open their eyes and fight for an opportunity to stay in their homeland. Without economic diversity, there is no hope.

Good Post.
Oakley

Postby goat47 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:48 am

ScArEcRoW wrote:
Without economic diversity, there is no hope.

You are 100% correct. The problem is that a small group of families doesn't want ANY industry to locate here. They purchase every tract of land that becomes available to prevent business expansion or relocation. They line the pockets of our politicians so they don't work to attract business or investors. Over the last 4 years how many jobs has the Fiscal Court created?

That's the truth!
goat47
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:57 am

Oakley wrote:Especially since there is another "Meet the Candidate" forum hosted by the Chamber the same night. Maybe Hendrickson will go to the one at the college...... :lol:

LOL. What good planning, or maybe it was intentional.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Demon Hunter » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:40 am

Is this a group you want playing an active role in Harlan, Kentucky politics?

We are Kentuckians. We believe that today we have our best chance in decades to build New Power in Kentucky. New Power means thousands of new jobs, healthy communities and opportunities for our children.

But we have to address the problems caused by Old Power – old political power, old economic power and old energy power. We have to:

address the problems caused by coal mining and its effects on our water, air, land and people Anti Coal
make a transition to cleaner and safer forms of energy that create new jobs and respect our resources Anti Coal
reform our tax structure so it’s fair and supports quality schools, healthy and safe communities, and an effective state government
restore voting rights and enable all Kentuckians to participate in our democracy Felons
choose better leaders who represent ordinary people instead of powerful interests. Anti Coal, Felons Voting, and Gay Marriage Supporting Candidates
Demon Hunter

Postby Rango » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:42 pm

[ScArEcRoW
. Over the last 4 years how many jobs has the Fiscal Court created?[/quote]

Yet we keep voting the same ones into office. This year there is a good chance to change some of those, if people will get out and vote.
Rango
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Cate McCalley » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:58 pm

Forgive me if I am slow, but I don't understand your post DH. It seems that you are inferring KFTC supports anti-coal legislation. Gay marriage and restoring felons voting rights? I may be wrong but it appears this groups primary agenda is industry diversification in KY. I believe there's a complete halt to building coal burning power plants in the US. As natural gas is the cheaper alternative. Since coal burning power plants use 90% of coal sold in the US, it's easy to understand coals decline. It is simply cheaper to refit coal burning plants to natural gas, than comply with EPA Clean Air mandates. Whether one chooses to believe it or not, Appalachian coal will be mined in the future, but with affordable technology that replaces the majority of past coal miners jobs. And when technology is cheap enough to make it more profitable to burn coal, while capturing carbon emissions. Industry diversification is essential to the future of mountain people to prosper in any way. As for Gay marriage, I don't believe you need to condone it to recognize the fact that people who choose their same sex for a life partner, should not be barred from the financial benefits that marriage affords a couple. Gay couples have the same financial goals as heterosexual couples. While I don't condone the lifestyle for myself, I don't believe I have the right to suppress those that do. This is a question of morality that is between every individual and God. Just like we Americans hold freedom of religion as a right, we also believe in ones right to pursue liberty and happiness. What I, or my neighbor may pursue for liberty and happiness, will not be the same as others in every instance. Kentucky felons are prohibited from voting for life. As it now stands Kentucky felons can petition the Governor to have their voting rights restored. It's an arbitrary process that depends on the political whims of a sitting Governor. Kentucky is only one of two states that ban felons from voting for life. 38 states restore felon voter rights upon completion of their sentences. This coming year KY legislators will likely pass legislation restoring non-violent KY felons voting rights. I see nothing wrong with that. They have paid the price for their injustice. Banning their right to vote amounts to a political tax. One that gives only the Governor the right to abate.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:09 pm

It seems that you are inferring KFTC supports anti-coal legislation. Gay marriage and restoring felons voting rights?

I don't think he inferred it. I think he stated it.
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Cate McCalley » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:31 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:
It seems that you are inferring KFTC supports anti-coal legislation. Gay marriage and restoring felons voting rights?

I don't think he inferred it. I think he stated it.

I wasn't sure, but I thought the bold words were his comments. But I wanted to clarify.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Gopher » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:36 pm

A lot of butches will be there.
Gopher
Carl The Groundskeeper

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:42 pm

Rango wrote:[ScArEcRoW
. Over the last 4 years how many jobs has the Fiscal Court created?

Yet we keep voting the same ones into office. This year there is a good chance to change some of those, if people will get out and vote.[/quote]
The ones not running are running their puppets... Who the hell you think these uniformed, ignorant assholes are going for!?!??
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Next

Return to Harlan County Politics