Sheriff

General discussion about local politics.

Re: Sheriff

Postby clark bailey » Mon May 26, 2014 1:59 pm

Jasmine wrote:
clark bailey wrote:Marvin has been gracious, conciliatory and professional in his concession. It showed class. I for one am sick and tired of the charge levied against anyone who did not like Kentucky Justice that they are a criminal or a lowlife. With all due respect. Some of it was alright and some of it downright stunk. I blame the producers of the show more than anything but that's my opinion on the show. Did Kentucky Justice change enough minds to influence the election? Maybe, but I doubt it. I think most people who voted the way they did had their minds made up a long time back. Time changes things and in early 2009 I would have said ( and I did) that Marvin would have that job twenty years or more or till he didn't want it anymore. That didn't happen, but Marvin, in my opinion, responded with class, and how you lose says as much about you as how you win. I think the vote buying crying and whining and the rants on FB that Harlan will go back to the Dark Ages are a bunch of sour grapes from some disheartened supporters. For the record I didn't vote for Smith or Lipfird, but then again, I am a Republican.

Are you saying there was no vote buying going on?

I don't know if there was or not. I can honestly say I've NEVER been approached to sell my vote or have I ever seen it happen. I know it has existed in the past and if you follow the precinct by precinct totals I do see one district where it is more of a possibility than others. Unless I actually witnessed it then I'm not prepared to say for certain it went on. I will reiterate that the majority of the whining is sour grapes from some supporters, all the candidates have been classy in both victory and defeat save one who made a rather classless remark in one race after winning. I have to say that is a testament to all the candidates for how they have behaved no matter how their elections have came out.
clark bailey

Postby Stan Nicely Jr » Mon May 26, 2014 5:16 pm

I don't know if there's ever been an election anywhere where there wasn't a certain amount of vote buyng going on. I can say that MOST of the time it is done without the candidate's consent or knowledge. I'd say a certain amount of votes were bought for the majority of candidates that ran in this election. To single out one candidate would be impossible. To single out one candidate for vote buying is a little ludicrous....Were votes bought for Smitty? Probably. Were votes bought for Marvin? Probably. Were votes bought for Ed? Probably. Were votes bought for Dan? Probably. Did any of them have any knowledge of it or any participation in it? Probably not. Regardless of all that , I'll say again--you couldn't buy enough votes to gain the margins that either of those races were won by. The fact is that the large majority of voters wanted a change. When a sitting sheriff gets less than 30% of the vote, it is obvious that the majority of voters wanted the sheriff's office to go a different direction. Was MJ judged unfairly? Possibly. Still, what we really need to be discussing is why less than 6000 people voted in this election. What is it going to take to overcome the apathy that has overtaken the voters?
Stan Nicely Jr

Postby clark bailey » Mon May 26, 2014 6:51 pm

Stan Nicely Jr wrote:I don't know if there's ever been an election anywhere where there wasn't a certain amount of vote buyng going on. I can say that MOST of the time it is done without the candidate's consent or knowledge. I'd say a certain amount of votes were bought for the majority of candidates that ran in this election. To single out one candidate would be impossible. To single out one candidate for vote buying is a little ludicrous....Were votes bought for Smitty? Probably. Were votes bought for Marvin? Probably. Were votes bought for Ed? Probably. Were votes bought for Dan? Probably. Did any of them have any knowledge of it or any participation in it? Probably not. Regardless of all that , I'll say again--you couldn't buy enough votes to gain the margins that either of those races were won by. The fact is that the large majority of voters wanted a change. When a sitting sheriff gets less than 30% of the vote, it is obvious that the majority of voters wanted the sheriff's office to go a different direction. Was MJ judged unfairly? Possibly. Still, what we really need to be discussing is why less than 6000 people voted in this election. What is it going to take to overcome the apathy that has overtaken the voters?

I'll agree with you that it is downright pitiful the numbers that voted for that office considering the amount of registered voters we have.
clark bailey

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Mon May 26, 2014 7:19 pm

I've had people tell me that they didn't vote because they were sick and tired of voting for candidates and nothing changing. I've also had people tell me that they were only voting in specific races. At first I was worried about the population dropping, but we have more registered voters than we did in 2010. I predicted that we would have a low turnout.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby GoDan » Mon May 26, 2014 8:26 pm

If Dan wasn't running the turnout would have been less.
GoDan

Postby VoteMout » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:45 pm

I'd say a certain amount of votes were bought for the majority of candidates that ran in this election. To single out one candidate would be impossible. To single out one candidate for vote buying is a little ludicrous....Were votes bought for Smitty? Probably. Were votes bought for Marvin? Probably. Were votes bought for Ed? Probably. Were votes bought for Dan? Probably. Did any of them have any knowledge of it or any participation in it? Probably not.

Stan Stan Stan. Do you really believe that?
VoteMout

Postby Legion » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:14 pm

He wouldn't have said it if he didn't. :shock:
Legion
Always A Bride

Postby Gunslinger » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:25 pm

Stan's just happy he can see his feet.
Gunslinger
Crooked Hillary

Postby Rip Torn » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:10 pm

Sellin' their souls to the company store. Who owns the company store?
Rip Torn

Postby Gunslinger » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:26 pm

Those who elected Smith.
Gunslinger
Crooked Hillary

Postby Rip Torn » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:12 pm

Wrong. Are you really that dumb?
Rip Torn

Postby Cate McCalley » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:40 pm

If somebody ran for office that was really straight up moral in Harlan County as soon as they were elected, half the County would be waging a war to depose them.

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:12 pm

Good to see ya back Cate.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Briscoe » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:45 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:Good to see ya back Cate.

like hell it is. lol
"get that son of a bitch off the field...he's fired." - donald trump
Briscoe
HornDog

Postby Cate McCalley » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:50 am

Briscoe wrote:
GFunkMoneyDog wrote:Good to see ya back Cate.

like hell it is. lol

Briscoe, from the looks of your pic, a dollar to cigarette wrapper says you pushed the little woman a bit too far.

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

PreviousNext

Return to Harlan County Politics