Sheriff

General discussion about local politics.

Re: Sheriff

Postby Legion » Fri May 23, 2014 8:24 pm

Angry Whiteguy wrote:
DarkKnight wrote:Maybe so if he does the same as the one that's in there now and if there was any vote buying it wasn't from the one that won

??????? You must be from out of town...


Every candidate buys votes in one fashion or another.
Legion
Always A Bride
 
Posts: 3162
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Sheriff

Postby Stan Nicely Jr » Sat May 24, 2014 5:35 am

Vote buying makes a difference in close races. You couldn't buy enough votes to gain the margins that occurred in the sheriff's and judge executive's races. Vote buying is also more prevalent in certain precincts than in others. You can look at precincts with a lot of "stand-up" voters, and the margins weren't close in those precincts in either of those races. From the people I talked to, they were simply dissatisfied with Marvin's performance. These were people who were really high on him 4 years ago, but they feel like he let up-for whatever reason. It could be budget cuts prevented him from being able to do what he needed to, but over the last 4 years, his popularity fell about as fast and far as I've ever seen. Kentucky Justice played a role. I told someone when it started that people who like MJ would love the show and people who didn't like him would hate it. It would be the people who didn't have strong feelings toward him that would decide. From what I can tell, they weren't very pleased with it. I think the last week before the election, MJ realized Smitty had a real chance to win and started trying to work a little harder for the election, but voters already had their minds made up by then.
Stan Nicely Jr
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Sheriff

Postby Jasmine » Sat May 24, 2014 7:58 am

Stan Nicely Jr wrote:Vote buying makes a difference in close races. You couldn't buy enough votes to gain the margins that occurred in the sheriff's and judge executive's races. Vote buying is also more prevalent in certain precincts than in others. You can look at precincts with a lot of "stand-up" voters, and the margins weren't close in those precincts in either of those races. From the people I talked to, they were simply dissatisfied with Marvin's performance. These were people who were really high on him 4 years ago, but they feel like he let up-for whatever reason. It could be budget cuts prevented him from being able to do what he needed to, but over the last 4 years, his popularity fell about as fast and far as I've ever seen. Kentucky Justice played a role. I told someone when it started that people who like MJ would love the show and people who didn't like him would hate it. It would be the people who didn't have strong feelings toward him that would decide. From what I can tell, they weren't very pleased with it. I think the last week before the election, MJ realized Smitty had a real chance to win and started trying to work a little harder for the election, but voters already had their minds made up by then.


With all due respect, that race and the jailers race was bought flat out. Money, promises, favors and criminals got Sheriff Lipfird out. He was sold out. A lot of damn money went through this place. The only people I know that didn't like Kentucky Justice were the criminals and the ones who haven't watched it. I'd love to see National Geographic come in here and do a series on corruption and how elections are bought and paid for here.
Jasmine
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Sheriff

Postby Stan Nicely Jr » Sat May 24, 2014 9:16 am

With all due respect, I watched every episode and I've never been a criminal. (Other than a few speeding tickets). I didn't care anything for the show. MANY people I talked to were not impressed with comments made on the show by members of the Sheriff's office or the way it was presented. I talked to probably 50 families before the election that are respectable people who would not sell their votes. Of those, I would say 40 of them had decided to vote for Smitty because they were not happy for whatever reason. There are people who think very highly of Marvin and others who don't. You can't say that one side is all vote buying criminals and the other is made up of all the upstanding citizens. I'd say both sides have a wide variety of characters who supported them.
Stan Nicely Jr
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Sheriff

Postby sundown » Sat May 24, 2014 4:05 pm

I agree Stan, I've never been to jail or nothing neither and that show made my decision for me, they looked like a bunch of jackasses very unprofessional and just stupid, looked like a bunch of kids off the street trying to be a big bad cop, smh, what a joke and from what I hear Marvin and the TV channel has law suits coming to them because of the show.
live today like theres no tomorrow!
sundown
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:08 pm

Re: Sheriff

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Sat May 24, 2014 8:54 pm

I'm basing this opinion from people I deal with at work on a daily basis. 90% of those with a criminal record hate the show. People from all over the country liked the show, and from reading tweets on twitter you can tell that. I have also noticed those who like Marvin, or a deputy on the show like the program. With that said I think it played a part in the election.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
User avatar
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather
 
Posts: 20926
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:59 am

Re: Sheriff

Postby Jasmine » Sat May 24, 2014 10:17 pm

I see both your points of view. I have heard some people didn't like it, but have never talked to anyone personally that didn't. I watched all the episodes too. I was surprised that it didn't stereotype the area like some have done in the past. I thought it showed the county in a true light including the sheriff and deputies. I admit I know one deputy and he wasn't in the show. I am sure the show did impact some voters decision. Money and favors made the bigger decision. I doubt someone who sells their vote will tell that they did. I didn't vote for Smith because I didn't like what little he had to say. He didn't ask me for my vote but did ask my boyfriend for his. You would have thought I wasn't even in the house. MY house not my boyfriend's.
Jasmine
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Sheriff

Postby fairviewcrew » Sat May 24, 2014 10:55 pm

Legion wrote:
Angry Whiteguy wrote:
DarkKnight wrote:Maybe so if he does the same as the one that's in there now and if there was any vote buying it wasn't from the one that won

??????? You must be from out of town...


Every candidate buys votes in one fashion or another.


Never thought about it exactly in that way, but you're right. Even on the highest level, candidates have to fund raise enough money to afford PR people who can manipulate the general public into voting for the candidate. It's sad.
America is woven of many strands. I would recognize them and let it so remain. Our fate is to become one, and yet many.This is not prophecy, but description.
Ralph Ellison
fairviewcrew
 
Posts: 1153
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Sheriff

Postby ScArEcRoW » Sun May 25, 2014 11:38 am

I met Smitty and Howard. Smitty has much more experience, but Howard is more personable. Can Howard make up that much ground in 6 months? I doubt it, but he could make it respectable.
User avatar
ScArEcRoW
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 2634
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:46 am

Re: Sheriff

Postby VoteMout » Sun May 25, 2014 8:58 pm

ScArEcRoW wrote:I met Smitty and Howard. Smitty has much more experience, but Howard is more personable. Can Howard make up that much ground in 6 months? I doubt it, but he could make it respectable.


Smitty's a newbie who was elected by the same groups that put Lipfird in. Lipfird had pissed said groups off, so he had to go.
VoteMout
 
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Sheriff

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Sun May 25, 2014 9:26 pm

ScArEcRoW wrote:I met Smitty and Howard. Smitty has much more experience, but Howard is more personable. Can Howard make up that much ground in 6 months? I doubt it, but he could make it respectable.


Howard has his work cut out for him. I have not heard a negative about him other than the lack of name recognition.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
User avatar
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather
 
Posts: 20926
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:59 am

Re: Sheriff

Postby clark bailey » Mon May 26, 2014 9:36 am

Marvin has been gracious, conciliatory and professional in his concession. It showed class. I for one am sick and tired of the charge levied against anyone who did not like Kentucky Justice that they are a criminal or a lowlife. With all due respect. Some of it was alright and some of it downright stunk. I blame the producers of the show more than anything but that's my opinion on the show. Did Kentucky Justice change enough minds to influence the election? Maybe, but I doubt it. I think most people who voted the way they did had their minds made up a long time back. Time changes things and in early 2009 I would have said ( and I did) that Marvin would have that job twenty years or more or till he didn't want it anymore. That didn't happen, but Marvin, in my opinion, responded with class, and how you lose says as much about you as how you win. I think the vote buying crying and whining and the rants on FB that Harlan will go back to the Dark Ages are a bunch of sour grapes from some disheartened supporters. For the record I didn't vote for Smith or Lipfird, but then again, I am a Republican.
User avatar
clark bailey
 
Posts: 2233
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Sheriff

Postby clark bailey » Mon May 26, 2014 9:38 am

Stan Nicely Jr wrote:With all due respect, I watched every episode and I've never been a criminal. (Other than a few speeding tickets). I didn't care anything for the show. MANY people I talked to were not impressed with comments made on the show by members of the Sheriff's office or the way it was presented. I talked to probably 50 families before the election that are respectable people who would not sell their votes. Of those, I would say 40 of them had decided to vote for Smitty because they were not happy for whatever reason. There are people who think very highly of Marvin and others who don't. You can't say that one side is all vote buying criminals and the other is made up of all the upstanding citizens. I'd say both sides have a wide variety of characters who supported them.




But Stan that makes too much sense for people.
User avatar
clark bailey
 
Posts: 2233
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Sheriff

Postby Jasmine » Mon May 26, 2014 11:12 am

clark bailey wrote:Marvin has been gracious, conciliatory and professional in his concession. It showed class. I for one am sick and tired of the charge levied against anyone who did not like Kentucky Justice that they are a criminal or a lowlife. With all due respect. Some of it was alright and some of it downright stunk. I blame the producers of the show more than anything but that's my opinion on the show. Did Kentucky Justice change enough minds to influence the election? Maybe, but I doubt it. I think most people who voted the way they did had their minds made up a long time back. Time changes things and in early 2009 I would have said ( and I did) that Marvin would have that job twenty years or more or till he didn't want it anymore. That didn't happen, but Marvin, in my opinion, responded with class, and how you lose says as much about you as how you win. I think the vote buying crying and whining and the rants on FB that Harlan will go back to the Dark Ages are a bunch of sour grapes from some disheartened supporters. For the record I didn't vote for Smith or Lipfird, but then again, I am a Republican.


Are you saying there was no vote buying going on?
Jasmine
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Sheriff

Postby Jacqueline » Mon May 26, 2014 1:52 pm

You know I have never seen that show because we do not get that channel on cable here in the Tri-Cities. I don't think it played as big a part in the election as some think it did.
Jacqueline
Jacqueline
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 1110
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:21 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Harlan County Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests