A Few Of GFunk's Election Ideas.

General discussion about local politics.

Re: A Few Of GFunk's Election Ideas.

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:58 pm

Sounds like some good ideas to me except the industry idea. I hate to sound pessimistic and negative but I think I am realistic about the issue. I just don't think you are going to get any real, stand-on-their-own industries of any quality in Harlan (at least any time soon.) I may be wrong and I hope I am, but I just don't see it happening. I don't think the infrastructure is there or it is too neglected to support industry. I think our college is a diamond in the rough and could be easily built upon and supported to where it is a thriving four year institution (totally in the county).
I previously floated the idea of keeping the 3 high schools open and using the 50 million to turn Southeast into a 4 year university. Let's just say it wasn't popular with many.
The county, or at least the city needs to be wet. If we managed to vote the entire county wet we would need a distribution center which would mean jobs. We had a meeting once to organize a petition to make the county wet. Who showed up? GFunk, Superbeast, StillStanding, Jennifer Mcdaniels, and Big Bettie.
We need a CJE who is 100% on board with the Blue Grass Challenge Academy. Ralph Souyleret (Delzina's Brother) Has worked very hard to get the academy here in Harlan. He is also the person who managed to get us our own National Guard Armory, and the SEKRI factory in Cumberland. The Academy would be helpful to our youth, as well as bringing jobs to the community. They will need teachers, cooks, janitors, ect, ect, ect. The same type of employees that a typical school needs.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Unbridled Spirit » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:03 pm

Mr. Souyleret also made it possible for us to have the Mountain Warriors.
Unbridled Spirit

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:07 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:
Sounds like some good ideas to me except the industry idea. I hate to sound pessimistic and negative but I think I am realistic about the issue. I just don't think you are going to get any real, stand-on-their-own industries of any quality in Harlan (at least any time soon.) I may be wrong and I hope I am, but I just don't see it happening. I don't think the infrastructure is there or it is too neglected to support industry. I think our college is a diamond in the rough and could be easily built upon and supported to where it is a thriving four year institution (totally in the county).
I previously floated the idea of keeping the 3 high schools open and using the 50 million to turn Southeast into a 4 year university. Let's just say it wasn't popular with many.
The county, or at least the city needs to be wet. If we managed to vote the entire county wet we would need a distribution center which would mean jobs. We had a meeting once to organize a petition to make the county wet. Who showed up? GFunk, Superbeast, StillStanding, Jennifer Mcdaniels, and Big Bettie.
We need a CJE who is 100% on board with the Blue Grass Challenge Academy. Ralph Souyleret (Delzina's Brother) Has worked very hard to get the academy here in Harlan. He is also the person who managed to get us our own National Guard Armory, and the SEKRI factory in Cumberland. The Academy would be helpful to our youth, as well as bringing jobs to the community. They will need teachers, cooks, janitors, ect, ect, ect. The same type of employees that a typical school needs.

Great Ideas!!!

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:20 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:

Do you think the four year institution should be more centrally located..?
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Fox » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:57 pm

IMO, no. Southeast already has a beautiful campus/facilities and I think they have some room to expand. WHy would you want to reinvent the wheel? Cumberland is fairly centrally located with respect to the region. I would imagine you would even get quite a few people from neighboring VA coming to the college. I think it would draw from Perry, Leslie, Letcher, the rest of eastern KY and eventually beyond the borders of our state and region.
Question is, I wonder if the administration at the college would be on board for such an expansion?
"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government." --Thomas Jefferson
Fox

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:10 pm

Fox wrote:

IMO, no. Southeast already has a beautiful campus/facilities and I think they have some room to expand. WHy would you want to reinvent the wheel? Cumberland is fairly centrally located with respect to the region. I would imagine you would even get quite a few people from neighboring VA coming to the college. I think it would draw from Perry, Leslie, Letcher, the rest of eastern KY and eventually beyond the borders of our state and region.
Question is, I wonder if the administration at the college would be on board for such an expansion?
I agree with Fox, and G.

Postby The Wolf » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:56 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:

I never knew of this meeting or I would have been there!
Where's our smiley's?
The Wolf

Postby Skyedancer » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:13 pm

The Wolf wrote:
Where's our smiley's?

They donated them to Frank Pennington's Car. Trying to make it look less pitiful.
Skyedancer
Rainbow Bright

Postby The Wolf » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:18 pm

Bella_Morte wrote:
The Wolf wrote:
Where's our smiley's?

They donated them to Frank Pennington's Car. Trying to make it look less pitiful.

CUTE!!!! I would give you a smiley but they're gone....Frank got em.
The Wolf

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:18 pm

Bella_Morte wrote:
The Wolf wrote:
Where's our smiley's?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.............
Those are some great idea's by GFunk. I have only heard from one politician who has floated his idea's to the public and that's Jonathan Pope. He is young enough to not be set in his ways, and thinks outside of the box. This is what we had with Marvin J, and Russell.

Postby Jack Rabbit » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:34 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:The Jailer needs to find a way for the jail to be less of a drain on the county budget.

The Jailer does the best he can with what he has or I should say with what the County gives him to work with.Maybe he should take Money out of his own pocket and use it at the Jail ?
Jack Rabbit

Postby Jennifer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:48 pm

Speaking from experience, the parking problem downtown is why nothing can do good down there. Sorry, call me lazy or whatever, but lugging two kids out of the truck and walking half a mile to get to a store.. Not worth it!
Bring me your abused,bring me your lost souls looking for a home.Bring me the weak and sick,bring me the forgotten ones huddled on the street.{RB}
Jennifer
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby SUPERBEAST » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:28 pm

Jack Rabbit wrote:
GFunkMoneyDog wrote:The Jailer needs to find a way for the jail to be less of a drain on the county budget.

The Jailer does the best he can with what he has or I should say with what the County gives him to work with.Maybe he should take Money out of his own pocket and use it at the Jail ?

Why not he makes enough. lol
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war
SUPERBEAST

Postby Jack Rabbit » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:15 pm

SUPERBEAST wrote:
Jack Rabbit wrote:

Why not he makes enough. lol

Theirs a few more that makes more than him.Im sure if they would Donate he would to.LOL
Jack Rabbit

Postby stress kills » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:57 am

Chase wrote:It would also be nice that people cared about their communities and not throw Mcdonald's bags out of their car. I kind of think when I passed that garbage the next trip up the road, I would feel a little ashamed of myself for doing that. But.....NO......probably didn't even enter their minds.

One of my pet peeves after Christmas is seeing a Christmas tree thrown out on the side of the road. How long would it take to just set it on fire and burn it? Better yet I think the fish and game would like it to put it in the lake. I heard that somewhere. Getting back on topic, I am beginning to think some of the people in Harlan County and other counties doesn't want it to change for the better.

That's what we did they will pick ur tree up for u. That's the only way I would get a cut tree was to be able to recycle it later.
stress kills

PreviousNext

Return to Harlan County Politics