A Few Of GFunk's Election Ideas.

General discussion about local politics.

A Few Of GFunk's Election Ideas.

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:22 pm

You should only steal these idea's if you plan on following thru with them. These are just a few ideas off the top of my head. Feel free to add to them, or wait on my follow up post.

First of all as Mayor of Harlan I would angle the parking around the Court House, and the Justice Center which would open up more parking, and would be more pleasing to the eye. It would eliminate parking on both sides of the street. I would eliminate free all day parking. If you work in the Courthouse, or the Justice Center you must park in the city's parking lot, so people who want to do actual business in town have somewhere to park. (The employee's will not like the idea, but I would bet that most don't vote in the city limits) This does not effect those who have apartments in town. It is only for County employees.

I think that all offices in the Courthouse, and the Justice Center should be open for at least a half a day on Saturday. Most people have to take off work in order to tag vehicles, re-new licenses, pay taxes, ect, ect, ect.

The County Judge Executive should hire someone of experience in bringing industry into a area. I know this will be the hardest for most because everyone wants to take credit for every damn thing. The county needs to reach out to companies and detail the benefits of relocating in Harlan. 10 dollars an hour here, is like 18 dollars an hour anywhere else.

The Magistrates need to do what is right for Harlan County as a whole, and not just what you can get for your district.

The Jailer needs to find a way for the jail to be less of a drain on the county budget. The "garden" was suppose to become a savior, but I've not seen any money saved. Gardening tools are not free.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Re: A Few Of GFunk's Election Ideas.

Postby Kateena Haynes » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:46 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:You should only steal these idea's if you plan on following thru with them. These are just a few ideas off the top of my head. Feel free to add to them, or wait on my follow up post.

First of all as Mayor of Harlan I would angle the parking around the Court House, and the Justice Center which would open up more parking, and would be more pleasing to the eye. It would eliminate parking on both sides of the street. I would eliminate free all day parking. If you work in the Courthouse, or the Justice Center you must park in the city's parking lot, so people who want to do actual business in town have somewhere to park. (The employee's will not like the idea, but I would bet that most don't vote in the city limits) This does not effect those who have apartments in town. It is only for County employees.

I think that all offices in the Courthouse, and the Justice Center should be open for at least a half a day on Saturday. Most people have to take off work in order to tag vehicles, re-new licenses, pay taxes, ect, ect, ect.

The County Judge Executive should hire someone of experience in bringing industry into a area. I know this will be the hardest for most because everyone wants to take credit for every damn thing. The county needs to reach out to companies and detail the benefits of relocating in Harlan. 10 dollars an hour here, is like 18 dollars an hour anywhere else.

The Magistrates need to do what is right for Harlan County as a whole, and not just what you can get for your district.

The Jailer needs to find a way for the jail to be less of a drain on the county budget. The "garden" was suppose to become a savior, but I've not seen any money saved. Gardening tools are not free.

Those are some really great ideas....for the most part. :D (I think the garden at the jail is a good idea).
In regard to the magistrates, the premise behind magistrates is divisive. A form of county government where commissioners are voted at large would make more sense and do more for the county as a whole. You're constituents would be county-wide, so those elected would be more apt to work for the entire county instead of his/her district. (Someone on the board posted this a while back, and I completely agree.)
Kateena Haynes
I Wear A Cape!

Postby Bushwhacker » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:35 am

At the risk of sounding like an a$$ kisser, I think those are great ideas.
Bushwhacker

Postby Charles Raleigh » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:41 am

Bushwhacker wrote:At the risk of sounding like an a$$ kisser, I think those are great ideas.

Ok me to then LOL. They really are great ideas.
Tri City News # News sorce for me.
Charles Raleigh
Cumberland City Council

Postby Gladys » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:54 am

Charles Raleigh wrote:
Bushwhacker wrote:At the risk of sounding like an a$$ kisser, I think those are great ideas.

Ok me to then LOL. They really are great ideas.

:D :lol: :twisted: :mrgreen: :P
Don't Trust any of um!!!
Gladys
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby shade chaser » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:35 am

those are good Ideas,I would only add that IMO our CJE should go to other county/states [as he has been invited to do many times [but dont] and sit through a few work shop programs that teach how to attract new industry and share ideas,we here in harlan have had this huge rock tied around our neck pulling us down,we need some one to cut that rope that we can get back above water,those are good ideas and i agree with you.
shade chaser
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Chase » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:17 pm

Those are very good ideas GFunk. The slant parking would allow more parking space too. Good job GFunk on getting those ideas out there. The city and county executives should listen to some of the citizens since we are the ones who have trouble finding parking.
Chase
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:34 pm

shade chaser wrote:those are good Ideas,I would only add that IMO our CJE should go to other county/states [as he has been invited to do many times [but dont] and sit through a few work shop programs that teach how to attract new industry and share ideas,we here in harlan have had this huge rock tied around our neck pulling us down,we need some one to cut that rope that we can get back above water,those are good ideas and i agree with you.

I think he should go to like Bullit county or somewhere.... And? And nothing, just go there and don't come back...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Fox » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:07 pm

Sounds like some good ideas to me except the industry idea. I hate to sound pessimistic and negative but I think I am realistic about the issue. I just don't think you are going to get any real, stand-on-their-own industries of any quality in Harlan (at least any time soon.) I may be wrong and I hope I am, but I just don't see it happening. I don't think the infrastructure is there or it is too neglected to support industry. I think our college is a diamond in the rough and could be easily built upon and supported to where it is a thriving four year institution (totally in the county). I think a lot of progress in our county would soon follow. It usually does in college towns. It is a shame that the closest public four year institution/university is in another state. I think tourism is a possibility for continued growth, but ain't gonna happen like it should until someone cleans up the county. It looks like a pig pen. Sorry if I offend, but it's the truth. I remember seeing weeds growing in the road grime on the median about 3 ft high this past summer on the bypass within city limits. Pure neglect of the town's aesthetics by our officials. Heck if they don't try why should anyone else. Someone mentioned going to other areas for ideas. I would consider looking at Boone, NC. Harlan has more potential than Boone, IMO.
Sorry if I hijacked your topic with my ideas big G. You just got me thinking.
"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government." --Thomas Jefferson
Fox

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:41 pm

Fox wrote:Sounds like some good ideas to me except the industry idea. I hate to sound pessimistic and negative but I think I am realistic about the issue. I just don't think you are going to get any real, stand-on-their-own industries of any quality in Harlan (at least any time soon.) I may be wrong and I hope I am, but I just don't see it happening. I don't think the infrastructure is there or it is too neglected to support industry. I think our college is a diamond in the rough and could be easily built upon and supported to where it is a thriving four year institution (totally in the county). I think a lot of progress in our county would soon follow. It usually does in college towns. It is a shame that the closest public four year institution/university is in another state. I think tourism is a possibility for continued growth, but ain't gonna happen like it should until someone cleans up the county. It looks like a pig pen. Sorry if I offend, but it's the truth. I remember seeing weeds growing in the road grime on the median about 3 ft high this past summer on the bypass within city limits. Pure neglect of the town's aesthetics by our officials. Heck if they don't try why should anyone else. Someone mentioned going to other areas for ideas. I would consider looking at Boone, NC. Harlan has more potential than Boone, IMO.

Think about it. Any manufacturing that comes in here will be at minimum wage level. If they are going to pack up and move it will be south, just south of the border. There will NEVER be any high paying manufacturing jobs in Harlan. It makes no sense. They used to yell huge workforce, but there is a huge workforce everywhere with unemployment what it is today. Most of the good jobs have gone overseas. Nothing is coming to dead end places like this. How many fire hydrants do you pass coming from say Harlan to your house. In my case it's none. What do the streets look like. How easy is it to navigate around town. What kind of a good deal can factory owners expect to get on say a bolt, or a 2X4, or how about the low cost of gasoline or diesel in and around the county. If anyone comes here to look they will probably settle in Bell county. Lots of flat land to build on and the cost of everything drops 30 % when you leave Harlan county. When we stop living in the past and stop being so greedy and lazy then we might get something in here to work at. Till then, not so much...
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Fox » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:47 pm

preach brotha preach. lol. I agree with you 110% About the only thing you see coming to Harlan is these little "fly-by-night" companies that stay until they suck dry their grants, governmental incentives, etc then they take off. When the politicians bring these companies to Harlan, they get their pic all over the front of the paper and it makes them look good for the next election, but I think this actually hurts the county in the long run. A lot of time, tax money, and energy is used to bring these people in knowing they won't be in Harlan long term. These efforts could be better used elsewhere.
I have been reading where scientists are looking at ways to turn Kudzu into a fuel source... Wow Harlan could quickly turn to the richest county in the nation. LOL. First thing ya know ole' Jed's a millionaire ... hehe
"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government." --Thomas Jefferson
Fox

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:38 pm

Fox wrote:Sounds like some good ideas to me except the industry idea. I hate to sound pessimistic and negative but I think I am realistic about the issue. I just don't think you are going to get any real, stand-on-their-own industries of any quality in Harlan (at least any time soon.) I may be wrong and I hope I am, but I just don't see it happening. I don't think the infrastructure is there or it is too neglected to support industry. I think our college is a diamond in the rough and could be easily built upon and supported to where it is a thriving four year institution (totally in the county). I think a lot of progress in our county would soon follow. It usually does in college towns. It is a shame that the closest public four year institution/university is in another state. I think tourism is a possibility for continued growth, but ain't gonna happen like it should until someone cleans up the county. It looks like a pig pen. Sorry if I offend, but it's the truth. I remember seeing weeds growing in the road grime on the median about 3 ft high this past summer on the bypass within city limits. Pure neglect of the town's aesthetics by our officials. Heck if they don't try why should anyone else. Someone mentioned going to other areas for ideas. I would consider looking at Boone, NC. Harlan has more potential than Boone, IMO.

Most is agreeable on this post. Negative sounding, yes! I recall a potential County Judge Ex. candidate who came up with great ideas for this county, but we lost him somewhere between second base and home. MoneyDog's ideas were great and simple and could be put into play, it just takes a little drive from the upstanding leaders of the county who have the inside to make things happen for them. Infrastructure, not much there. Citizens who want to keep the county clean and free of litter, this needs education and enforcement of the law to do anything about that. Harlan county needs a whole lot of work done on it and I can't see that happening.

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:56 pm

Fox wrote:preach brotha preach. lol. I agree with you 110% About the only thing you see coming to Harlan is these little "fly-by-night" companies that stay until they suck dry their grants, governmental incentives, etc then they take off. When the politicians bring these companies to Harlan, they get their pic all over the front of the paper and it makes them look good for the next election, but I think this actually hurts the county in the long run. A lot of time, tax money, and energy is used to bring these people in knowing they won't be in Harlan long term. These efforts could be better used elsewhere.
I have been reading where scientists are looking at ways to turn Kudzu into a fuel source... Wow Harlan could quickly turn to the richest county in the nation. LOL. First thing ya know ole' Jed's a millionaire ... hehe

If they could find a use for kudzu, poison ivy, water weeds, milk jugs, and used pampers we would corner the market...
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:10 pm

Those are some really great ideas....for the most part. :D (I think the garden at the jail is a good idea).
It might be a good idea if everything they grew went to feed the prisoners and not their families.

Postby Chase » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:25 pm

It would also be nice that people cared about their communities and not throw Mcdonald's bags out of their car. I kind of think when I passed that garbage the next trip up the road, I would feel a little ashamed of myself for doing that. But.....NO......probably didn't even enter their minds.

One of my pet peeves after Christmas is seeing a Christmas tree thrown out on the side of the road. How long would it take to just set it on fire and burn it? Better yet I think the fish and game would like it to put it in the lake. I heard that somewhere. Getting back on topic, I am beginning to think some of the people in Harlan County and other counties doesn't want it to change for the better.
Chase
(no custom rank chosen)

Next

Return to Harlan County Politics