Obama Girls Get Swine Flu Shots

General discussion about local politics.

Postby Jack Rabbit » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:10 am

The Obama daughters, Malia and Sasha, have gotten their swine flu shots.
The White House has been flooded with questions about whether the First Family has been vaccinated against H1N1, the swine flu virus.
The administration posted the answer on its Web site Tuesday: President Obama and his wife Michelle will “wait until the needs of the priority groups” –- including young people under 24, pregnant women and people with underlying illnesses –- have been vaccinated. But Malia, 11, and Sasha, 8, fall within the priority groups, and they received their injections last week from the White House doctor, who applied for the vaccine through the District of Columbia Department of Health “using the same process as every other vaccination site in the District.’’

Dena Iverson, a spokeswoman for the District of Columbia Health Department, says that while there are lines at the District’s vaccination clinics, no one who is in a priority group has been turned away.

The vaccinations are bound to raise questions about whether the Obama girls were given special treatment. The administration is grappling with questions about why the vaccine is not more readily available. Officials, including the secretary of heath and human services, Kathleen Sebelius, say the holdup is with the manufacturers, whose production process has been slower than anticipated.

But at the same time, the White House may be trying to set a positive example amid concerns about the vaccine’s safety. Sharing the news that the president has allowed his own daughters to receive the shots could assuage the fears of ordinary Americans who are wondering whether or not to get vaccinated.
Jack Rabbit

Re: Obama Girls Get Swine Flu Shots

Postby Chase » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:13 am

I commend Michelle and Obama for letting the girls get the shots. That was their choice to let the children be vaccinated. I just hope they do well with it. Obama has many people around him in his administration I have my doubts about, but I don't have any doubts he is a good father and loves his family very much.
Chase
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:58 am

Their daughters didn't get the vaccine. This is just a ploy so everyone else will fall in line.

Postby fairviewcrew » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:14 am

Or maybe Obama is a genius and is using reverse psychology to prevent critics from being vaccinated! He knows that some people will not get the shot just because he advises it, thus the more he pushes it, the more his opponents will resist. Then his opponents are at risk of serious complication, even death, from swine flu. :lol: (Sarcasm, of course.)
America is woven of many strands. I would recognize them and let it so remain. Our fate is to become one, and yet many.This is not prophecy, but description.
Ralph Ellison
fairviewcrew

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:38 am

Err body knows that black people don't take vaccines unless forced. Shoot, the swine flu vaccine might make them allergic to pork, and aint no brotha gonna risk dat.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Devil Dog » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:32 am

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:Err body knows that black people don't take vaccines unless forced. Shoot, the swine flu vaccine might make them allergic to pork, and aint no brotha gonna risk dat.

Thats to funny!!!
What makes the grass grow? BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD!!!
Devil Dog

Postby fairviewcrew » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:01 pm

It is the responsibility of the leadership to respond with a level-head in time of crisis. H1N1 is real and is a real threat. If enough people refuse vaccination it will cause many unnecessary deaths. The vaccine should not be made mandatory, but if people arm themselves with real facts many will see the benefit of the vaccination. I hate greedy American pharmaceutical companies as much as the next person, but I'm not going to risk dying over it. Besides, they have more to gain financially from the medications that will be required during hospitalizations from this flu than the vaccines.
America is woven of many strands. I would recognize them and let it so remain. Our fate is to become one, and yet many.This is not prophecy, but description.
Ralph Ellison
fairviewcrew

Postby Gladys » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:29 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:Err body knows that black people don't take vaccines unless forced. Shoot, the swine flu vaccine might make them allergic to pork, and aint no brotha gonna risk dat.

:D :lol: :P :twisted: :mrgreen:
Don't Trust any of um!!!
Gladys
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Jack Rabbit » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:33 pm

Haha I knew this wouldnt last long in Breaking News. :lol:
Jack Rabbit

Postby Jack Rabbit » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:16 pm

Mr. K. wrote:
Jack Rabbit wrote:Haha I knew this wouldn't last long in Breaking News. :lol:

Well of course not. Obama's daughters is not a local breaking news story...

I know :lol: I was just Aggravating you Adms and Mods.Keep you on your toes.LOL
Jack Rabbit

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Mr K is correct that the people who are benefiting from the vaccine is the pharmaceutical companies. Listed below are the 5 companies that have contracted with the US Department of Health and Human Services to create the vaccine.
These numbers are from May, and June alone. These numbers are taken from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services website.
Novartis: $979,144,920

GSK: $253,400,000

Sanofi Pasteur: $252,425,000

CSL Biotherapies: $180,000,000

MedImmune: $96,100,800
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby fairviewcrew » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:51 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:Mr K is correct that the people who are benefiting from the vaccine is the pharmaceutical companies. Listed below are the 5 companies that have contracted with the US Department of Health and Human Services to create the vaccine.
These numbers are from May, and June alone. These numbers are taken from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services website.

That doesn't mean the pharmaceutical companies are creating a scare to gain money. The threat of this flu is very real! I just read a re-post on myspace asking for prayer for a small child in SEVERE condition due to H1N1. The family possibly lives in Harlan or at least has a Harlan connection. Please keep that little child in your thoughts. Some of you probably know a lot more about it than I do.
Ralph Ellison
fairviewcrew

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:35 am

I'll bet not one of these is an American company. I'll also bet the Obama girls only got saline in their injections...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:22 pm

That doesn't mean the pharmaceutical companies are creating a scare to gain money.
You are correct. The Obama Administration is using the scare tactict, the pharmaceutical companies are going to the bank.
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Captain America » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:58 pm

I think the media has covered this way too much, but it has also provided information about this virus and what is needed to combat it. If you think this is a normal flu virus, then you havent read enough. Its proven to do more harm to younger ages, anywhere from 2-3 year olds, all the way up in the 20s and thirties. Normally, seasonal flu affects the eldery and those with conditions that affect their breathing capacity. This one is different. 48 states now have widespread H1N1 and it will continue to spread, and the death toll will be much higher than regular influenza, because of it being a different strain, and more easily transmitted because of that fact. I have read pages and pages of information from the cdc and othe sites, talked to my doctor, my kids doctor, and other professionals, trying to make an informed decision on whether to get vaccinated, and after doing much research, decided to get the shot for me and my family. I urge you to read and educate yourselves, dont base your decision on politics, and either get vaccinated or dont, but dont do it without knowing all you can about the whole situation. Many years ago, smallpox, measles, mumps, rubella, and other diseases took many children and adults away from their families, that is until a vaccine was created. No doubt, people were afraid and worried then too, but those diseases are all but gone now because of those vaccines. This one is no different. But its your decision, just make sure you educate yourselves before making it.
Captain America

Next

Return to Harlan County Politics