What is Asset Recycling?

General discussion about local politics.

What is Asset Recycling?

Postby Cate McCalley » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:31 am

It’s an innovative tool to stimulate private investment into public infrastructure. It’s also a monumental underpinning of the revitalization & modernization of America’s Infrastructure in Trump’s budget proposal. A $1.5 Trillion Infrastructure proposal that only taps the U. S. Treasury for a $200 Billion contribution, while the rest of the $1.5 Trillion comes from State & local governments and private investors.

It’s a complex proposal that requires State & Local governments to build agencies that can attract expertise to help them best figure out which government assets they own, that can be successfully leased or bought by private developers. The devil, as always, is in the detail.

Figuring out which assets to lease (especially the length of the lease), and which to sell outright is a critical component to the success or failure of localities, and their vision to manage population growth and sustain a healthy tax base to maintain infrastructure.

For instance Chicago leased prime property and its parking meters for 75 years to private investors to develop and control public parking facilities and parking violations. if Parking garage fees tripled, as did the towing of private vehicles that replaced City ‘boots’ (a device that immobilized vehicles with unpaid parking violations until the tickets were paid). The result? More public transportation commutes into and out of the Loop. Which in turn put more stresses and demand on public metro lines. At the moment Chicago desperately needs to extend it’s ‘Red Line’ an additional two miles, at a cost of $2 Billion the City doesn’t have.

Had Chicago City planners given private parking garage developers renewable 20 year leases, rather than 75 years, the City would have been in the position to re-evaluate and renegotiate it’s public revenue stream.

The State of Virginia recently ran the following ad;
‘Program Manager to lead identification and development of innovative solutions and technolog-based concepts to enhance the efficiency of Transportation systems in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Position closes February 5, 2018.’

The ad had a link describing the qualifications needed for the job, but the link has since been removed. I can only imagine the complexities of this job.

The Trump Administration’s proposal for revitalizing and modernizing our nation’s infrastructure calls for local and State agency implementation and oversight agency expertise local and State governments simply don’t have. Where will it come from? There’s only two choices; State & local governments and private industry.

If local governments want people to best serve their localities short and long term economic interest, they will have to elect people that have a firm grasp on the impact of State and Federal government’s infrastructure revitalization plans on both short and long term impacts on their local economies.

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Re: What is Asset Recycling?

Postby upallnight » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:43 am

Chicago gave 75 yr leases because of shady backroom deals and kick backs.
upallnight

Postby Cate McCalley » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:20 pm

upallnight wrote:Chicago gave 75 yr leases because of shady backroom deals and kick backs.

I mentioned the Chicago problem to point out the necessity for local governments to put people in charge, that have the knowledge, experience and vision to make both short and long term decisions affecting its’ short and long term economic future.

I haven’t researched the nuts and bolts of the Chicago deal and have no idea what happened. I don’t know if you have evidence to support your claim or not. I no longer live in Chicago and I’m not at all interested in doing the research to figure it out.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:22 pm

The Chicago way baby! You know this Cate!
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Cate McCalley » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:32 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:The Chicago way baby! You know this Cate!

Heck G, we’re in the 21st century and some people still stick pins in voodoo dolls. I probably think I know something, but until I can prove it, I have to admit it’s speculation at best.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Return to Harlan County Politics