Storm Damage

A place to post news-related photos observed throughout the county. Ex: fires, political events, meetings. NO VEHICLE ACCIDENT PHOTOS.

Re: Storm Damage

Postby Nikki » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:44 pm

Attachments
205074_1802478633727_1592690262_1693389_7540834_n.jpg
If you don't like my opinion, you don't have to read it.
Nikki
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:02 pm

Nikki.Loves.Jimmy wrote:...

Fluke blew them down manually...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Nikki » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:18 pm

I actually stole that pic from a friend's facebook lol
Nikki
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Jennifer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:26 pm

We where driving home on 119 and a tree hit our truck. We thought we where dead.

The Animal Shelter had minor damage but due to a broken window/water we lost all our adult dog food, a lot of kitty litter and all of our doggie treats. All the babies are traumatized.

My mother was driving home from Johnson city and had to pull over twice and take cover..

LOL YES in this last picture that is a car door on the side of the road!
Bring me your abused,bring me your lost souls looking for a home.Bring me the weak and sick,bring me the forgotten ones huddled on the street.{RB}
Jennifer
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:05 pm

So far only one county had a confirmed toronado.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby RAP » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:27 pm

We have had these kind of winds before. I remember when I worked on the hill beside Hall High School that I was looking out the window and saw the trees almost hit the ground they were so bent over and I could see the path of the wind and it was coming right toward the office. I ran to the back of the building it scared me so bad but it just kept on going right over the top of the building and I came back out. It hasn't been a year or so and high winds blew down billboards and traffic lights on the bypass. Remember it was about then that Mr K made Josie stop putting pictures of accidents on the forum until the news was out, and family had been notified? These are a couple of many that I have seen through the years but I have never seen a tornado or anything kin to one, just high winds that got caught between the mountains, and to me that is enough.
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby campee » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:32 pm

Jennifer - do you all have the funds to replace the food, etc?
campee

Postby the fluke » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:44 pm

i can tell you that it sure was a great big lot of wind and rain because i was caught out in it. scared me. and i do not scare very easily. :o
the fluke
the fluke
Mountain Man

Postby RAP » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:06 pm

My husband and daughter got caught in one quite a few years ago and he had to pull the car alone side a stone building as close as he could get because of wind and debris flying in the wind. He figured if they got near the building it would be some protection. It worked pretty good because nothing big hit them and it only lasted maybe five minutes. Scared him to Fluke and that ain't easy to do either. Nature can bring a lot of us to our knees when we realize the damage one can do if they can control it and we know someone who can.
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby Jennifer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:12 am

campee wrote:Jennifer - do you all have the funds to replace the food, etc?

Campee, as for funding I have no clue, I've not talked to the ACO. But this is why I'm up so late trying to get the word out to get on donations. I'm devastated cause we lost all our treats. It might be trivial to most, but even the smallest comfort to these animals while they in our care means the most. A lot of food and treats comes for donations, after people have donated I hated to beg. Thank you Campee for your concern!
Bring me your abused,bring me your lost souls looking for a home.Bring me the weak and sick,bring me the forgotten ones huddled on the street.{RB}
Jennifer
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:05 am

I suppose what our grandmothers told us is true. The mountians do protect us from toronado's. If you notice the two big wind stoms we have had over the past few years followed the same path up the bypass. I suppose that's because it's the widest open area in the county.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Nikki » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:56 am

I remember last year, Big Lots tried to donate all kinds of dog treats and food.. called several times for them to come and pick them up but no one ever did.
Nikki
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby RAP » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:23 am

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:I suppose what our grandmothers told us is true. The mountians do protect us from toronado's. If you notice the two big wind stoms we have had over the past few years followed the same path up the bypass. I suppose that's because it's the widest open area in the county.

To my knowledge there has never been a tornado touch ground in Harlan County. I know there have been sightings of funnel clouds and high winds but the funnel's do not reach the ground, and from my understanding it is because the weather conditions change because of the mountains. I read an article on the weather conditions for tunnel's to form and before they reach the ground they dissipate here. I don't understand the particulars, nor am I saying it can't happen but I am saying in my life time I don't know of one happening.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby GUEST » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:50 am

Tornado Information For Harlan County, Kentucky
On 05/26/2004, a tornado touched down 14.42 miles from the center of Harlan County, Kentucky. The tornado was rated a category 0 . There were 0 injuries and 0 fatalities.

On 04/04/1974, a tornado touched down 14.7 miles from the center of Harlan County, Kentucky. The tornado was rated a category 0 . There were 0 injuries and 0 fatalities. Damages ranged from $50 to $500.

On 06/22/1990, a tornado touched down 14.74 miles from the center of Harlan County, Kentucky. The tornado was rated a category 0 . There were 0 injuries and 0 fatalities. Damages ranged from $5,000 to $50,000.

On 03/27/1983, a tornado touched down 14.83 miles from the center of Harlan County, Kentucky. The tornado was rated a category 1 . There were 0 injuries and 0 fatalities. Damages ranged from $500 to $5,000.

On 05/26/2004, a tornado touched down 14.92 miles from the center of Harlan County, Kentucky. The tornado was rated a category 1 . There were 0 injuries and 0 fatalities.

Postby Jennifer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:39 am

Nikki.Loves.Jimmy wrote:I remember last year, Big Lots tried to donate all kinds of dog treats and food.. called several times for them to come and pick them up but no one ever did.

I have no clue about, I'll ask about it, cause I don't remember anyone saying anything about it. This is not last year, this is now, and I know we are in need..
Jennifer
(no custom rank chosen)

PreviousNext

Return to Harlan County News Photos