Beautiful and Breathtaking!!!!

A place to post news-related photos observed throughout the county. Ex: fires, political events, meetings. NO VEHICLE ACCIDENT PHOTOS.

Re: Beautiful and Breathtaking!!!!

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:47 am

Show the true pictures of that shit hole at Dayhoit. Infested with rats and garbage and anything else you want to find over there. Needles and left over drug shit. If you live close to there Jenifer then go take some still shots of the mess that has been left for those people living there. You have only seen one view of what coal companies leave behind for the little towns and places they move in and move out of. Let mountain top removal move in up in White Star and stay for a hell of a long time and you will see your beautiful creek run red and black and eventually fill up. Tell the true story of it. It isn't what we see and hear on tv, get real girl. It is a fact. You haven't seen nothing in your time yet to compare what it will do to your neighborhood and town you live in. I remember once they had a thing called Dayhoit flea market on here and it was a shocker. That is the pretty aftermath that draws in the trash and you think the coal companies give a damn about it. No they don't. They got what they wanted and to hell with the people who has to eat it after they left. Some of the companies aren't any better than the slum lords who trash the town up. That's all I have to say for now.

Postby RAP » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:57 am

Show me a report of the water supply around that area of ugly pines and scrubs. Of course the top is beautiful it is all new growth with a clean water supply. And ten years that ain't so long, I was just 55 when they did it but now I am to old to do anything with the land even if I wanted to.

The thing you keep saying that irritates me most Jen is that the miners have a right to make a living for their families. Where in any of my posts have I ever said anything about stopping mining? Never! I have and do still say you can get the Coal cleanly and Safely if the owners would invest a little of their profit to do so, it would just take more time and less money in their pockets instead of the LOSS of jobs now and the complete Loss of jobs when the coal is gone.

I am not an expert on mining, but I have been around it all my life and I know the difference between strip and mountain top removal and have said so many times. The industry is the one that class them as the same not me.

You lived in two homes with the water that was destroyed by strip mining!! So did I, the difference between you and I is that I lived there when the wells had good water for decades before striping and then was still there when the striping started and the water went bad. You moved there after the water was already ruined.

I am done talking with you about this because you are talking about refurbished land that you have seen because of the four wheeling you have done to see the sites, you feel like you know it all but if you would take the time to go to the people that had the land to start with and still live there you would get a completely different and more knowledgeable aspect on what has and is going on. I am to old and busy and it does not affect me and my income so you young know it Al's just keep on until there is no coal left in Harlan and the owners have moved on to destroy another naturally beautiful place with the natural energy supply to last hundreds of years or more if done with the preserving of the land in it's natural state in mind, and if I am still alive I will say I told you so.

Harlan is Coal and when it is gone, then Harlan is gone! That is it unless people like Brandon and a few others that are trying to bring other industry in here, helping them clean and keep it clean would help us to better our resources in every way but that involves a lot of caring and work not just talking.
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby Chase » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:36 am

RAP, you said it right girl! We probably won't be around to see it, but we have children and grandchildren who will not know the beauty of growing up with land untouched. Our hickory trees, our oaks, maples, chesnuts will be no more because they will not reclaim with those trees. If they did they would be stolen and placed in someone's yard. LOL

Good post my friend! I don't have to say anymore cause I feel the same way.
I like the end when you said Harlan is Coal and when it is gone, Harlan will be gone. Very true.
Chase
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby ~CJ~ » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:51 am

Both sides have very valid points and concerns about strip mining. I am not an expert in mining, as many of us aren't, but I would like to know if there are options available in strip mining, or mining in general, that protect our natural resources. Are there any solutions that would not destroy the mining industry as well as our natural resources?
~CJ~

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:36 am

~CJ~ wrote:Both sides have very valid points and concerns about strip mining. I am not an expert in mining, as many of us aren't, but I would like to know if there are options available in strip mining, or mining in general, that protect our natural resources. Are there any solutions that would not destroy the mining industry as well as our natural resources?

These solutions are already in place... These novices just don't know... It is interesting to hear them talk... When you try to speak intelligently on a subject you know nothing about it really makes you look foolish... There is no need arguing with them because of their lack of knowledge they can't be persuaded... As long as they are getting their facts from Richard Geer, and Susan Sarandon, and other celebrities, idols___ gods if you will, they will never know what is actually going on five miles from their home...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby RAP » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:24 am

~CJ~ wrote:Both sides have very valid points and concerns about strip mining. I am not an expert in mining, as many of us aren't, but I would like to know if there are options available in strip mining, or mining in general, that protect our natural resources. Are there any solutions that would not destroy the mining industry as well as our natural resources?

I really don't know except what I have read in article from both sides and the side for clean mining makes more sence to me. I have my opinion and it did not come from some celebrity trying to further there career by publicity. I have lived here all my life except when we went on an out of town Job. My husband was a construction worker. My father was a coal miner. I do know from life experience that I had clean water until they started to strip above me and then all the water on in that area went bad. So you make up your own mind because mine has been made from living in and around the coal industry for most of my life. Harlan is my Home and I love it here and want my grand children to be able to live here. I have seen life outside of Harlan and I do not want to lose my home to greed.
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby Chase » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:14 pm

Rustygabe wrote:

These solutions are already in place... These novices just don't know... It is interesting to hear them talk... When you try to speak intelligently on a subject you know nothing about it really makes you look foolish... There is no need arguing with them because of their lack of knowledge they can't be persuaded... As long as they are getting their facts from Richard Geer, and Susan Sarandon, and other celebrities, idols___ gods if you will, they will never know what is actually going on five miles from their home...

Rusty, I don't listen to the celebs. As a matter of a fact I didn't even know those two were even advocates against MTR. God if anyone should be for it, it should be me because of the connection with mining I have in my family. I don't apologize for being against MTR. I apologize for my contribution to it if I have any. Conventional strip mining is my family's way of life and they know how I feel about the MTR mining. There is a big difference and we all know it between the two types of mining, eventho the ones pushing for MTR say there isn't any difference.

Rusty you have Stella Parton on your side who in the world would need someone like Susan S? LOL....I know and have known for years what has been going on around my house and what type of mining and where it's at and who's mining it. Even around Harlan County as a whole.

I had to see a very bad mud slide once that came down a road and nearly took some homes with it. I had to stand there and see those people move out of their homes and I had to stand and have fingers pointed at some of my family members. You know something? That taught me a lesson on what could happen and I felt so badly for those families. They were taken care of and even their homes were made better, but the terrior of that night with cold and ice with mud and rock and trees coming out of that mountain scared me too death. Living with that dread with mining on a mountain top above me made me realize that I wouldn't want to live in its' path of destruction.
Chase
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby RAP » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:01 pm

You know Chase it is kind of funny, I don't know who any of these celebrities are or what they do. I don't watch TV and my movie watching is very rare. I can't do anything that can't be interrupted. To many distractions of Mamma. That is where some of my more ludicrous posts come from. :D :D :D
RAP
The Waltons

Postby Jennifer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:37 pm

In all seriousness, if you take out the coal factor, would industry would you be comfortable coming in here and providing jobs? Cause I guarantee you that anything you say, I could show you a environmental impact closure of what it would do to the area. Anything is going to impact our mountains.

I'm sorry I didn't grow up hating the coal companies, you have a reason not to trust them, I don't. This is not the 70's or 30's, many of these companies are ran by men and woman who fought for the right to be here and have a fare shake at life. I've been to just about every mining site in the county to know that you can't just read something and take it for fact.

For the water in my previous homes, seltzer and iron are very common in water wells. There is no proof that any of that was caused my strip mining. I've got a friend in Wallins who has natural gas that runs though the well, no mines in site, never been anything up there..

I've been posting these pictures to prove that eventually the mountains reclaim themselves. People run around and bitch, piss and moan about anything that is done here. Just like other topics about the water park and so forth. Yes people have the right to state their grievances in any form they wish, but god I'm waking up to find that Harlan is full of nothing but crybabies. Guest cry me a river, lets see how clean that would be. As for Dayhoit, stop hating, these are good people who are trying to get something done. Most of all if people OUTSIDE of the community would STOP dumping here.

Go drive to VA, look at what they did to the mountains carving out that shiny new road, look. So because this is a road that you can use, I don't see anyone complaining about it. They cut into natural habitats for bear and elk, so now they are running around in the road. Oh and they didn't plant any trees back, even them ugly pine trees would have been better than nothing.

Sorry, I've always been a find out for myself kind of person. Sort of like my mother, I have to see, touch, inform myself to believe. I'm not going to sit here and read something and just believe it. Sorry that I'm not a follower, mind control just doesn't work on me. Damn see this is why I have no friends around here LOL But just because I live in a small town, don't make my mind small. Toodles..

Oh and just small note, like I've posted before. The Strip Mines located in Harlan do not use the MTR method. SO when your googling make sure not to make that mistake. : P
Bring me your abused,bring me your lost souls looking for a home.Bring me the weak and sick,bring me the forgotten ones huddled on the street.{RB}
Jennifer
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Chase » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:11 pm

Jennifer I am not an environmentalist. I support coal and I support the coal miners more than supporting the coal operators. Everyone that is pro MTR and coal mining just helps to put money in my family's pockets. Do I hate that?Absolutely not. I have a mind of my own tho and just because I don't want to see those beautiful mountains in the back ground of those beautiful pictures you have taken all scarred with mountain top removal projects and trails that look like varicose veins running all over the mountain side, doesn't make me a terrible person. I don't think you or anyone else are terrible people for looking out for the jobs from coal and will go to any extent to extract it.

I loved working in the coal business and loved every load of coal that was put on the rail and in the trucks. I love the road to Va. I didn't love the big political contributions that went along with getting things done to help the coal business tho.

We all have our feelings about mining and I think we all agree we support coal and will fight for mining it. Even tho we don't agree with some of the ways it should be mined, we need it as an industry here.

I hate to say this, and I am an ATV lover of riding the things, but most everyone who rides those old reclaimed trails are only adding to the destruction of that reclaimed land. You think those flowers and ponds are beautiful now, just wait about ten years.
Chase
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Against MTM » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:22 am

I don't know if you all realize it or not
but those pretty flowers and vegatation dies
in the winter time and that is when the water runs
off the hills and all the mud starts to trickle down the
mountains. Take some pictures of that. Nice in the
spring and summer, but looks like hell in the winter months.
Add the four wheeler tearing up what is sowed and you got
a mess. I helped reclaim too much around here and I know
how it works.
Against MTM

Postby RAP » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:30 pm

Yeah MTR but we are the ones that are dumb and ignorant and depend on google. Of course those that have went to collage know all this stuff and they know all about coal because they jumped on the band wagon of ignorance and they say we are know it alls that listen to celebrities that we have never heard of before, and of course we have the so called educated who hasn't had as much collage as I have. And we know, knows nothing about mining except what they have been told. Rusty knows a lot about mining he has lived it but there are a lot of miner that would disagree with him also, and some have right on here. Whether you are talking about striping or Mountain Top Removal, you are talking of years of reconstruction that can never repair the Mountain top to it original beauty or ecological balance. I hate what they are doing to the natural order of things in this area.
It would take an imbecile to compare Shopping Centers and Roads to Mountain Top Removal.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby the fluke » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:31 pm

dah :o
the fluke
the fluke
Mountain Man

Previous

Return to Harlan County News Photos