Coal Rally

A place to post news-related photos observed throughout the county. Ex: fires, political events, meetings. NO VEHICLE ACCIDENT PHOTOS.

Re: Coal Rally

Postby Chase » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:52 pm

RAPBTP wrote:Maybe Chase it's because there aren't any mines here
in Harlan that have UMWA and the workers don't want
them to be here. :?: :?: :?:

May be that they don't RAPBTP, but I would take any help I could get to reach the ears of the ones who most need to hear it and that is politicians. I am talking federal. I don't think the states will have any impact on trying to save coal jobs or to defeat the cap and trade. This is big from the top of the capitol.

I wasn't talking of organizing or going down that road, but since the unions were so into the liberal democrat party it wouldn't hurt to have that support. If the workers don't want them here then so be it. I really think the states of Pa. and W.Va and Va have a big hand in this also. If the permits are being questioned and being held up......who is holding them up?

As far as the UMWA, just think of all the pensions and benefits of the retirees that will be affected if this coal business is on the way south. If I was a retired miner whether union or non union, you bet your booties I would be standing there (if able) holding up my banner. How about the black lung program and what will happen to that if the bottom falls out of the coal market? I hope all can be on board and if the miners don't want them then they are cutting their nose off to spite their face. I guess that was a bad suggestion for the unions, sorry just trying to get more on board to help.
Chase
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby RAP » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:00 pm

Hay you are right but they are not here anymore. So
sorry too. Good though tho. :idea: :idea:
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby the fluke » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:53 pm

I myself have never worked for a union company, and I do not have anything against the union, simply because if it was not for the union we would not make the money that we do today. I have worked for 34 years and i hope to soon retire and i want my last years to be at a coal mines not at some low paying job. I know we all have to work whereever we can to survive. your retirement is based on your best paying years. :D
the fluke
the fluke
Mountain Man

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:26 pm

Since the Obama campaign had big union support, at least the UMWA should send in bus loads of supporters for coal. I always thought UMWA and Steelworkers usually tried to ban together for any cause when they know it will directly affect their jobs as well as any jobs.
Maybe the UMWA wasn't contacted about the rally.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby FallenAngel » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:31 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:
Since the Obama campaign had big union support, at least the UMWA should send in bus loads of supporters for coal. I always thought UMWA and Steelworkers usually tried to ban together for any cause when they know it will directly affect their jobs as well as any jobs.
Maybe the UMWA wasn't contacted about the rally.

Then maybe someone should contact them about the next one.
“Stop trying to fit in when you were born to stand out.”
FallenAngel
The Fallen One

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:54 pm

The next rally needs to be about Coal Severance money.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:54 am

This being a coal rally or anywhere there is any event held for coal, the unions should support this cause. Since the Obama campaign had big union support, at least the UMWA should send in bus loads of supporters for coal.
Surely you jest. The owner, operators don't want any union support at the rallys.

Postby Chase » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:01 pm

Well that is their loss. Everyone needs to support their means of living no matter who. The operators have as much to lose as the miners do. I would hate to see those big machines being carted out of here on repo trucks. I would also hate to see the bankruptcy lists of the companies that have closed. It doesn't matter how the operators feel about the Union UMWA, it would be nice to have them on their side. For once put differences aside for the good of these permits. Do they not think the union mines don't need those permits too? What is hurting the whole deal is the MTR permits that are grouped in with the strip mining permits. Gosh, this is not the time to single out and separate the miners. Maybe there aren't any union mines other than the one still going at Lynch, are they going to exclude these people? Look at all the retirees from Arch and U.S. Steele and even as far back as IH. They could go against the cause if insulted.
Chase
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:07 pm

Guest wrote:
This being a coal rally or anywhere there is any event held for coal, the unions should support this cause. Since the Obama campaign had big union support, at least the UMWA should send in bus loads of supporters for coal.
Surely you jest. The owner, operators don't want any union support at the rallys.

Support leads to organizing which would be good for the miners but bad for the owners. Many would close up shop before becoming a union mine.

Postby gonegone » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Guest wrote:

Why would the UMWA send people here, they tried to help here for years and was rejected by the workers of other mines, and some even tried to run us over. I dont think the UMWA is interested in the companies rallies.
gonegone

Postby Chase » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:27 am

GoneGone you are so right about that. It sort of reminds me how our National leadership is now, so divided and going in separate directions and not getting anything done. When I have a cause to support, I welcome anyone to help support that cause whether you are union or non union. We cannot exclude anyone that might help the cause.
Chase
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:58 am

anyone know when another coal rally is gona take place.

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:58 pm

Dear Supporters,

Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. is flying to West Virginia from New York this Thursday to make his case to end coal mining now at a debate with Massey Energy CEO Don Blankenship at the University of Charleston. Kennedy is one of those many professional activists from outside the state who are waging war against Appalachian coal. Unlike the rest of us, he does not understand that coal powers half the electricity on which Americans depend, and that coal creates hundreds of thousands of jobs in mining and many other sectors, keeping people employed, our families financially secure and our communities economically strong.

Join coal supporters from across the region at a pre-debate rally at 5:30 p.m. this Thursday, January 21, at the University of Charleston. Bring your co-workers, your friends and your families. Show Mr. Kennedy that we understand that coal brings us economic prosperity and energy security, and that we will not let outsiders bully us into killing this vital U.S. industry.

Be sure to take a moment to follow the link below and send a letter of support to your state and congressional legislators. Remind them that coal creates and sustains thousands of jobs, our communities rely on the millions of tax dollars generated from coal and that millions of Americans across the country depend on coal for affordable electricity.

Thank you for your support.

Federation for American Coal, Energy and Security

(FACES of Coal)
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Coal Supporter » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:18 pm

Looks like the hold on Massachusettes has been taken over by a new leader and we might have some fight for our stand on this now with the new senator. The tea party or baggers as the president referred to is growing everyday and we must be like the tea party people and let them know we need coal. I wonder what they have planned for the south eastern coal fields and W Virginia coal fields some big nuke plant because of the dense population and think we are just hicks and are expendable. Give some thought to this.
Coal Supporter

Postby Chase » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:08 pm

Ran across a web site Coal Fed Families. I posted on it and I think Randy Walters wrote some of the information. He is a DJ on the 105.1. I don't listen to the radio much and I think that might be the station..
Chase
(no custom rank chosen)

PreviousNext

Return to Harlan County News Photos