Something Aint Right !!

This area is for the discussion of high profile cases within Harlan County. From here you will be able to inquire on cases, judgments, laws, and charges in the public court system.

Re: Something Aint Right !!

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:37 am

"First time offender" is a bit misleading. Most have been doing what they got caught for, for years... it's just the "First time they got caught."
Very true, and many who appear to be a first time offender have been arrested before and has had it plead down to a misdemeanor. Either way, whether it be first time or fifth time offender don't sell drugs if you don't want to go to jail.

Postby hsjohnson » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:27 am

I would really like to know the name of this person, so I could take a look at the case. It may not be too late to make sure the result is just. If anyone knows, pm me. Thanks.
hsjohnson
The Daywalker

Postby RAP » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:13 am

Mr Johnson you seem like a very caring person who has
concern for justice being meeded to everyone. I wish
I had known you a couple years ago. :) :)
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby Starburst » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:30 am

Henry IS a very compassionate person and fair man......the county is lucky to have him !!!!! :D
Starburst

Postby hsjohnson » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:09 am

Starburst. Please come to my office and go through this file with me. I think there is info in there that you should know. Henry
hsjohnson
The Daywalker

Postby Starburst » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:18 am

Sure, Henry......anything to give me some peace of mind about this case.........
Starburst

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:22 am

Private message him and he will explain it.

Postby Fox » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:58 pm

I know it is frustrating, but I wonder how many times the judge hears about an offender "finding religion" or "getting saved." I don't think this should necessarily be a part of a judge's decision IMO. If it is a true conversion then that is absolutely wonderful. The person will have a wide open field to sow the Word while they are doing their time.
"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government." --Thomas Jefferson
Fox

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:16 pm

Sometimes the Lord works in mysterious ways. He may help someone while he is in there, sure a good place to witness. I believe if he keeps the faith , the GOOD LORD will take care of the rest. :!:

Postby Davis » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:41 pm

Starburst wrote:I had to vent and get this off my chest...........
I have a TRUE story to tell, but I will relate it in generalities so as to not convey who the person and his family is....he is a GOOD MAN !!!

I know of a man who had a terrible drug addiction a couple of years ago. He was pulled over by police for a simple traffic violation, and when his vehicle was searched (because he was apparently under the influence) police found TONS of pills. Needles to say, he went to jail. But while he was in jail, he got saved and turned his life around. As soon as he was released, he started faithfully attending church, became active in church ministires, and became a shinning example of a good, helpful, productive citizen. He went to recovery classes and became clean. He also started reaching out to other addicts, helping them with their struggles. EVERYBODY who knew him KNEW that his was a life changed !!!! You could see it in his testimony and in his countenance. He also knew that he would eventually be awaiting his court date, but everyone felt certain the judge would be linient because he had no previous record and he had made such a genunine turnaround in his life. I even heard it myself straight from the horse's mouth (a high-up in law enforcement) that he would make sure his sentencing would be lite.

I just found out the other day, however, that this wonderful man is now locked away in the Harlan County Detenction Center. The judge, apparently, did not go easy with him, despite his shinning witness. This burns me up, because, we've got offenders who are remanded to drug court or given probation who ARE STILL OUT USING and DEALING....but the ONE TIME where there is a life GENUINELY CHANGED FOR THE BETTER, he gets locked away.........his family is very concerned for him.........they're also afraid he will be moved out of Harlan.

This BAFFLES ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't it ironic, the population complains about local drugs, pill and users, yet, when our judge put them behind bars, they complain about them been locked away, IF YOU DO THE CRIME, EXPECT TO DO THE TIME. I personally think Judge Alred is justified in putting them away for life. Now all you whiners, flame away!!
Davis

Postby RAP » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:58 pm

Davis have you ever had someone you love in jail?
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby Jack Rabbit » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:10 pm

Davis wrote:IF YOU DO THE CRIME, EXPECT TO DO THE TIME.

I AGREE with that statement.Davis.Dont know why you think you would get Flamed for that tho. ;)
Jack Rabbit

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:33 pm

RAPBTP wrote:Davis have you ever had someone you love in jail?

Somebody loves everyone of em. Would you turn em all out on that basis??
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Brat » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:06 am

I have always taught my children "if you do the crime you can expect to do the time" That along with the statement "let the punishment fit the crime" should be taken more into account by our judicial system. Unfortunately in this area, its taken for granted that if you "rat" on others, you get less punishment. How this is even remotely considered justice is beyond me. I have inside knowledge of things said and done in some court cases that should be absolutely forbidden. How can Judge Alred KNOW what is best for a person? How is it that he can KNOW what will happen when a person is releaseed? Experience? Perhaps that has a certain validity, but without KNOWING a person, I personally don't think he or anyone else has the right to decide who should and shouldn't be given leniency. I KNOW of one person who was imprisoned for something, they did indeed do. It wasn't a repeated crime, it was truly the first time they were ever in trouble for anything! This person had truly gotten clean BEFORE they were arrested. They were arrested as part of a drug roundup and the evidence against them was from a person who was getting themselves out of trouble by "ratting on someone else, even, dare I say it, ENTRAPPING someone else. We all have stories to tell. Our justice system is sadly lacking in knowledge. Our jails are sadly set up in such a way that the less experienced prisoner is the one who takes the brunt of the punishment. If I were inclined to think it would help, I would attempt to bring about changes in the judicial system. I would attempt to make the conditions in the penal system better. If any of you have ever had anyone close to you in our prison system, you know what I mean. I just don't think my voice or even the voice of many like minded people would do a thing to change the way it is. I would honestly suggest to everyone out there to adopt my philosopy of life. Don't break the law, if you do, be ready, its not going to be nice or fair.
Brat
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Fox » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:14 pm

How can a judge "know" everyone that comes before him/her?
"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government." --Thomas Jefferson
Fox

PreviousNext

Return to Harlan County Judicial Discussion