Something Aint Right !!

This area is for the discussion of high profile cases within Harlan County. From here you will be able to inquire on cases, judgments, laws, and charges in the public court system.

Something Aint Right !!

Postby Starburst » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:28 am

I had to vent and get this off my chest...........
I have a TRUE story to tell, but I will relate it in generalities so as to not convey who the person and his family is....he is a GOOD MAN !!!

I know of a man who had a terrible drug addiction a couple of years ago. He was pulled over by police for a simple traffic violation, and when his vehicle was searched (because he was apparently under the influence) police found TONS of pills. Needles to say, he went to jail. But while he was in jail, he got saved and turned his life around. As soon as he was released, he started faithfully attending church, became active in church ministires, and became a shinning example of a good, helpful, productive citizen. He went to recovery classes and became clean. He also started reaching out to other addicts, helping them with their struggles. EVERYBODY who knew him KNEW that his was a life changed !!!! You could see it in his testimony and in his countenance. He also knew that he would eventually be awaiting his court date, but everyone felt certain the judge would be linient because he had no previous record and he had made such a genunine turnaround in his life. I even heard it myself straight from the horse's mouth (a high-up in law enforcement) that he would make sure his sentencing would be lite.

I just found out the other day, however, that this wonderful man is now locked away in the Harlan County Detenction Center. The judge, apparently, did not go easy with him, despite his shinning witness. This burns me up, because, we've got offenders who are remanded to drug court or given probation who ARE STILL OUT USING and DEALING....but the ONE TIME where there is a life GENUINELY CHANGED FOR THE BETTER, he gets locked away.........his family is very concerned for him.........they're also afraid he will be moved out of Harlan.

This BAFFLES ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Starburst

Re: Something Aint Right !!

Postby RAP » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:41 am

Been there done that. And if he did not rat he will be
sent away from Harlan if what has happened to so
many in the past is any example. Tell him to work hard
if he is able and if not try not to let anyone know because no matter how good he is he will be shipped
out. I was told from the horses mouth "you don't work
you don't stay", even if you have a previous health
problem. Sorry to be so negative but this is the truth.
May you have better success than us. :( :( :(
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby auz » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:58 pm

just because he found some god and appeared to change doesn't change the fact that he broke the law. if the situation was the same and the only difference was he killed someone would you still feel the same?
LOL
auz

Postby RAP » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:19 pm

I know of an example when exactly that did happen.
A young christian came to a mans door to talk about
the bible, the man asked him very nicely if he would
wate a minute to which the young man agreed. The
man went inside his home and game back with a gun
and shot the young man to death. Of course he was
sent to prison. At his trial the parents of the young
teenager approched the murderer and told him how
hard it was to be without thier son but that they knew
he would come back in the ressurection and gave him
some scriptures to look up so he would know that his
victim would live again. To make a long story short
the murderer did look up the scripture and became
a model prisoner and when he served his time became
a minister in the door to door work and put in double
time one for himself and the other for the life he took.
The word of God is alive and exerts power.....
Hebrews 4:12,13. :) :) :)
I will give you this though there have been many jail
house christians just like fox hole christian, when out
of danger they forget who they cried to because they
were just trying to save thier buts. So that is why they
are so many that have turned form the ideal of a God
like you and me. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby DarkFairy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:52 pm

auz wrote:just because he found some god and appeared to change doesn't change the fact that he broke the law. if the situation was the same and the only difference was he killed someone would you still feel the same?

I must say, I agree even though I do think the sentencing is too harsh on first time offenders sometimes.
“One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation”
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby auz » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:19 pm

DarkFairy wrote:
auz wrote:just because he found some god and appeared to change doesn't change the fact that he broke the law. if the situation was the same and the only difference was he killed someone would you still feel the same?

I must say, I agree even though I do think the sentencing is too harsh on first time offenders sometimes.

yeah i totally agree it's probably too harsh but you have to consider the amount of drug offenders that pass through court every day.
LOL
auz

Postby Ana » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:23 pm

I've known several people who have gotten in trouble made a complete turn around and soon as everything was over went back to their old ways.
Ana

Postby Starburst » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:31 pm

It was Christianity that served as the catalyst to reform this man.....and he is.....so far....truly reformed.........and yes, I agree that punishment should have been administered.....I just feel that it was waaaaay to harsh.....ESPECIALLY when others, who have less than a convincing history, have been probated. and are knowingly out trafficking and using again. That's what bothers me.
Starburst

Postby DarkFairy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:32 pm

These "others" were charged with the exact same crime?
“One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation”
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:26 pm

Many find religion while in in jail. He got a harsh sentence because he had a TONS of pills.

Postby RAP » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:14 pm

It seems to me that the bigger crook you are the more
help you will get and the more breaks you will be
given. But let someone who has never done anything
before mess up and they stomp down on them with
both feet. It is very strange. I feel any person that
works in the judicial system should be required to work
in the Jails for a set amount of time, then they would
be able to seperate the small time from the big time
and have a little more mercy. I hope your friend is
given the help he needs and comes out with the same
resolve to change his life for the better instead of
giving up and becoming bitter and resentful as so
many do. :( :( :(
RAP
The Waltons

Postby DarkFairy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:59 am

I agree Rap, the punishment for first time drug offenders seems a bit ridiculous at times. I have heard of a couple that just blew me away. I understand this area has a large amount of drug offenses but to jack up the sentencing on a first time offender is not sensible, give the person a chance to change before banging the hammer down on them and ruining their life. Of course, that is just my opinion and I know most won't agree but oh well.....
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby Chase » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:53 am

Starburst wrote:It was Christianity that served as the catalyst to reform this man.....and he is.....so far....truly reformed.........and yes, I agree that punishment should have been administered.....I just feel that it was waaaaay to harsh.....ESPECIALLY when others, who have less than a convincing history, have been probated. and are knowingly out trafficking and using again. That's what bothers me.

Starburst, I agree with you and I have no reason not to believe everything in your post. You used a word "probated" and that is what I cannot understand is why he was not put on probation, being his first offense. Did the officer testify in his behalf? I hope this man will prove the courts wrong and continue to lead his life the way he turned it around.

Many times the ones who are picked up for selling drugs do not get the punishment they should. A bigger percentage are right back out on the street doing the same thing they were in jail for. I have known cases of getting out and on the same day of their release, they run directly to their old crowd and start buying and eventually start selling again.

It appears your friend did everything he could do to turn his life around and from your statement, it appears justice was not served for the best to the reformed. I was under the impression that is what drug court's long term goals are to help people to turn their life around and stay off drugs.
Chase
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Jack Rabbit » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:13 am

Guest wrote:Many find religion while in in jail.

I dont care where He.She got Religion.I just hope they can keep it cause thats more than i got. ;)
Jack Rabbit

Postby First Amendment » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:38 am

"First time offender" is a bit misleading. Most have been doing what they got caught for, for years... it's just the "First time they got caught."

If he turned his life around for real, maybe he could write a letter to the judge and explain his side of things. It doesn't hurt to try. If it doesn't work, maybe he was placed where he is for a higher reason...
"Take away the right to say 'f!!k' and you take away the right to say 'f!!k the government.'" ~L. Bruce

"Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel." ~Bill Clinton

"Never explain yourself. Your friends don’t need it and your enemies won’t believe it. ~Belgicia Howell
First Amendment

Next

Return to Harlan County Judicial Discussion