Senator Brandon Smith Arrested For DUI!

Please use this forum for late breaking news only. Developing news stories such as traffic accidents, fires, severe weather, road conditions, crime in progress, and things of that nature should be posted here.

Re: Senator Brandon Smith Arrested For DUI!

Postby Demon Hunter » Fri May 22, 2015 8:47 pm

Not guilty by a jury of 12. Case closed!
Demon Hunter

Postby Briscoe » Fri May 22, 2015 8:54 pm

the man said he was innocent and could prove it. he did.
"get that son of a bitch off the field...he's fired." - donald trump
Briscoe
HornDog

Postby Cate McCalley » Fri May 22, 2015 9:45 pm

Briscoe wrote:the man said he was innocent and could prove it. he did.

Money talks, criminals walk.

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Jasmine » Fri May 22, 2015 10:23 pm

Cate McCalley wrote:

You saying money bought 12 jurors? I have a little more sense then think 12 people could be bought. I wasn't there so I don't know if he was driving DUI so I think I will accept the jurors decision.
Jasmine
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Cate McCalley » Fri May 22, 2015 11:24 pm

Jasmine wrote:
Cate McCalley wrote:

You saying money bought 12 jurors? I have a little more sense then think 12 people could be bought. I wasn't there so I don't know if he was driving DUI so I think I will accept the jurors decision.

Not twelve. Maybe one, maybe none. Maybe the prosecutor had a bad day with a headache. A political one, maybe not. Maybe the arresting police officer, the lowest soldier on the front line, got it all wrong. Maybe not. Maybe it's easier to leave the private out to dry, than let the guy up the line with more stripes burn.

No matter, it's a done deal. Nothing to do but file the note.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby ScArEcRoW » Sat May 23, 2015 7:53 am

Maybe he was innocent?
ScArEcRoW
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Jasmine » Sat May 23, 2015 8:39 am

Just like a liberal
Jasmine
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Cate McCalley » Sat May 23, 2015 9:27 am

ScArEcRoW wrote:Maybe he was innocent?

He would know wouldn't he?

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Cate McCalley » Sat May 23, 2015 9:33 am

Jasmine wrote:Just like a liberal

ad hom·i·nem (hŏm′ə-nĕm′, -nəm)
adj.
1. Attacking a person's character or motivations rather than a position or argument: The candidates agreed to focus on the issues rather than making ad hominem attacks against each other.

2. Appealing to the emotions rather than to logic or reason.

American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Jasmine » Sat May 23, 2015 10:42 am

Cate McCalley wrote:

adj.
1. Attacking a person's character or motivations rather than a position or argument: The candidates agreed to focus on the issues rather than making ad hominem attacks against each other.

American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

I didn't know there was such a word that describes exactly what you were doing to Smith.
Jasmine
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Briscoe » Sat May 23, 2015 10:45 am

Jasmine wrote:
Cate McCalley wrote:

adj.

I didn't know there was such a word that describes exactly what you were doing to Smith.

good one jasmine.
"get that son of a bitch off the field...he's fired." - donald trump
Briscoe
HornDog

Postby Cate McCalley » Sat May 23, 2015 12:24 pm

Briscoe wrote:
Jasmine wrote:
Cate McCalley wrote:

adj.

good one jasmine.

Briscoe, there's no logic or reason for Jasmine stating "just like a liberal".. It was an obvious appeal to the emotions of others that formulate a negative view of anything attached to the word "liberal". There's absolutely no logic behind it. Other than personal motivation to discredit anyone that doesn't share her view.

Jasmine has consistently personally attacked me beginning with her first response to one of my first post. In which she inferred I was some "over educated liberal". I apoligized for coming off that way, and quickly let her know that I had not even gone to high school, but had learned most lessons in life through self educating with a minimum formal education. Simply put, it appears Jasmine has some personal axe to grind. No matter. It's none of my concern.

The issue at hand is whether or not Senator Brandon Smith is guilty of DUI. And whether or not some front line government official believed him to be, followed the law and placed him under arrest.

Personally, I don't see the logic in Senator Smith refusing to take a sobriety breath test, unless he was intoxicated and failed the field sobriety test. Which he did. Nor do I see any logic in attacking anyone that uses logic to reach their own conclusion about whether or not Senator Brandon Smith was indeed intoxicated and rightfully arrested.

The fact that he was found innocent by a jury of his peers, does not mean he is innocent. Only he knows for certain if he used the technicalities of the law to avert the consequence of a DUI charge. Whether I believe him to have subverted Justice has no effect on the result.

What I find amazing is the fact that both you and Jasmine are defending the Senator without question.

I was raised to apply logic and formulate my own opinion. I was also taught to question the sincerity of those that uphold the actions (right or wrong) of those they view as "their betters".

It means nothing at all to me whether you and Jasmine or anyone else, believes Senator Brandon Smith is, or is not guilty of the DUI offense. The prisons are filled with the guilty, as well as the innocent.

What does mean something to me is the subversion of our legal system that allows the guilty to go free and the innocent imprisoned.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Jasmine » Sat May 23, 2015 1:07 pm

have agreed with many things that you have wrote here Cate. I just don't agree with you on this. I don't have to. Are you saying you are not a liberal? I can't see any logic in implying a jury of his peers could be paid off. I don't know if he was DUI or not because I wasn't there. A lot of people refuse those tests. What I do know is that 12 people thought he wasn't after going to trial.
Jasmine
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Cate McCalley » Sat May 23, 2015 2:22 pm

Jasmine wrote:have agreed with many things that you have wrote here Cate. I just don't agree with you on this. I don't have to. Are you saying you are not a liberal? I can't see any logic in implying a jury of his peers could be paid off. I don't know if he was DUI or not because I wasn't there. A lot of people refuse those tests. What I do know is that 12 people thought he wasn't after going to trial.

Jasmine, I don't consider my political ideology either strictly Liberal or Conservative. I do my best to evaluate every issue to the best of my ability, without applying the tenets of either of our major Poltical Party's.

Like most Americans, I have lost faith in the two Party's ability to preserve the freedoms guaranteed by our sovereign nation's Constitution. This often puts me on one side of the fence on one issue and the other side of the fence on a different issue. I'm okay with that, as I believe it's more detrimental to our country to blindly follow the tenets of any established Party. When everyone is agreeing, no one is thinking.

With respect to the jury finding Senator Smith not guilty, I have no problem with their verdict. Tainted or not, the majority obviously applied the law, within it's confines, and as presented. They followed instructions and rendered their verdict accordingly. They debated all of ten minutes. Do I agree with the verdict? Yes. The State, by default or design, failed to make their case. Do I believe Senator Smith is innocent of the DUI charge? No, I do not.

In the broader scheme of things it matters, only (in my mind), that Justice was not properly served, albeit it was served. So, I accept the result of the trial by jury as it is the law of the land. Although based on the arresting Officers sworn testimony and sequence of events, I do not agree with it.

I hope this puts the matter to rest. I've learned over a lifetime, that people do pay for their transgressions. In one way or another, whether they realize it or not.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Sat May 23, 2015 8:47 pm

The easiest way to piss off a liberal; call them one... They get fighting mad... Why be embarrassed if you be one, be proud of it... Don't hang your head in shame... I don't want to take any position where I have to hide it... I'm so conservative I make Thomas Jefferson look like a 'New Dealer', and so damned proud I'm about to bust.!!!!
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

PreviousNext

Return to BREAKING NEWS