BREAKING NEWS: Indictment against Anthony Nolan Dismissed

Please use this forum for late breaking news only. Developing news stories such as traffic accidents, fires, severe weather, road conditions, crime in progress, and things of that nature should be posted here.

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Indictment against Anthony Nolan Dismisse

Postby clark bailey » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:21 pm

Jasmine wrote:
Demon Hunter wrote:A grand jury heard the evidence, indicted him, and Kent dismisses it based on the sheriff's audit which has no bearing on the case. He doesn't understand his job.

He based his decision on that? I never heard of a judge doing that before. I didn't think they were allowed to make personal statements like that.

From what I understand it was dismissed because it is alleged that the former sheriff used "misleading statements" in his grand jury testimony. That is according to WYMT tonight. It was also returned to the grand jury to review further evidence if any comes up, once again according to the report on WYMT.
clark bailey

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:29 am

Hendrickson crossed the line by questioning his credibility referring to the audit. He is not suppose to do that. One has nothing to do with the other, and he injected his personal feelings towards Marvin. What Evidence? What could be presented except changed testimony or something after the fact. I am only speaking regarding the ruling, and not the case. It's a slap in the face of Grand Jury proceedings. To have a judge throw out an indictment from the Grand Jury should tell you all you need to know about that court.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Jasmine » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:52 am

This court system is not set up to protect women and children from pedophiles and sexual abuse. That is why there are so many of them here in Harlan County. These acts are accepted. Everyone knows that. Nolan may or may not be innocent. The grand jury found enough to indict him and a jury should decide if he is guilty or not.
Jasmine
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Cate McCalley » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:22 am

I don't know anything about the case. My comment is limited to the Judge's power to review the underlying cause for an indictment.

The Grand Jury is charged with examining the evidence in a case, and determining if it is credible enough to warrant an indictment. In the event the presiding Judge finds the evidence (germane to the indictment) was tainted or tampered with, he/she has cause to dismiss an indictment.

I don't know anything about the case. My comment is limited to the Judge's power to review the underlying cause for an indictment and act accordingly.

I'm not defending the Judges actions. I know nothing of the evidence presented and ruled upon. I'm only pointing out the Court has every right to examine the credibility of its own Officers. It's unusual, but the fact is Marvin actions as Sheriff have found to be unfit for an Officer of the Court, has impeached his credibility. Justice depends on those charged public trust to be protectors of our Rule of Law, not abusers of it.

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Jasmine » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:11 am

Everyone knows about the audits. The sheriff's wasn't the only one that made the news. His was the only one that ended up as a witch hunt. Nolan's lawyer could have presented the facts about anything misleading and let a jury decide the creditability of the testimony. Guilty or not the judge has tainted the outcome.
Jasmine
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Pappy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:27 am

Jasmine wrote:Everyone knows about the audits. The sheriff's wasn't the only one that made the news. His was the only one that ended up as a witch hunt. Nolan's lawyer could have presented the facts about anything misleading and let a jury decide the creditability of the testimony. Guilty or not the judge has tainted the outcome.

The Judge and Nolans Lawyers worked together to dismiss this case.
Pappy
Hardee's Parking Lot

Postby PharmGirl » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:30 am

#FreeAnthonNolan worked. :roll: :roll: :roll:
PharmGirl

Postby clark bailey » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:39 am

Cate McCalley wrote:I don't know anything about the case. My comment is limited to the Judge's power to review the underlying cause for an indictment.

The Grand Jury is charged with examining the evidence in a case, and determining if it is credible enough to warrant an indictment. In the event the presiding Judge finds the evidence (germane to the indictment) was tainted or tampered with, he/she has cause to dismiss an indictment.

I don't know anything about the case. My comment is limited to the Judge's power to review the underlying cause for an indictment and act accordingly.

I'm not defending the Judges actions. I know nothing of the evidence presented and ruled upon. I'm only pointing out the Court has every right to examine the credibility of its own Officers. It's unusual, but the fact is Marvin actions as Sheriff have found to be unfit for an Officer of the Court, has impeached his credibility. Justice depends on those charged public trust to be protectors of our Rule of Law, not abusers of it.

Hell may very well freeze over, but you're right, if the judge feels his testimony was false and misleading then he not only the right but a duty to do what is right.
clark bailey

Postby upallnight » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:00 am

Jasmine wrote:Everyone knows about the audits. The sheriff's wasn't the only one that made the news. His was the only one that ended up as a witch hunt. Nolan's lawyer could have presented the facts about anything misleading and let a jury decide the creditability of the testimony. Guilty or not the judge has tainted the outcome.

Amen & Amen!
upallnight

Postby Pappy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:19 am

Pappy wrote:

Hey Bro Kent can you do me a Favor?Dismiss something for my client, ill have another Bud with you.
Pappy
Hardee's Parking Lot

Postby upallnight » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:21 am

Pappy wrote:
Pappy wrote:

Hey Bro Kent can you do me a Favor?Dismiss something for my client, ill have another Bud with you.

Hammer & Nail - Nail & Hammer!
upallnight

Postby Cate McCalley » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:05 pm

Jasmine, would it be fair to anyone if a case was tried where facts were previously established, that the basis of the charge could not be proven?

Putting the question of Nolan's innocence or guilt aside, it's incumbant on the State to prove his guilt. He is innocent until proven guilty. If, for any reason Courts Officers , acting on behalf of enforcing State and Federal Laws, has acted improperly in procuring physical evidence or testimony, that would prove Nolan's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, the States case against him falls apart.

If such evidence is discovered that proves the underlying basis of the Grand Jury's indictment was unwarranted. That evidence was obtained illegally, without due process, or tampered with either before, during or after the indictment the presiding Judge has cause to dismiss the indictment.

As I said before, I don't know the details of this case. But I do know that Officers of the Court can be held to the highest standards of diligence and proof, when anyone is charged with a committing a crime. Innocent until proven guilty places the burden of proof on those making the charge, not the other way around. If and when it is discovered the State is unable to prove its case, without respect to innocence or guilt of the person charged, the only options are dismissal of the case, or proceeding with what will ultimately be declared a mistrial.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:22 pm

According to the Surprise, sounds to me like there was no evidence against him...Don't want to send an innocent man to jail because somebody's kid didn't get enough playing time... If he did something, fuck him up, but if he didn't leave him the hell alone!!! He never actually dismissed the charges against him anyway... He's sending it back to the grand jury... Sounds like Hendrickson did exactly what the law allows for him to do...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Cate McCalley » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:29 pm

Angry Whiteguy wrote:According to the Surprise, sounds to me like there was no evidence against him...Don't want to send an innocent man to jail because somebody's kid didn't get enough playing time... If he did something, fuck him up, but if he didn't leave him the hell alone!!! He never actually dismissed the charges against him anyway... He's sending it back to the grand jury... Sounds like Hendrickson did exactly what the law allows for him to do...

I agree. Obviously something was discovered that proceeding with a trial at this point, would have compromised the States burden of proof. It's a wise decision.

Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby goat47 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:33 pm

The Prosecution had to think their was a case for them to move forward.
goat47
(no custom rank chosen)

PreviousNext

Return to BREAKING NEWS