ChalleNGe Academy

For discussion on relevant news stories relating to Harlan County.

ChalleNGe Academy

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:48 pm

This is an important topic from the old board. As discussed before a meeting was held at the Vocational Building and over 40 people attended from various state agencies. The Bluegrass ChalleNGe Academy is ran by the National Guard and would be a huge help with our youth, and a economic boost. The day of the meeting they toured Hall Elementary as a possible location. I think that would be an idea site because it is less than a mile from the National Guard Armory.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Re: Proposed Childrens Home/School in Harlan County

Postby Jennifer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:01 pm

I don't remember if this was asked , if it was sorry. Is the school going to be a boarding school , and if where are they going to house the children from out of town?
Bring me your abused,bring me your lost souls looking for a home.Bring me the weak and sick,bring me the forgotten ones huddled on the street.{RB}
Jennifer
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:06 pm

Yes it will be a boarding school type setting. I meant to post the link to their website.

http://www.ngycp.org/site/state/ky/node/2262
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby 4 the kids » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:25 pm

ReBorn wrote:I don't remember if this was asked , if it was sorry. Is the school going to be a boarding school , and if where are they going to house the children from out of town?

I didnt realize we needed a boarding school here
4 the kids

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:36 pm

I'm sure you didn't view the webpage. It is to help troubled youths.

The Mission
The mission of the Bluegrass ChalleNGe Academy is to train and mentor selected at-risk youth to become contributing members of society.
The Models 8 Core Components in a quasi-military environment during a 22-week residential and one-year follow up program does this.
"Quasi-Military" is a term used to describe a program that resembles military training such as attention to detail, respect, self-discipline, and chain of command.

Qualifications
The basic qualifications for acceptance into the program are.

* Applicants must be between the ages of 16-18 on class start date,
* Free of illegal drugs,
* Educationally at risk,
* Mentally and physically capable to participate,
* Kentucky resident,
* Not under indictment or convicted of a felony offense.
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Jennifer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:49 pm

Have they said how many kids from Harlan will be able to accesses the school?

I was looking over the website and I think this would be great for prevention , instead of waiting till they make a mistake..
Bring me your abused,bring me your lost souls looking for a home.Bring me the weak and sick,bring me the forgotten ones huddled on the street.{RB}
Jennifer
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:55 pm

Have they said how many kids from Harlan will be able to accesses the school?
I don't think anyone knows a number yet, but if Harlan doesn't get on board with the Academy it will end up being in Somerset, or Hazard, and everyone will bitch, and moan about why can't we have something like that in Harlan.
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Jennifer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:44 am

I just hope that people will go online and learn the true nature of the school. I was hearing rumors that is was going to be for teens that have already been in trouble,like a reform school. I'll make sure to tell some people about this, I think its a great idea.
Jennifer
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:01 am

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:I'm sure you didn't view the webpage. It is to help troubled youths.

The Mission
The mission of the Bluegrass ChalleNGe Academy is to train and mentor selected at-risk youth to become contributing members of society.
The Models 8 Core Components in a quasi-military environment during a 22-week residential and one-year follow up program does this.
"Quasi-Military" is a term used to describe a program that resembles military training such as attention to detail, respect, self-discipline, and chain of command.

Qualifications
The basic qualifications for acceptance into the program are.

* Applicants must be between the ages of 16-18 on class start date,
* Free of illegal drugs,
* Educationally at risk,
* Mentally and physically capable to participate,
* Kentucky resident,
* Not under indictment or convicted of a felony offense.

yea i didnt read the website actually sounds like a good idea i know several that could use that kind of help

Postby MayMayKins » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:21 am

I think that this has the potential to do very well in Harlan. I agree if it ends up in Hazard or Somerset, people are just going to complain. We need more things like this directed toward our youth.
"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.....So, is a lot." ~Albert Einstein

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
MayMayKins

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:51 am

This is just what many youths around the area need before they get into trouble with the law.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:56 am

I hear that a budget meeting is scheduled for today to discuss the academy.

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:11 pm

Guest wrote:I hear that a budget meeting is scheduled for today to discuss the academy.
The meeting will be Tuesday.
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Bushwhacker » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:04 am

Sounds like a good idea to me, with all the pill head parents here in Harlan county, children need guidance. I just wish there was somewhere that small children could be placed when thier parents are arrested for using or selling drugs. It would be great to have the children in a safe place with people who really care about them to take care of them.

I know that now a lot of grand parents pick up when the parents fail to do their job and end up rasing another set of children and they do their best. I think that if the parents are put in jail for drugs, that there should be a restraining order to keep thme away from their children until they finish their sentance, drug rehab, or whatever the court throws at them.

I know that this will be unpopular with a lot of folks but the parents need to be deprived of something that they love better than drugs. If this didn't snap them into straightening up, nothing would.
Bushwhacker

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:26 am

This meeting is very important to establish a budget and to see what the fiscal court for one will be able to give to the academy.
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Next

Return to Harlan County News