Waterpark meeting: Update 02/22/17

For discussion on relevant news stories relating to Harlan County.

Re: Waterpark meeting

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:26 am

Mermaid wrote:
GFunkMoneyDog wrote:I hear that the plan is to have the Tourism Board take over the Benham Inn. Part of the duties of the Tourism Commissioner will be to run the Inn.

Who exactly is the tourism commissioner anyways.

That person hasn't been hired yet, but the board is in place.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Gopher » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:32 pm

Wasn't it Jeff Wilder?
Gopher
Carl The Groundskeeper

Postby GoDan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:40 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:
Mermaid wrote:
GFunkMoneyDog wrote:I hear that the plan is to have the Tourism Board take over the Benham Inn. Part of the duties of the Tourism Commissioner will be to run the Inn.

Who exactly is the tourism commissioner anyways.

That person hasn't been hired yet, but the board is in place.

That's an excellent idea.
GoDan

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:35 am

Mine and Pappy's favorite subject came up in yesterday's Fiscal Court Meeting. Here is a back story on the money and how it has been spent and all the various places it has traveled. Now we see that it's in a new location. During three separate meetings Bill Moore asked about the money (after a little bird gave him the idea) and he got three different answers. So which is the truth? Was it in a money market acct, was it spent as Magistrate Kennedy clearly said, or was it in a escrow acct drawing little interest as the county treasurer said??? My "opinion" is that it was spent and once it was being questioned it was scraped together and stuck in an acct by itself.

Quotes from the Harlan Daily Enterprise

Grieshop:
“Once it came to us, we put it in our money market savings account at BB&T, as of through the end of March we had a bit over $3.2 million in cash balance, of which $500,000 is that money,” said.

Kennedy:
“They came up with a recreational plan, that is a fantastic plan, but I believe the ending cost was going to be like $13,000,000,” said Kennedy. “The plan called for developing a recreational complex at the cost of $13,000,000, and we had discussed building that thing in phases…we felt to better serve the needs of the people of the county we would put our money into water and sewer lines and we we’re going to revisit that recreation bill at a later date.”

Creech:
The money is still sitting in the bank in an escrow account, “earning little interest” and has not been budgeted for anything.

From yesterday's meeting. http://harlandaily.com/news/17139/county-eyes-recwellness-center
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Re: Waterpark meeting: Update 02/22/17

Postby Legion » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:57 am

A wellness center? What praytell is a wellness center? Sounds like something that adults and the elderly will benefit from. We have places to work out. Their is Core Fitness and the Carroll guys place. You can walk at the new high school everyday to stay out of the weather. How will this benefit kids?
Legion
Always A Bride

Postby Demon Hunter » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:50 pm

Legion wrote:A wellness center? What praytell is a wellness center? Sounds like something that adults and the elderly will benefit from. We have places to work out. Their is Core Fitness and the Carroll guys place. You can walk at the new high school everyday to stay out of the weather. How will this benefit kids?

You have to love how government works. They are going to provide a service that private business already covers.
Demon Hunter

Postby Demon Hunter » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:57 pm

Just last week in Dan's skateboard post he was telling people to use what we already have.
Demon Hunter

Postby CrissyAlwaysSunny » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:01 pm

Wellness Center List:

Core Fitness
Odies Gym
Brewers Gym
PT Pros
ARH
CrissyAlwaysSunny

Postby Demon Hunter » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:55 pm

What part of we need a swimming pool don't they understand? I know what they are up to. Call it a wellness center so they can get a grant to help pay for it. Then when the county cant afford to keep it up it will be leased to someone.
Demon Hunter

Postby Rango » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:18 pm

Who's getting the $ 6,000.00 to do the study?
Rango
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby GoDan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:16 am

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:Mine and Pappy's favorite subject came up in yesterday's Fiscal Court Meeting. Here is a back story on the money and how it has been spent and all the various places it has traveled. Now we see that it's in a new location. During three separate meetings Bill Moore asked about the money (after a little bird gave him the idea) and he got three different answers. So which is the truth? Was it in a money market acct, was it spent as Magistrate Kennedy clearly said, or was it in a escrow acct drawing little interest as the county treasurer said??? My "opinion" is that it was spent and once it was being questioned it was scraped together and stuck in an acct by itself.

Quotes from the Harlan Daily Enterprise

Grieshop:
“Once it came to us, we put it in our money market savings account at BB&T, as of through the end of March we had a bit over $3.2 million in cash balance, of which $500,000 is that money,” said.

Kennedy:
“They came up with a recreational plan, that is a fantastic plan, but I believe the ending cost was going to be like $13,000,000,” said Kennedy. “The plan called for developing a recreational complex at the cost of $13,000,000, and we had discussed building that thing in phases…we felt to better serve the needs of the people of the county we would put our money into water and sewer lines and we we’re going to revisit that recreation bill at a later date.”

Creech:
The money is still sitting in the bank in an escrow account, “earning little interest” and has not been budgeted for anything.

From yesterday's meeting. http://harlandaily.com/news/17139/county-eyes-recwellness-center

I knew that would be a topic of interest for you.
GoDan

Postby gonegone » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:17 am

Rango wrote:Who's getting the $ 6,000.00 to do the study?

I guess the real question is who gets the biggest cut of this money?? Probably this will lead to more studies and more $$, which in turn is more opportunity for more people to get more cuts of the money and the $500K gets moved again to a secret location.
gonegone

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:01 pm

gonegone wrote:

I guess the real question is who gets the biggest cut of this money?? Probably this will lead to more studies and more $$, which in turn is more opportunity for more people to get more cuts of the money and the $500K gets moved again to a secret location.

I can't see how a wellness center will benefit children unless it has a pool, and is affordable. Contrary to popular belief among some I have talked to it won't be free admission.
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Pappy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:48 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:
gonegone wrote:

I can't see how a wellness center will benefit children unless it has a pool, and is affordable. Contrary to popular belief among some I have talked to it won't be free admission.

Nor them big Amazon stamp people either dressed in their stained sweats and packing Twinkies and mt dew.
Pappy
Hardee's Parking Lot

Postby clark bailey » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:28 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:
gonegone wrote:

Am I wrong, or is a wellness center another way of saying a gym?
clark bailey

PreviousNext

Return to Harlan County News