Deputy Judge Executive: Colby Goss

For discussion on relevant news stories relating to Harlan County.

Re: Deputy Judge Executive: Colby Goss

Postby Cate McCalley » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:36 pm

Protagonist wrote:Wasn't grant writing a function of the economic development coordinator for the county, Tony Felosi? Not sure why another salaried staff member of the fiscal court is needed. Wasn't Colby's last job at Carroll Engineering? Can someone explain to me how that parlays into economic development, grant writing and tourism?


I don't know about Tony Felosi's grant writing capabilities. Wasn't aware that his position called for grant writing expertise. Isn't he the Flood Plain Coordinator & County Risk Manager....No? Maybe a Flood Plain Coordinator requires some grant writing skills. I dunno. I don't think that's a duty you would find listed on Risk Management job description. I could be wrong.

I'm not sure that previous employment with an Engineering firm would automatically disqualify someone like Colby Goss, with a masters in Public Administration. It surely doesn't hurt to have someone with previous work experience within the County. Someone that might be serious about Economic Development and Tourism needed to grow the County's tax base. I dunno. You tell me?


Time & Tide Changes Everything
User avatar
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 10019
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: Deputy Judge Executive: Colby Goss

Postby Protagonist » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:52 am

Cate, prior to Dan becoming the CJE last year, Tony's job title was risk management and economic development. You are correct in that it appears as if his title has been reclassified. So, the skill set for grant writing is likely unnecessary in his present role.

To your point, private sector experience doesn't nor shouldn't disqualify Colby from the position of DCJE. However, like most jobs in the working world, one must demonstrate core competencies and experience in order to be considered and/or extended an offer of employment.

With that said, it's highly unlikely that working for Carroll Engineering prepared him for the role he currently serves. More to the point, holding an MPA with no practical experience is as useless as "tits on a boar." The skill set needed to procure the level of funding the county needs, in order to attract more diverse industries, isn't simply filling out an application and funding is simply awarded. This requires research, quantitative analysis and in depth experience in grant writing. It's certainly something that can be acquired through practice, but I personally don't feel that this is a skill set that this county has time for a DCJE to learn on the job.

Of course, this is simply my $.02
Protagonist
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:54 am

Re: Deputy Judge Executive: Colby Goss

Postby sundown » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:13 am

Well said protagonist, I can't for the life of me understand that this county is in such bad financial shape and Dan is supposed to do as much as he can with what we have and he goes and hires someone and takes away from what little the county has. They say cut this, cut that because we haven't the funds but we can hire someone to sit on there ass and write a grant, does Dan's hand only fit a gavel now and he can't write anymore?
live today like theres no tomorrow!
sundown
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:08 pm

Re: Deputy Judge Executive: Colby Goss

Postby Demon Hunter » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:35 am

With the loss of coal severance it's imperative that we secure grant money. In my opinion Colby Goss Is over qualified when you look at the education level of the rest of our elected officials. It excites me that someone was hired with the proper qualifications for the position. It's a rarity in Harlan where the good ole boys club reigns supreme.
User avatar
Demon Hunter
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:17 am

Re: Deputy Judge Executive: Colby Goss

Postby Cate McCalley » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:47 am

Protagonist wrote:Cate, prior to Dan becoming the CJE last year, Tony's job title was risk management and economic development. You are correct in that it appears as if his title has been reclassified. So, the skill set for grant writing is likely unnecessary in his present role.

To your point, private sector experience doesn't nor shouldn't disqualify Colby from the position of DCJE. However, like most jobs in the working world, one must demonstrate core competencies and experience in order to be considered and/or extended an offer of employment.

With that said, it's highly unlikely that working for Carroll Engineering prepared him for the role he currently serves. More to the point, holding an MPA with no practical experience is as useless as "tits on a boar." The skill set needed to procure the level of funding the county needs, in order to attract more diverse industries, isn't simply filling out an application and funding is simply awarded. This requires research, quantitative analysis and in depth experience in grant writing. It's certainly something that can be acquired through practice, but I personally don't feel that this is a skill set that this county has time for a DCJE to learn on the job.

Of course, this is simply my $.02


I'm not disagreeing with any of your analysis or position. Obviously 'the proof will be in the pudding'. The only thing that I might add is having the strong title of DCJE carries weight, to get help with what you may be lacking in experience. So often we are willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater, without realizing what we're doing.

It may be a weakness on my part, in that I take a 'wait and see' approach to change.


Time & Tide Changes Everything
User avatar
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 10019
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: Deputy Judge Executive: Colby Goss

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:09 am

Colby held the position of Inventory Manager for Carroll Engineering for almost a decade and can implement a similar program here to track assets and keep things from walking off unaccounted for.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
User avatar
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather
 
Posts: 20926
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:59 am

Re: Deputy Judge Executive: Colby Goss

Postby Pappy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:20 am

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:Colby held the position of Inventory Manager for Carroll Engineering for almost a decade and can implement a similar program here to track assets and keep things from walking off unaccounted for.

Can he find our water park Money?
Pappy
Hardee's Parking Lot
 
Posts: 6843
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:16 pm

Re: Deputy Judge Executive: Colby Goss

Postby Gopher » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:29 am

That account is as empty as Al Capones vault.
User avatar
Gopher
Carl The Groundskeeper
 
Posts: 3473
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Deputy Judge Executive: Colby Goss

Postby Gurt B Frobe » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:49 am

I would say Goss is the most qualified in Harlan County government to hold any position (see below). Obviously he is not political because most of us have never heard of him before and that is a big plus.

The Master of Public Administration (M.P.Adm., M.P.A., or MPA) is a professional post-graduate degree in public administration which is the public sector's offering equivalent to the private sector's Master of Business Administration.

The MPA program is a professional degree for the public sector and it prepares individuals to serve as managers in the executive arm of local, state/provincial, and federal/national government, and increasingly in nongovernmental organization (NGO) and nonprofit sectors; it places a focus on the systematic investigation of executive organization and management. Instruction includes the roles, development, and principles of public administration; public policy management and implementation. Through its history, the MPA degree has become more interdisciplinary by drawing from fields such as economics, sociology, law, anthropology, political science, and regional planning in order to equip MPA graduates with skills and knowledge covering a broad range of topics and disciplines relevant to the public sector. A core curriculum of a typical MPA program usually includes courses on microeconomics, public finance, research methods / statistics, policy process and policy analysis, public financial management, managerial accounting, ethics, public management, leadership, planning & Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and program evaluation/performance measurement. Depending on their interest, MPA students can focus their studies on a variety of public sector fields such as urban planning, emergency management, transportation, health care (especially public health), economic development, urban management, community development, education, non-profits, information technology, environmental policy, cultural policy, and criminal justice, etc.
“When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads.”
― Ron Paul
Gurt B Frobe
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 2769
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:32 am

Re: Deputy Judge Executive: Colby Goss

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:49 am

Cate McCalley wrote:I don't know where you've been, but a successful grant writer can make up the difference in coal severence money and a whole lot more.....Stoopid.

Maybe on Fantasy Island where you live...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
User avatar
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl
 
Posts: 15725
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:25 pm
Location: The Dark Side Of The Moon

Re: Deputy Judge Executive: Colby Goss

Postby Cate McCalley » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:59 am

Angry Whiteguy wrote:
Cate McCalley wrote:I don't know where you've been, but a successful grant writer can make up the difference in coal severence money and a whole lot more.....Stoopid.

Maybe on Fantasy Island where you live...



My hope is reasonable and justified, not fantasy. Numbnuts.


Time & Tide Changes Everything
User avatar
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 10019
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: Deputy Judge Executive: Colby Goss

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:14 am

Protagonist wrote:Cate, prior to Dan becoming the CJE last year, Tony's job title was risk management and economic development. You are correct in that it appears as if his title has been reclassified. So, the skill set for grant writing is likely unnecessary in his present role.

To your point, private sector experience doesn't nor shouldn't disqualify Colby from the position of DCJE. However, like most jobs in the working world, one must demonstrate core competencies and experience in order to be considered and/or extended an offer of employment.

With that said, it's highly unlikely that working for Carroll Engineering prepared him for the role he currently serves. More to the point, holding an MPA with no practical experience is as useless as "tits on a boar." The skill set needed to procure the level of funding the county needs, in order to attract more diverse industries, isn't simply filling out an application and funding is simply awarded. This requires research, quantitative analysis and in depth experience in grant writing. It's certainly something that can be acquired through practice, but I personally don't feel that this is a skill set that this county has time for a DCJE to learn on the job.

Of course, this is simply my $.02

You realize, of course this is a government job...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
User avatar
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl
 
Posts: 15725
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:25 pm
Location: The Dark Side Of The Moon

Re: Deputy Judge Executive: Colby Goss

Postby goat47 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:11 pm

Gurt B Frobe wrote:I would say Goss is the most qualified in Harlan County government to hold any position (see below). Obviously he is not political because most of us have never heard of him before and that is a big plus.

The Master of Public Administration (M.P.Adm., M.P.A., or MPA) is a professional post-graduate degree in public administration which is the public sector's offering equivalent to the private sector's Master of Business Administration.

The MPA program is a professional degree for the public sector and it prepares individuals to serve as managers in the executive arm of local, state/provincial, and federal/national government, and increasingly in nongovernmental organization (NGO) and nonprofit sectors; it places a focus on the systematic investigation of executive organization and management. Instruction includes the roles, development, and principles of public administration; public policy management and implementation. Through its history, the MPA degree has become more interdisciplinary by drawing from fields such as economics, sociology, law, anthropology, political science, and regional planning in order to equip MPA graduates with skills and knowledge covering a broad range of topics and disciplines relevant to the public sector. A core curriculum of a typical MPA program usually includes courses on microeconomics, public finance, research methods / statistics, policy process and policy analysis, public financial management, managerial accounting, ethics, public management, leadership, planning & Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and program evaluation/performance measurement. Depending on their interest, MPA students can focus their studies on a variety of public sector fields such as urban planning, emergency management, transportation, health care (especially public health), economic development, urban management, community development, education, non-profits, information technology, environmental policy, cultural policy, and criminal justice, etc.


Hard to argue with that logic.
goat47
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 2154
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:12 pm

Re: Deputy Judge Executive: Colby Goss

Postby Pappy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:08 pm

Gurt B Frobe wrote:I would say Goss is the most qualified in Harlan County government to hold any position (see below). Obviously he is not political because most of us have never heard of him before and that is a big plus.

The Master of Public Administration (M.P.Adm., M.P.A., or MPA) is a professional post-graduate degree in public administration which is the public sector's offering equivalent to the private sector's Master of Business Administration.

The MPA program is a professional degree for the public sector and it prepares individuals to serve as managers in the executive arm of local, state/provincial, and federal/national government, and increasingly in nongovernmental organization (NGO) and nonprofit sectors; it places a focus on the systematic investigation of executive organization and management. Instruction includes the roles, development, and principles of public administration; public policy management and implementation. Through its history, the MPA degree has become more interdisciplinary by drawing from fields such as economics, sociology, law, anthropology, political science, and regional planning in order to equip MPA graduates with skills and knowledge covering a broad range of topics and disciplines relevant to the public sector. A core curriculum of a typical MPA program usually includes courses on microeconomics, public finance, research methods / statistics, policy process and policy analysis, public financial management, managerial accounting, ethics, public management, leadership, planning & Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and program evaluation/performance measurement. Depending on their interest, MPA students can focus their studies on a variety of public sector fields such as urban planning, emergency management, transportation, health care (especially public health), economic development, urban management, community development, education, non-profits, information technology, environmental policy, cultural policy, and criminal justice, etc.

Ever heard of Gene Goss?
Pappy
Hardee's Parking Lot
 
Posts: 6843
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:16 pm

Re: Deputy Judge Executive: Colby Goss

Postby Cate McCalley » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:26 pm

Pappy wrote:
Gurt B Frobe wrote:I would say Goss is the most qualified in Harlan County government to hold any position (see below). Obviously he is not political because most of us have never heard of him before and that is a big plus.

The Master of Public Administration (M.P.Adm., M.P.A., or MPA) is a professional post-graduate degree in public administration which is the public sector's offering equivalent to the private sector's Master of Business Administration.

The MPA program is a professional degree for the public sector and it prepares individuals to serve as managers in the executive arm of local, state/provincial, and federal/national government, and increasingly in nongovernmental organization (NGO) and nonprofit sectors; it places a focus on the systematic investigation of executive organization and management. Instruction includes the roles, development, and principles of public administration; public policy management and implementation. Through its history, the MPA degree has become more interdisciplinary by drawing from fields such as economics, sociology, law, anthropology, political science, and regional planning in order to equip MPA graduates with skills and knowledge covering a broad range of topics and disciplines relevant to the public sector. A core curriculum of a typical MPA program usually includes courses on microeconomics, public finance, research methods / statistics, policy process and policy analysis, public financial management, managerial accounting, ethics, public management, leadership, planning & Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and program evaluation/performance measurement. Depending on their interest, MPA students can focus their studies on a variety of public sector fields such as urban planning, emergency management, transportation, health care (especially public health), economic development, urban management, community development, education, non-profits, information technology, environmental policy, cultural policy, and criminal justice, etc.

Ever heard of Gene Goss?


Yes. Eugene Goss, Atty @ Law.


Time & Tide Changes Everything
User avatar
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 10019
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:54 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Harlan County News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests