Blue mesh disappearance a mystery

For discussion on relevant news stories relating to Harlan County.

Postby Jack Rabbit » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:35 am

Someone sure didnt like the Blue Mesh.

http://harlandaily.com/view/full_story/ ... _news_lead

by DEBBIE CALDWELL7 hrs ago | 311 views | 0 | 3 | |
Harlan City Police officer Craig Miller is pictured looking at one of the caps that was holding the blue mesh tarp onto the fence at the Harlan Little League field at Huff Park. DEBBIE CALDWELL/ Daily Enterprise
slideshow The disappearance of over 650 feet of blue mesh tarp around the Harlan Little League baseball field at Huff Park on Saturday night has stunned league officials.

The blue mesh has drawn quite a bit of controversy since it was added. Concerns have recently been expressed from a parent and members of the Harlan City Council.

During a council meeting a few weeks ago, Jaimie McNiel, a parent and teacher, voiced her dislike over the blue mesh the league placed over the fences. McNiel said the tarps are a safety concern for people walking around the track and parents who are trying to keep an eye on their children at play on the playground.

Placing the blue mesh around the fencing was part of upgrades made to the field by the league through coal severance funds received from Harlan Fiscal Court.

Harlan Little League President Phillip Dozier and league member James Earl Hensley said they took the complaints about the blue mesh seriously and felt they had worked out an agreement with Harlan Mayor Danny Howard.

Hensley said they were in the process of taking some of the mesh down and had ordered some clear mesh to put up in its place. He said “it seemed that everything had been worked out.”

Hensley said he noticed the blue mesh was gone Sunday morning when he came out to work. He said he contacted Dozier and the Harlan Police Department.

Harlan City Police officer Craig Miller is currently investigating the disappearance of the blue mesh. As of Monday afternoon, Miller had no new information as to what happened to the blue mesh.

“It’s like it vanished,” Dozier said. “We had some people that didn’t like it being up, and then, we had some people that did like it.”

Dozier said they have been preparing the field for the state tournament that’s scheduled to be played in Harlan this summer.

“Now this is a setback,” Dozier said.

The amount of blue mesh and tie-downs were valued at around $3,000.

Dozier said the league still has to pay on uniforms, charter fees and finish getting everything ready for the state tournament.

Hensley said he talked to the mayor and he said he didn’t know anything about what could have happened to the blue mesh.

Dozier said he talked with some of the league members and they said they didn’t take the mesh down.

“If they had taken it down, they would have rolled it up and left it here in the building — it would be here,” Dozier said.

Miller said there wasn’t anything else that appeared to be disturbed on the property.

Dozier said whoever took the mesh apparently wanted to just take it down and take it off the property.

“If they were bound to take it down — they should have just took it down and left it here, because this is taking from the kids,” Dozier said.

Miller said if anyone saw anybody around the field between 6:30 p.m. Saturday and 10:30 a.m. Sunday taking the blue mesh they should call him at 573-1121.
Jack Rabbit

Re: Blue mesh disappearance a mystery

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:03 am

I hope that someone didn't take my suggestion to remove the tarps down the foul lines literally. LOL The outfield fence is the only section that remains.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby FallenAngel » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:30 am

I hope they catch whoever did it, just because someone may have done it for a good reason does not make them any better then your common criminal, theft is theft.
“Stop trying to fit in when you were born to stand out.”
FallenAngel
The Fallen One

Postby Jack Rabbit » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:40 am

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:I hope that someone didn't take my suggestion to remove the tarps down the foul lines literally. LOL The outfield fence is the only section that remains.

I just came by their and I didnt see any thing but the Red Pads or I assume thats what they are?But it sure looks allot better being able to see the whole field.
Jack Rabbit

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:58 am

Little League must have removed the rest of the tarps.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:58 am

why would someone steal that tarp it has no value and cant be sold ,wonder if it was someone associated with little league.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:33 am

I hate that it got stolen but im glad its gone. They should be doing those repairs for our children, but it seems they are more worred about how it will look for the state tournament.

Postby the fluke » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:35 pm

I would be willing to bet it would wide up around someones chicken coop, or dog lot.
the fluke
the fluke
Mountain Man

Postby Jennifer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:44 pm

Wow, a blue mesh thief.. For once this is something that surprised me.
Bring me your abused,bring me your lost souls looking for a home.Bring me the weak and sick,bring me the forgotten ones huddled on the street.{RB}
Jennifer
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby shade chaser » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:05 pm

the fluke wrote:I would be willing to bet it would wide up around someones chicken coop, or dog lot.

True,it would also cover alot of boats,cars or make some good cloth car ports.lol
shade chaser
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby stress kills » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:14 pm

I couldn't understand why they were talking about replacing the blue with clear. But it does prove a lot of peoples point that a crime could be committed and not be seen.
stress kills

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:08 am

stress kills wrote:I couldn't understand why they were talking about replacing the blue with clear. But it does prove a lot of peoples point that a crime could be committed and not be seen.

Excellent Point!!!!!
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Pappy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:12 am

shade chaser wrote:
the fluke wrote:I would be willing to bet it would wide up around someones chicken coop, or dog lot.

True,it would also cover alot of boats,cars or make some good cloth car ports.lol

You could block Fairview off from Hwy 38.
Pappy
Hardee's Parking Lot

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:01 am

looks as if someone will have a nice new blue roof.

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:41 pm

I find myself in need of several bungee cords... all help will be appreciated. Thanks...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Next

Return to Harlan County News