Big Cats

Hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, survival preparedness, firearms and ammunition.

Re: Big Cats

Postby Fox » Fri May 20, 2011 9:53 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_panther

Go down toward the bottom of this article and take a look.
"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government." --Thomas Jefferson
User avatar
Fox
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:23 pm

Re: Big Cats

Postby Briscoe » Fri May 20, 2011 10:03 pm

sure, next you'll be telling us the easter bunny aint real.
"get that son of a bitch off the field...he's fired." - donald trump
User avatar
Briscoe
HornDog
 
Posts: 2716
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Big Cats

Postby RAP » Sat May 21, 2011 6:58 am

I see your point. You are saying people did not see a panther, maybe a cat but not a panther. Ok I will give you that. I don't know what it was and none of the rest of my family did not know anything but that it was black and a cat. We all know how dark it can get at times in the mountains. Of course no street lights. I know it was a cat, a large cat that was hanging around the holler for a time. It might have been some kind of large cat that escaped captivity or that someone had as a pet but it was no ordinary house cat.

By the way I have read this article before. I did investigate before when we had this discussion.
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
User avatar
RAP
The Waltons
 
Posts: 6592
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Big Cats

Postby fairviewcrew » Sat May 21, 2011 11:41 am

RAP wrote:I see your point. You are saying people did not see a panther, maybe a cat but not a panther. Ok I will give you that. I don't know what it was and none of the rest of my family did not know anything but that it was black and a cat. We all know how dark it can get at times in the mountains. Of course no street lights. I know it was a cat, a large cat that was hanging around the holler for a time. It might have been some kind of large cat that escaped captivity or that someone had as a pet but it was no ordinary house cat.

By the way I have read this article before. I did investigate before when we had this discussion.


If you watch part 4 of 4 of the youtube video I posted of MonsterQuest, around the three-minute mark, a feline genetisist uses a very scientific approach to measure the cat in West Virginia, and the results are interesting. Another specialist said that it was a house cat, while the scale clearly showed that it was much, much too large to be a house cat.
America is woven of many strands. I would recognize them and let it so remain. Our fate is to become one, and yet many.This is not prophecy, but description.
Ralph Ellison
fairviewcrew
 
Posts: 1153
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Big Cats

Postby one who knows » Sun May 22, 2011 12:38 pm

if someone could do some archuving on the courier journel in i think 1979 there was a article from the kdfw stateing they had a confirmed couger track on the little shepherds trail at the harlan letcher county line area. i seen theese tracks my self im a hunter and trapper i can tell you about any track in the woods. this track was large round and no claws showing cat are the only thing that dont show claws. these track were big enough a grown man hands balled to fist put together placed in the track you could still see the track????? yes they are here and if iremember right a kitten was killed in pike county hit by a car..
one who knows
 

Re: Big Cats

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Sun May 22, 2011 2:46 pm

one who knows wrote:if someone could do some archuving on the courier journel in i think 1979 there was a article from the kdfw stateing they had a confirmed couger track on the little shepherds trail at the harlan letcher county line area. i seen theese tracks my self im a hunter and trapper i can tell you about any track in the woods. this track was large round and no claws showing cat are the only thing that dont show claws. these track were big enough a grown man hands balled to fist put together placed in the track you could still see the track????? yes they are here and if iremember right a kitten was killed in pike county hit by a car..

Thank you... I saw the cat tracks myself between Twila and Alva and had a witness with me at the time... They're here belee dat.!!
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
User avatar
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl
 
Posts: 15725
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:25 pm
Location: The Dark Side Of The Moon

Re: Big Cats

Postby carbon-15 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:05 pm

First, I believe that they are here... I have never seen them, but when a wildlife official tells me they are here, I believe they are here...

#2.. A panther and a mountain lion ARE the same thing... A black one is simply a genetic trait of a mountain lion... The lions around here are a strain of the ones in Florida.. They are around 75 pounds, and come in both the tan and melonistic strain.. They are not the HUGE ones that are found in the midwest..


If you want proof, find someone that can access press releases and find the one that the Cumberland Gap Tunnel service released a few years back warning of "possible" mountain lions in the park.. The Virginia and Tennessee sides of the park acknowledge the presence of the animals in the park, Kentucky simply refuses too..
User avatar
carbon-15
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 1284
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:36 pm

Re: Big Cats

Postby Doc Holliday » Tue May 24, 2011 8:29 pm

I believe they are down there too. Too many people have told me they have seen them.
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds. Doc Holliday
User avatar
Doc Holliday
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:18 pm

Re: Big Cats

Postby Nikki » Tue May 24, 2011 8:57 pm

I could bet you a hundred bucks that if you ask any older person that has lived in harlan their entire life if there is a difference between a mountain lion and a panther they would agree that they are two different cats.
If you don't like my opinion, you don't have to read it.
User avatar
Nikki
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 654
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Baxter, Kentucky

Re: Big Cats

Postby carbon-15 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:01 pm

Taxonomy says they are the same... Asking old people for their opinion is simply their opinion...
User avatar
carbon-15
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 1284
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:36 pm

Re: Big Cats

Postby RAP » Tue May 24, 2011 10:22 pm

If Carbon says so I believe it is so. I have never heard him lie about other things much more important, so I don't think he would lie about something as trivial as whether a cat is called a mountain lion or a panther. All I know is there have been large black cats in this area.
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
User avatar
RAP
The Waltons
 
Posts: 6592
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Big Cats

Postby Bushwhacker » Wed May 25, 2011 5:46 am

Carbon is correct, they are the same animal. I have seen one with my own eyes as I was on my way back from Virginia on a train one night about 1:30am.

It was crossing the railroad tracks up in the Smith area and jumped from the edge of the track up onto a bank and disappeared into the woods. I also saw one when I was a kid (real long time ago) on Pine Mtn. There were several of us boys out rambling around in the mountians and we all saw it.

These big cats roam around and follow food sources, with the introduction of elk in this area, I think its quite possible that they have migrated here as well. :D
User avatar
Bushwhacker
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:28 pm

Re: Big Cats

Postby the fluke » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:04 pm

I SAW SASQUACH ONCE, BUT I HAD BEEN DRINKING AND I DID TAKE HER BACK HOME THE NEXT MORNING. :lol:
the fluke
User avatar
the fluke
Mountain Man
 
Posts: 2600
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:41 pm

Re: Big Cats

Postby ~CJ~ » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:24 pm

You are so bad Fluke, lol.
~CJ~
 

Re: Big Cats

Postby Doc Holliday » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:28 pm

Bushwhacker wrote:Carbon is correct, they are the same animal. I have seen one with my own eyes as I was on my way back from Virginia on a train one night about 1:30am.

It was crossing the railroad tracks up in the Smith area and jumped from the edge of the track up onto a bank and disappeared into the woods. I also saw one when I was a kid (real long time ago) on Pine Mtn. There were several of us boys out rambling around in the mountians and we all saw it.

These big cats roam around and follow food sources, with the introduction of elk in this area, I think its quite possible that they have migrated here as well. :D


I'd like to see one in the wild.
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds. Doc Holliday
User avatar
Doc Holliday
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:18 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Outdoors Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest