Big Cats

Hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, survival preparedness, firearms and ammunition.

Re: Big Cats

Postby Rango » Thu May 19, 2011 4:47 pm

Quote from another web site;

Black cougars have been reported in Kentucky and in the Carolinas. There have also been reports of glossy black cougars from Kansas, Texas and eastern Nebraska These have come to be known as the "North American black panther". Sightings are currently attributed to errors in species identification by non-experts, and by the memetic exaggeration of size.

Black panthers in the American Southeast feature prominently in Choctaw folklore where, along with the owl, they are often thought to symbolize Death.
Rango
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Nikki » Thu May 19, 2011 6:59 pm

I've seen a panther in smith before.. at the tunnel before the lake to be exact. We've seen it several times actually. Also seen a HUGE A$$ mountain lion at my mom's (about 4 miles or so above the lake) when I was young. It was beautiful too!
If you don't like my opinion, you don't have to read it.
Nikki
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Fox » Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 am

prove it.
"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government." --Thomas Jefferson
Fox

Postby countrygirl40828 » Fri May 20, 2011 1:14 pm

:lol:
Attachments
pnth.jpeg
pnth.jpeg (7.44 KiB) Viewed 663 times
I've stopped fighting my inner demons; we're on the same side now...
countrygirl40828

Postby countrygirl40828 » Fri May 20, 2011 1:14 pm

prove there is not....
countrygirl40828

Postby Fox » Fri May 20, 2011 2:55 pm

The burden is not on me to prove that there are NOT Mtn lions in SE KY. All the authorities on this subject say they are not here. It is just that people say this and that and no one has brought forward any hard evidence of these cats in the area. People say they have heard them and a friend of a friend of a friend saw one. People say they have seen their tracks, yet no pics or moldings to confirm mtn. lion tracks. All I am saying is show me the money. People have talked this stuff for years yet no proof. Why is it you can go out west or canada and take a treeing dog and a gun and kill one, but it is yet to be done in KY?
"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government." --Thomas Jefferson
Fox

Postby countrygirl40828 » Fri May 20, 2011 3:12 pm

1. Because authorities say so you automatically belive? ok :roll:
2. Maybe no one has killed one is cause they are smarter than the average Jethro...

Animals live because they figure out to do so they must avoid humans, look at the number of animals who became extinct who figured that out too late. Some animals are so shy that they are believed extinct untill they show up ex: coelecanth.
countrygirl40828

Postby RAP » Fri May 20, 2011 3:23 pm

All I can say is, two of my family members had encounters with a large black Cat. It took the fish one had caught and put in a river pond as we called it. It was a hole dug next to the creek to put fish in for the night until you could get back the next day to kill and clean your fish. Of course all it had to do was growl and he looked up into the face of a large black cat the size of a large dog. The fish was left as he quickly backed away as the animal ate.

My sister had trouble with dogs getting in her garbage. One night she put pop bottles all around her can to catch the neighbors dog. When she heard the noise she creeped out of the house and looked straight into a large blacks cats face eating her garbage. Needless to say it was more interested in the food than her and just growled and continued to eat as she backed back in the door.

My mother as well as myself heard numerous times a scream that sounded like a woman having a baby lol, in the mountains in little creek holler. One time my mother heard the same noise and a large animal stalked her up the holler in the creek bed as she walked on the road home. My mother was not a liar or a skittish person. As a matter of fact she was not afraid of anything.

My brother was chased by some large animal as he went to call a doctor for my mom who was having a baby and no one else was at home. He slipped into his shoes and did not tie them and when the animal came at him he left his shoes behind and ran. The next day his shoes were torn all to pieces. He did not know what kind of animal it was and did not wait to see.

As we used a out house in those day, a night trip was quite exciting. But there was no doubt about the scream I heard more than once as I went to use it. Never saw anything but there was no mistake about the scream I heard. I don't think there was a woman on the mountain being mutilated every time I heard it or someone would have come up missing don't you think? You tell me what was this animal. :?: :?:
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby Nikki » Fri May 20, 2011 5:26 pm

First things first... lets make sure EVERYONE understands that a panther and a mountain lion are two different cats. And second.. Me, my mom and my step dad all three saw the mountain lion at our home. This was probably back in '98 or '99 I guess. Tan-ish in color, stood about as high as a boxer bulldog on fours but longer.. I remember it like it was yesterday. Beautiful creature!
Nikki
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Nikki » Fri May 20, 2011 5:31 pm

I know that if you look up panthers that the description gives them different names including mountain lion, but where I'm from, a panther is black and a mountain lion is tan.... just sayin. Also I found this http://www.harlandaily.com/pages/full_s ... eft_column
Nikki
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby RAP » Fri May 20, 2011 6:30 pm

Fox wrote:Nope. I don't believe they are around. I have coon hunted around harlan all my life and know lots of coon hunters. If they were around, one would have been treed and shot out by now. I have seen and heard of lots of bobcats treed but no mtn lions. By the way, black panthers are not even indigenous to this area. When folks talk about seeing big black cats around here, they need to go to the doctor and get their prozac increased.

Nicki this is the post I was answering to. I like fox but I know what I heard and I know my mom was not a liar. I also believe my other family members. It was not a mountain lion I know the differance it was a big black cat and I don't think any know black cat native to this area is this large. I agree with fox on that but we still have the animal that we heard and saw. I will say that this all happened in a time frame of two or three years and has never happened again to my knowledge. I also do not remember it happening before this time. We figured the animal came down because of a shortage of food or something of this nature.
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby Nikki » Fri May 20, 2011 7:07 pm

Oh I wasn't replying to you specifically, it was just a general reply for all.. But I agree with you, like I said my mom has seen panthers as well towards the new lake as well as the old lake.
Nikki
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Fri May 20, 2011 7:08 pm

Fox wrote:The burden is not on me to prove that there are NOT Mtn lions in SE KY. All the authorities on this subject say they are not here. It is just that people say this and that and no one has brought forward any hard evidence of these cats in the area. People say they have heard them and a friend of a friend of a friend saw one. People say they have seen their tracks, yet no pics or moldings to confirm mtn. lion tracks. All I am saying is show me the money. People have talked this stuff for years yet no proof. Why is it you can go out west or canada and take a treeing dog and a gun and kill one, but it is yet to be done in KY?

I thought your degree was in pharmaceutical law... You an expert on wildlife too.??
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby ~CJ~ » Fri May 20, 2011 7:21 pm

I saw a black panther in Hiram several years ago. He roamed my yard for quiet awhile while I watched him through the window. I was in awe and the last thing I would have thought about was a camera. I've seen a mountain lion twice over the years on Pine Mountain as well. My aunt has told stories of them when she was a child and how one had attacked a friend of hers back in the late 30s. I know what I saw and I could care less if anyone believes me or not because I know they exist here and have for many many years.
~CJ~

Postby Fox » Fri May 20, 2011 9:46 pm

I thought your degree was in pharmaceutical law... You an expert on wildlife too.??

I do have degrees in biology and chemistry. I have done research in zoology/ornithology, honey bee circadian rhythms. Am I an expert on Mtn lions--no. But I am a skeptic on this issue. Do I have a degree in pharmaceutical law? No.

1. Because authorities say so you automatically belive? ok
2. Maybe no one has killed one is cause they are smarter than the average Jethro...

1. No I don't always believe the "authorities". The point being is that if they say there are no mtn lions in the area, then why would I try to prove a statement that they have already made. It is on you guys to prove them wrong. The ball is in your court. Show the evidence.
2.No only are they smarter than the average Jethro, but they must also be smarter than mtn lions in other areas of North America that have been filmed, photographed and shot.

BTW, bobcats do scream too.
Fox

PreviousNext

Return to The Outdoors Forum