Global warming!!

Non-County related discussion forum.

Re: Global warming!!

Postby Cornbread » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:44 pm

OMG Pappy lol.
User avatar
Cornbread
Django
 
Posts: 1104
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 3:38 pm

Re: Global warming!!

Postby Cate McCalley » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:48 pm

ScArEcRoW wrote:
Cate McCalley wrote:After Katrina, Gulf Shores property dropped for awhile, then stabilized. Many coastline properties along the Atlantic and Gulf Shores are no longer FEMA insurable.

There's one type of stucture than can withstand 200 mph+ winds. It's built using Buckminster Fuller's geodesic dome concept. Where a good bit of the structure is underground with the dome 'upside down'.

The number, frequency and intensity of these hurricanes will only increase with the rising ocean water temperatures. If these hurricane victims rebuild (and they surely will), they're throwing time and money away if they don't rebuild to withstand 200+ mph winds.


We have always have Hurricanes. They are not increasing. Actually they are decreasing.


Where did you get your information, and what period of time does 'always' cover? I'm asking because the weather satellite system (that tracks hurricanes) is less than 60 years old.

Tracking hurricanes was sporadic and unreliable using cloud camera rockets, during the early 1950's. The first weather satellite, the Vanguard 2, was launched on February 17, 1959.

As far as I know, there wasn't any real tracking method for hurricanes before satellite tracking, other than weather barometers and such that depended on an erratic reporting system, set 25 miles apart on the Atlantic and Gulf coastlines during the 1940's hurricane season.


Time & Tide Changes Everything
User avatar
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 10018
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: Global warming!!

Postby Gopher » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:55 pm

Cate will take that to mean that global warming decreases hurricanes. Unless we have a increase in hurricanes and then it means the opposite. :roll: :roll: :roll:
User avatar
Gopher
Carl The Groundskeeper
 
Posts: 3473
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Global warming!!

Postby Cate McCalley » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:27 am

Gopher wrote:Cate will take that to mean that global warming decreases hurricanes. Unless we have a increase in hurricanes and then it means the opposite. :roll: :roll: :roll:


It would be refreshing and more interesting (to me), if you would speculate less and verify more Gopher. My less than creative mind works better with established facts. Speculation, not as much.


Time & Tide Changes Everything
User avatar
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 10018
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: Global warming!!

Postby Political Plague » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:45 pm

You twist facts Cate. No matter how they are laid out you can manage to distort them.
Political Plague
 
Posts: 776
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: Global warming!!

Postby Cate McCalley » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:01 pm

Political Plague wrote:You twist facts Cate. No matter how they are laid out you can manage to distort them.


Let’s assume that a fact is something that truly exists or happens. A piece of true information that actually exist.

If it is as you say, that I ‘twist facts no matter how they are laid out’, I’d have to be master of illusions...some sort of Houdini of language manipulation that could twist a fact into a distortion different than true information.

Is it possible that facts stand on their own? Is it possible that it is your perception that distorts the facts and not the fact that is distorted?

I don’t play with facts or distort them. I offer my opinion considering the fact(s) once an event or piece of information has been verified. If my opinion distorts your reality, is it possible that your reality don’t match up with the fact(s)?

I question what I think I know lots of times. I’m never surprised when I discover my assumptions caused my reality to be distorted. I can’t even begin to remember the times I was for sure someone was something that they weren’t because I had assumed they were truthful without verifying what they said. Or distrustful of someone because I assumed something was true about them that wasn’t. The truth is extremely powerful and precious.

The truth is the gateway to freedom of the mind. It’s often painful, and for certain rejected far more than the lie. It’s easier to refuse to acknowledge a truth that removes us from our familiar comfort zone, than a lie that keeps us safe within it.

Yet without truth we walk in darkness and fear of what we cannot see and do not know. What we have not faced and challenged.

There’s some things.....things that we are powerless to challenge and overcome, that we should be careful in deciding if we want to know. Some truths that so offend our sensibilities that true knowledge of them would be so painful as to permanently scar our spirit and soul.

There are some that justify doing evil acts believing what they are doing is necessary and noble. Those that believe the result justifies the means. Even if the means embodies evil. These are deluded, believing in result that cannot ever be noble, as it is ill gotten.

To thine own self, be true. All else will fall into place.


Time & Tide Changes Everything
User avatar
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 10018
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: Global warming!!

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:49 pm

I don’t play with facts or distort them. I offer my opinion considering the fact(s) once an event or piece of information has been verified. If my opinion distorts your reality, is it possible that your reality don’t match up with the fact(s)?


That's how I feel about Global Warming claims. Well Global Warming wasn't working so it got changed to Climate Change.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
User avatar
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather
 
Posts: 20920
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:59 am

Re: Global warming!!

Postby Cornbread » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:00 pm

The EPA has terminated Obama's climate policy.
User avatar
Cornbread
Django
 
Posts: 1104
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 3:38 pm

Re: Global warming!!

Postby Cate McCalley » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:22 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:
I don’t play with facts or distort them. I offer my opinion considering the fact(s) once an event or piece of information has been verified. If my opinion distorts your reality, is it possible that your reality don’t match up with the fact(s)?


That's how I feel about Global Warming claims. Well Global Warming wasn't working so it got changed to Climate Change.


So what? The name change to what it should have been called to begin with. If I decide to call ‘simmering soup’ cooking, am I no longer simmering soup?

Identifying the fact the globe is warming BECAUSE the climate is changing in ways causing that warming, doesn’t obscure the issue. It clarifies it.


Time & Tide Changes Everything
User avatar
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 10018
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: Global warming!!

Postby goat47 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:19 pm

Then why are we in a 20 year cooling trend?
goat47
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 2154
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:12 pm

Re: Global warming!!

Postby Cate McCalley » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:33 pm

goat47 wrote:Then why are we in a 20 year cooling trend?



Catch up. That was theory in the 1970’s. When technology did not exist to measure finite global atmospheric conditions influencing changes we are presently (and for the past 30 years) observing in our climate.

If I knew nothing about the science of climate change, I would only need to look at photos of glaciers that are millions of years old and rapidly receding annually since the 1950’s, to understand our planet is warming.


Time & Tide Changes Everything
User avatar
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 10018
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: Global warming!!

Postby VoteMout » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:14 am

NASA Study: Mass Gains of Antarctic Ice Sheet Greater than Losses
Antarctic Peninsula
A new NASA study says that Antarctica is overall accumulating ice. Still, areas of the continent, like the Antarctic Peninsula photographed above, have increased their mass loss in the last decades.

A new NASA study says that an increase in Antarctic snow accumulation that began 10,000 years ago is currently adding enough ice to the continent to outweigh the increased losses from its thinning glaciers.

The research challenges the conclusions of other studies, including the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s (IPCC) 2013 report, which says that Antarctica is overall losing land ice.

According to the new analysis of satellite data, the Antarctic ice sheet showed a net gain of 112 billion tons of ice a year from 1992 to 2001. That net gain slowed to 82 billion tons of ice per year between 2003 and 2008.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/nasa-study-mass-gains-of-antarctic-ice-sheet-greater-than-losses
VoteMout
 
Posts: 749
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Global warming!!

Postby Cate McCalley » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:20 am

I read the article through to it’s conclusion

”The good news is that Antarctica is not currently contributing to sea level rise, but is taking 0.23 millimeters per year away,” Zwally said. “But this is also bad news. If the 0.27 millimeters per year of sea level rise attributed to Antarctica in the IPCC report is not really coming from Antarctica, there must be some other contribution to sea level rise that is not accounted for.”

”We’re essentially in agreement with other studies that show an increase in ice discharge in the Antarctic Peninsula and the Thwaites and Pine Island region of West Antarctica,” said Jay Zwally, a glaciologist with NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, and lead author of the study, which was published on Oct. 30 in the Journal of Glaciology. ”Our main disagreement is for East Antarctica and the interior of West Antarctica – there, we see an ice gain that exceeds the losses in the other areas.”  Zwally added that his team “measured small height changes over large areas, as well as the large changes observed over smaller areas.”



“The new study highlights the difficulties of measuring the small changes in ice height happening in East Antarctica,” said Ben Smith, a glaciologist with the University of Washington in Seattle who was not involved in Zwally’s study.

So...what does this ‘New study’ actually say?

It says the end of the last ice age increased warming that accounts for the increased sea level water. The precipitation from the surrounding ocean turns to snow accumulation over anartica’s interior. Though the Antartica Peninsula is melting, snow is accumulating in the interior that makes up for the loss of melting Peninsula ice. The study uses satellite images to determine height of annual snow accumulations in anartica’s interior. There has been no independent verification of the actual ice accumulation in anartica’s interior. It’s presumed the heights recorded by satellite images are compounding into ice, there’s just no concrete evidence that it has.

There’s no getting around the rising sea levels. Whether it’s because the core as well as the surface melting ice shelf’s underneath, or the increased surface temperature is melting the peripheral landed ice sheets. The sea levels are rising.


Time & Tide Changes Everything
User avatar
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 10018
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: Global warming!!

Postby PharmGirl » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:55 am

Warming, Cooling, Warming, Cooling all throughout time. :roll:
PharmGirl
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Global warming!!

Postby Cate McCalley » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:20 pm

PharmGirl wrote:Warming, Cooling, Warming, Cooling all throughout time. :roll:


I used to have a map that covered an eight foot wall. Don’t know what happened to it. It was a map showing cataclysmic periods of the earth. Some of which science has identified the cause, others not identified. One thing for certain, our planet has not always cycled warm to cool...cool to warm.

There’s scienfic proof the Reptilian Age ended rapidly. With the larger of the species (i.e., dinasaurs) freezing to death because of an extreme temperature drop that virtually stopped their blood flow. Some Scientist speculate a giant meteorite entered the earths atmosphere, hitting the planet so hard it knocked the earth off it’s axis, forming a thick cloud of dust and debris, so thick the suns rays could not penetrate the barrier to keep the atmosphere warm enough for the larger reptilian life.

Some speculate that when the earths resources can no longer support a species (reptilian, human, etc.) the ‘cosmos’ intervenes to restore an orderly harmonious systematic.

Whatever one’s belief, it’s clear the earths resources cannot continue to support an exploding human population. At least the scientific community that studies such things, agree the stresses on the earths resources contribute to our rapidly changing climate. Just within the last decade we’ve seen sea levels and hurricanes seriously threaten populations living in and near the coastlines.


Time & Tide Changes Everything
User avatar
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)
 
Posts: 10018
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:54 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Random Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest