Harlan Co - Harlan Ind: (Sports)

Chat about Harlan County schools.

Harlan Co - Harlan Ind: (Sports)

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:11 pm

I have a gripe with last weeks basketball game at Harlan Ind. It has nothing to do with the officials, the game, the fans, or the coaches. It has to do with a sign that was taped to the table where you pay your admission to the game. It stated (and this isn't a direct quote, but close) "All tickets $5.00, EXCEPT for Harlan Independent Students". Harlan Ind students pay $1.00 for admission.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Re: Harlan Co VS Harlan Ind (Basketball)(ticket prices)

Postby me » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:59 pm

It has been that way all year, it was not just for the HC game. It gives Harlan students a chance to go to home games and support their school for a cheap price. Each student got an ID card at the beginning of the year that they may use at any home game any sport to receive the discount.
me

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:05 pm

What about the rest of the students from other schools who attend. Personally I find it very greedy to let your students in for a discounted price and to charge the rest of Harlan County Students the same as adults.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby doubletrouble » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:13 pm

I see nothing wrong with each individual school having a discount for their students and no one else. Before the schools were consolidated this probably would not have been brought up, but they were still Harlan County students, just in several different schools. Harlan Independent would have still had the right to only give discounts to the students attending their school only, just as Harlan County Public School can do the same back to them this weekend when they come to their school.
doubletrouble

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:18 pm

me me me me me me me is harlan city's motto, and they expect the county to allow students to keep flowing into their district when they cant be nice enough to allow all harlan county students into the game for a damn dollar.

Postby Unbridled Spirit » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:57 pm

I think this is absolutely ridiculous! All entering the game should have to pay the same amount. Do they also receive these discounts for football, softball, volleyball games, etc.?
Unbridled Spirit

Postby one for all » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:10 pm

Dont feel to bad, its going to happen on Friday and Sat. night when Harlan Ind comes to HC. Then they wonder why people dont come to the cames more often, they cant afford them
one for all

Postby DarkFairy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:14 pm

Interesting, I have always been under the impression that kids from Harlan Independent didn't need a discount, at least that is how their parents have always acted. :o
“One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation”
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby ~CJ~ » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:52 pm

I didn't know they did this. I think it is nothing more than greed, and they're teaching 'their" students to be greedy too. If they give discounts to their students, they should other students as well. How hard would that be to do? :evil:

Oh, and you are right DF.
~CJ~

Postby shine on » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:23 pm

DarkFairy wrote:Interesting, I have always been under the impression that kids from Harlan Independent didn't need a discount, at least that is how their parents have always acted. :o

I'm sorry you feel that way about the parents. I have two children who go to Harlan City and am always grateful for a discount on anything. It has been a long time since I was in school (a county school) and I remember being able to buy student tickets for games which was cheaper than admission at the door.
shine on

Postby one for all » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:00 pm

I think all students should be charged $1:00, more might come and support their schools, instead they are trying to get rich off them. Hell no one go to the game, and see how they like it
one for all

Postby I think » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:35 pm

that this weekend any Harlan County student at all Harlan Co. schools will get in the basketball games for FREE. This is for the boys & girl's varsity games. HC vs Harlan Ind. Take your kids to the game and cheer for the Bears and Lady Bears!!!!!

GO BEARS!!!!!!!!!
Beat those Dragons!!
I think

Postby Kelli » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:46 pm

DarkFairy wrote:Interesting, I have always been under the impression that kids from Harlan Independent didn't need a discount, at least that is how their parents have always acted. :o

LOL.. not all of us Harlan parents act that way :)
Unbridled Spirit wrote:I think this is absolutely ridiculous! All entering the game should have to pay the same amount. Do they also receive these discounts for football, softball, volleyball games, etc.?
yes they also get the discount for those games too..... it does come in handy for those of us who are not loaded ....my kids don't use their discounts though cause they don't like going to High school ballgames.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell. ~C.S. Lewis
Kelli
GFunk Is My Pimp

Postby DarkFairy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:42 pm

Kelli wrote:

LOL.. not all of us Harlan parents act that way :)
Unbridled Spirit wrote:I think this is absolutely ridiculous! All entering the game should have to pay the same amount. Do they also receive these discounts for football, softball, volleyball games, etc.?
yes they also get the discount for those games too..... it does come in handy for those of us who are not loaded ....my kids don't use their discounts though cause they don't like going to High school ballgames.

There is an exception to every rule, my dear, and I think you must be it this time! :D
“One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation”
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:39 am

I am glad the county isn't going to renew the deal to allow money to follow students. If you want to punish county students by making them pay more than city students this tells me that you need them to begin with.

Next

Return to Harlan County Schools