Sno Go!

Chat about Harlan County schools.

Re: No School for 1-10-2011

Postby Wild » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:00 am

My son is having to read several books while out of school. He also has to do math on the pc.

Here is a web site the kiddies can work on..

softschools.com
http://www.learnatest.com
http://www.funbrain.com
http://www.learninggamesforkids.com
People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one, sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. -Marilyn
Negative people will bring you down. Positive people will bring you up... Make the right choice of the people you have in your life.
Wild
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Jack Rabbit » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:47 pm

I bet the Harlan County Schools will be closed Friday cause its pooring the snow up here on Cloverfork.
EDIT.I just got the call no School for the County Schools.
Jack Rabbit

Postby Pappy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:52 pm

BabyBlue wrote:You know..in china the kids dont get a summer break and they go to school every day.lol..The kids over here would throw a hissy fit if we made them go to school all the time.Their brains would explode. :lol: :D

All that Schooling shows in China too,they make a great 3 dollar pair of Reeboks.
Pappy
Hardee's Parking Lot

Postby BabyBlue » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:43 am

They make the shoes and go to school.
Don't Drink and Drive. The life you save could be your own.
BabyBlue

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:47 am

Jennifer wrote:I've never been a huge fan of summer break, in my eyes it just not realistic for children in the sense that in the real life we don't get summer break.. I'm getting really worried about my children's education at this point, I can only do so much from home while they are here. This has been 3 straight years that at some point during the winter months we have has so many snow days. I'm a huge fan of consistency is the key to education.

Although I am highly dependent on the buses, I want my kids to be safe and I've had so much fun with them home. But at what point will educators see that this is not working? I just wonder if anyone has thought of having a nontraditional calender school year? I'm sure most will not understand, but vacations and running lose in the summer time is fun, but what about the fundamentals of education.

I've allotted 2 hours of school time work for them everyday, but along with not being a proficient in math and spelling lol in some things I'm lost. Not only that but alot of their therapy is set up to be done at school, so they don't have to miss class. I'm kinda getting really worried.

The largest employer in Harlan Co gets a summer break, so it is realistic that if they strive to enter the teaching profession they will get summers off. Consistency is the key to behavior management, and the key to raising well mannered kids. What you should be worried about is programs such as the No Kids Left Behind Act, Cats Testing, Star reading program, and any other Government mandated test. Curriculum is the key to education.

If no child gets ahead, then no child will be left behind.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Re: Sno Go!

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:14 am

I hear that the county is dismissing early because of the weather. I do know that the roads hadn't been touched early this morning, or at least Pine Mtn hadn't been. I was also just told that a wreck occurred on Pine Mountain a little bit ago.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:02 pm

The Harlan County School System will be dismissing at 12:30 today.
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Legion » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:47 pm

Looks like a blizzard one minute and nothing the next.
Legion
Always A Bride

Postby Mermaid » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:51 pm

Where did the snow go? :? I thought it was supposed like start getting bad and stuff.
Mermaid
The First Lady

Previous

Return to Harlan County Schools