Archery Program Dropped @ HCHS

Chat about Harlan County schools.

Archery Program Dropped @ HCHS

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:13 am

Why did HCHS drop the archery program this year? We had a excellent team last year. I guess if it's not a sport that Tim Saylor likes it gets dropped

Re: Archery Program Dropped @ HCHS

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:23 pm

Does anyone remember all the promises that were made regarding new sports programs being added when the consolidation controversy was going on? I distinctly remember archery being used as an example and many kids were excited about it. It would be interesting to list the things that have been promised but not delivered or taken away since the school has been opened. I'd say there were parents who supported the consolidation ONLY because of those promises.

Postby E Z Duz It » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:29 am

Guest wrote:Why did HCHS drop the archery program this year? We had a excellent team last year. I guess if it's not a sport that Tim Saylor likes it gets dropped

guess they wouldnt name the bow after his dad :mrgreen:
Regarding
the mosque near ground zero, I say let them build it. But across the
street, we should put a topless bar, called "You Mecca Me Hot". Next to
that, a gay bar called "The Turban Cowboy" next to that, a pork-rib
restaurant called "Iraq o' Ribs", and a check cashing center called
........................"Iran out of money"
E Z Duz It

Postby Unbridled Spirit » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:37 pm

I think its really sad tht the program was dropped. Alot of kids were really interested and participated in the program. Also they learned alot that we can use right here in the mtns. in out everyday lives.
Unbridled Spirit

Postby ~CJ~ » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:53 pm

This is a shame. A lot of the kids really liked it. This may be the beginning of more programs ending too.
~CJ~

Postby the fluke » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:20 pm

i guess they were afraid that someone would accidently discharge a bow and shot them in the foot or tha other low lying spot. :lol:
the fluke
the fluke
Mountain Man

Postby Unbridled Spirit » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:44 am

Who decides which programs are "worthy" of keeping?
Unbridled Spirit

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:30 pm

The Saylor family gets together once a month or so and makes these decisions... Just like in the forties, and fifties, and sixties, right on through... Harlan county schools have only had one ruling family since the depression... I could tell you stories...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:06 pm

Bad news for those who enjoyed the Archery Program. Good news for the deer population.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:14 pm

They already got the consolidation, so now they can get rid of the programs they used to help justify it.

Postby Bushwhacker » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:40 am

I think this is absolutely bull$hit! Not all students want to play football, basket ball, track or some other BS sport that the old school bunch think are the only ones that are worth having.

I thinik that there should be as many different outlets for students to persue outside class as possible and give the entire student body a chance to fit in and excell in their chosen sport.

I was glad that the archery program had been implemented and upset that it has been dropped. If the parents of children who want the program would stand up and protest the program being dropped, maybe it could be reinstated.
Bushwhacker

Postby pretty princess » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:11 am

I agree Bushwhacker..Start a petition to get it reinstated. Do a letter to the editor. Get the news involved. Ask questions demand answers. Stand up for the program or if not for that then stand up for your children.
I'd rather dance in the storm than complain about the weather.
pretty princess

Postby Guest74 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:52 pm

I can't help but remember the petitions gathered and meetings that were held regarding the consolidation. Many people learned the hard way, we have no say what so ever except at election time.
Guest74

Postby First Amendment » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:11 am

I still believe that the superintendent's position should be an elected seat.
"Take away the right to say 'f!!k' and you take away the right to say 'f!!k the government.'" ~L. Bruce

"Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel." ~Bill Clinton

"Never explain yourself. Your friends don’t need it and your enemies won’t believe it. ~Belgicia Howell
First Amendment

Postby Jack Rabbit » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:41 am

First Amendment wrote:I still believe that the superintendent's position should be an elected seat.

;)
Jack Rabbit

Next

Return to Harlan County Schools