New Bullying Policy

Chat about Harlan County schools.

Re: New Bullying Policy

Postby thehereandnow » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:27 pm

DarkFairy wrote:I see what you're saying now, sorry for the confusion but I was a bit taken back at first.

No problem. I might have explained it better in the first post. It's hard to express yourself in writing, or I find it is.
thehereandnow

Postby guest » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:11 pm

hey.. i touched on this a while back, i normally do not post, but there is also emotional bullying, which is quite different. When i was in school which was a long time ago, kids can, and often are cruel to one another, which is really disturbing. Most or all of us were not raised that way, and
it is sometimes frightening to parents as well. You often question yourself, what am I doing wrong,,, is it just a different time... makes you appreciate your parents and that good ole raising.. but at the same time, our worries are with our babies, no matter how old they may be.
the teachers cannot keep up with all out children's problems and most are great about listening and trying to resolve issues, but i worry about those parents who are not involved. Heck, i am involved, and I still worry about school and the atmosphere,; with that , if we all think about, has a great impact of whom we become.

God Bless Parents and Teachers....

Postby Legion » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:21 pm

A group of girls were making fun of how one student wore her hair. They went as far as to post things on twitter and then the following day wore their hair in the same manner she did. They were reported and are in trouble over cyber bullying.
Legion
Always A Bride

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:52 pm

thehereandnow wrote:
Guest wrote:They may train you all but that doesn't mean administrators follow up on complaints made by students and parents.

Well, that's the parent's fault. It isn't school policy, it's the LAW. Law enforcement and the courts can be involved. If something is happening regarding bullying, it's LAW that they MUST show evidence they tried to correct the situation, or that the problem had been addressed. If it is continuing, I suggest involving law enforcement.

Somebody forgot to tell JACES about this law.. oh wait, not everybody follows the law.

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:00 pm

thehereandnow wrote:Let me clear up the post. I don't mean the school isn't at fault for not following up on any complaints. What I mean by it's the parents fault: If I was a parent and my child was being bullied at school, I would be at the school from dawn until dusk demanding something to be done. If the school didn't do anything, I would seek other forms of help, because it is AGAINST the law. I would consult a lawyer and even get law enforcement involved. I would not rest until my child was protected. If I was a parent and the school wasn't doing anything about my child being bullied and I didn't do anything, it was my fault for not seeking other means to help the situation. I'm not speaking as an employee of a school, I'm speaking as a human. Don't settle...it's against the law.

Hope that clears up my earlier post.

It does, however, not every parent can afford a lawyer. While that is a viable option if one so chooses, it wouldn't be necessary if educators did the right thing from the very beginning staring in the classroom. Teachers are the first point of contact with children when they are being bullied and as such, the teacher really needs to set aside whatever is stopping them from taking care of the issue immediately. Parents should not have to go through all the red tape that they seem to be having to go through to make sure their child is being protected as they should be. If the teacher can't resolve the issue then that alone is another plus for home schooling.

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:21 pm

Everybody is a victim... Suck it up and go on ya big baby...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Meadow » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:23 pm

I came across this topic and couldn't resist it.

My child is in Middle School this year. It is unbelievable and quite shocking some of the things that I am told. I cannot believe some of the stuff that goes on. It makes me wonder where are the employees when all this stuff is going on? Alot of things happening on the way back from lunch and in the gym during phys ed class, and I cannot help but wonder, is my child being watched? seen at all?

Now, I realize, you cannot see and hear everything. But some of the language and phrases, kids hitting and kicking kids, throwing stuff at each other, punching each other. My child has always been told, if someone hits you, you hit them back. If someone kicks you, kick them back. DEFEND YOURSELF. If you do not, they will never stop. If a bully sees they can get away with it, they will continue from now on. I had issues myself in High School. If the school is going to punish MY child for defending themselves, then so be it. My child will NOT be in trouble at home. I refuse to let my child sit back and let someone continuously push and bully them and say nothing to stand up for themselves.

Now, I realize that my child is not perfect.I am not a parent that says my child does nothing wrong. As parents, we know our children, and sometimes they will surprise you and do something you never ever thought they would do. But when I hear something about the same kid every single day, how this person constantly calls them names, throws things at them, hits them, pushes them, then there is some truth. The only place a child can learn the language and behavior is at home. They are only doing what they have seen or what they think is right. So you can't really blame the child, that falls on the parents, grandparents, or who ever is raising the child. So please folks, teach your kids some manners and morals. You can go to the school and ask them to address it yes, and they will. But sometimes it does no good. Sometimes you have children that have no problem with getting in trouble and will just continue to do it, those just could care less.

When it comes to a bullying situation, its one child's word against the other. Pretty much, most the time, your outcome is both children end up punished. I absolutely HATE that rule. If a child is defending him/herself, then it is my opinion that child should not be granted the same punishment as the kid that did it! I know in my case, I had to pretty much do all but beg my child to stand up for himself. When he finally gets brave enough to do it, then that's what happens. So I told my child, see, doesn't matter..if you are worrying about being in trouble, either way you are going to get punishment so you might as well make it good lol. This is just my personal opinion. I hate bullies!!!
Meadow

Postby Pappy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:31 pm

Meadow wrote:I came across this topic and couldn't resist it.

My child is in Middle School this year. It is unbelievable and quite shocking some of the things that I am told. I cannot believe some of the stuff that goes on. It makes me wonder where are the employees when all this stuff is going on? Alot of things happening on the way back from lunch and in the gym during phys ed class, and I cannot help but wonder, is my child being watched? seen at all?

Now, I realize, you cannot see and hear everything. But some of the language and phrases, kids hitting and kicking kids, throwing stuff at each other, punching each other. My child has always been told, if someone hits you, you hit them back. If someone kicks you, kick them back. DEFEND YOURSELF. If you do not, they will never stop. If a bully sees they can get away with it, they will continue from now on. I had issues myself in High School. If the school is going to punish MY child for defending themselves, then so be it. My child will NOT be in trouble at home. I refuse to let my child sit back and let someone continuously push and bully them and say nothing to stand up for themselves.

Now, I realize that my child is not perfect.I am not a parent that says my child does nothing wrong. As parents, we know our children, and sometimes they will surprise you and do something you never ever thought they would do. But when I hear something about the same kid every single day, how this person constantly calls them names, throws things at them, hits them, pushes them, then there is some truth. The only place a child can learn the language and behavior is at home. They are only doing what they have seen or what they think is right. So you can't really blame the child, that falls on the parents, grandparents, or who ever is raising the child. So please folks, teach your kids some manners and morals. You can go to the school and ask them to address it yes, and they will. But sometimes it does no good. Sometimes you have children that have no problem with getting in trouble and will just continue to do it, those just could care less.

When it comes to a bullying situation, its one child's word against the other. Pretty much, most the time, your outcome is both children end up punished. I absolutely HATE that rule. If a child is defending him/herself, then it is my opinion that child should not be granted the same punishment as the kid that did it! I know in my case, I had to pretty much do all but beg my child to stand up for himself. When he finally gets brave enough to do it, then that's what happens. So I told my child, see, doesn't matter..if you are worrying about being in trouble, either way you are going to get punishment so you might as well make it good lol. This is just my personal opinion. I hate bullies!!!

Kick em in their Nads
Pappy
Hardee's Parking Lot

Postby Meadow » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:38 pm

Thats what I said , but not those exact words of course :lol: I certainly feel like it though!
Meadow

Postby Legion » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:23 am

I read a study that stated 60% of boys who were bullies in junior high had a criminal record by their early 20s.
Legion
Always A Bride

Postby RAP » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:15 pm

It's a lost cause. The only thing you can do is make sure your child takes his or her part. Going through the channels of rules is to make both children take the same punishment. My daughter went through it and was literally tortured by four or five ugly young women when she was in high school, simply because she was pretty and they were jealous. When the principal told me after five or six trips to the school trying to get them to stop the abuse, that all would be given the same punishment if another incident happened. I was astounded and told my daughter right then in front of the principal, to stomp the hell out of anyone who touched her and then call me and I would come get her. She did and I did so the problem became which one wanted to fight her or me them or their mothers. Problem solved after the first one got stomped. And at my age it looks like I am going to have to do the same thing again. When peaceful means don't work you have to stand up.
Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keeps you strong, Sorrows keeps you human, Life keeps you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But true friends keep you going.
RAP
The Waltons

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:16 pm

Legion wrote:I read a study that stated 60% of boys who were bullies in junior high had a criminal record by their early 20s.

Because the spotlight is on it... Everybody wants the attention... We had bullies when I grew up... You either stood up or ran... If you ran you are probably still running... All men were created equal, so the saying goes... It does not say all men will always be equal... Shit happens git over it and move on... Everything is a talk show...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby pretty princess » Thu May 16, 2013 8:11 am

Personal experiences with the HCHS, bullying and administration. My son was a victim of the system. He's 17 years old and junior at the high school. He'd been doing really well advanced classes, etc. Comes home right after Christmas break and is ill. Well this continues on and on, vomiting, diarrhea, weight gain, stayed in his room, etc. He would be fine Friday night, Saturday and then Sunday night it would start over. Took him and had him checked for EVERYTHING illness, allergy, etc. Then one day we where talking and he says, mom I'd tell you some stuff but it would only make it worse on me because I know you'd go up to the school and raise HE!!. A couple more weeks went by he got worse. He went to the bus stop came home cause he'd been jumped at the bus stop. Well I'd had enough so the school calls and apparently there was video on phones of the whole incident which was erased by a "principal" without my viewing or consent. So we settled that issue and he finally told me the extent of the bullying, pushing him into lockers, knocking his books out of his hands, stealing his stuff, punching him and leaving bruises, etc. Yes he fought back and HE got in trouble. Soon after that he refused to go to school said he'd run away etc.

So I called his dad who lives away from here told him and I sent my son away to go to a school where he could get an education without the bullying.

NOW lets get to the point where I go to the school. I ask to speak to his counselor to get his paperwork for the new school, I tell her he will be moving, she looks at my son and says... I'm sorry your mom and dad are having trouble maybe they can work it out and you can come back.. I UNLEASHED on this lady. I said it's not me and his dad it's bullying.. explained situation.. and she says.. why didn't you tell someone we have MONITORED cameras everywhere and could have put a stop to it. I said if you have monitored cameras then how the HE!! did you not know about this before me. Filed formal complaint and was told since I took him out of school there was no longer an issue.

SHORT VERSION: I had to have my son move away from his home in order to stop him from being bullied and was offered no assistance by the administration, it was reported, it was told, all steps where taken and nothing was done. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE KIDS, rules, laws or anything else.
I'd rather dance in the storm than complain about the weather.
pretty princess

Postby DarkFairy » Thu May 16, 2013 2:15 pm

Pretty Princess, I am sorry your son had to go thru that, it is ridiculous how they treat people anymore! They treat the parents as if "we" are lying when we go to confront them about a situation, as if "we" did something wrong instead of them! I hope your son is doing better now, I know it is hard on you but at least he can go to school in peace now and actually learn instead of worrying about the other kids.
“One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation”
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby pretty princess » Fri May 17, 2013 9:42 pm

DarkFairy wrote:Pretty Princess, I am sorry your son had to go thru that, it is ridiculous how they treat people anymore! They treat the parents as if "we" are lying when we go to confront them about a situation, as if "we" did something wrong instead of them! I hope your son is doing better now, I know it is hard on you but at least he can go to school in peace now and actually learn instead of worrying about the other kids.

Thank you very much. He is doing very well. I miss him everyday but I know he's safe and he's doing so very well in school now. He has joined the football team, which he never felt he could here. I hate that he had to leave his home but it is for the best.
I'd rather dance in the storm than complain about the weather.
pretty princess

PreviousNext

Return to Harlan County Schools