New Bullying Policy

Chat about Harlan County schools.

New Bullying Policy

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:47 pm

I hear that the county school had a meeting the other day to discuss the bullying problems. I just wonder if the rules apply to school admistrators?

Re: New Bullying Policy

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:42 pm

Guest wrote:I hear that the county school had a meeting the other day to discuss the bullying problems. I just wonder if the rules apply to school admistrators?

WTF!?!?!?
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby thehereandnow » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:09 am

Bullying has been against the law for a couple years now. Bullying takes place in the schools and they try to train us on identifying bullying and taking care of it in our classrooms.
thehereandnow

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:50 am

They may train you all but that doesn't mean administrators follow up on complaints made by students and parents.

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:36 pm

I wonder if we could get a copy donated to the Cumberland Council Members.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby thehereandnow » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:51 pm

Guest wrote:They may train you all but that doesn't mean administrators follow up on complaints made by students and parents.

Well, that's the parent's fault. It isn't school policy, it's the LAW. Law enforcement and the courts can be involved. If something is happening regarding bullying, it's LAW that they MUST show evidence they tried to correct the situation, or that the problem had been addressed. If it is continuing, I suggest involving law enforcement.
thehereandnow

Postby DarkFairy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:32 am

thehereandnow wrote:
Guest wrote:They may train you all but that doesn't mean administrators follow up on complaints made by students and parents.

Well, that's the parent's fault. It isn't school policy, it's the LAW. Law enforcement and the courts can be involved. If something is happening regarding bullying, it's LAW that they MUST show evidence they tried to correct the situation, or that the problem had been addressed. If it is continuing, I suggest involving law enforcement.

What do you mean it is the PARENTS fault when the school doesn't follow up on a complaint that was made to them?? Contacting the school and filing a complaint would be the first step in trying to correct the situation, don't you think? OMG, that is very angering when a school employee says it's the parents fault when THEY don't try to help the situation by doing a follow up on a bullying complaint! So you're saying, "too bad, it's not our place to help you, you have to contact law enforcement to have anything checked on"

What if the situation isn't to the point where law enforcement need to be involved, would you not rather follow up on the complaint and hopefully that would be enough for it to stop before sending a kid to juvie?

If I misunderstood your post, I apologize but please explain yourself if that isn't what you meant.
“One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation”
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:39 am

thehereandnow wrote:

How is it the parents fault? Doesn't the school have to follow the LAW? Maybe law enforcement should be in the school system to assure that the kids rights are not violated by employees.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:53 am

How would it be the parents fault?

Postby thehereandnow » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:39 am

Let me clear up the post. I don't mean the school isn't at fault for not following up on any complaints. What I mean by it's the parents fault: If I was a parent and my child was being bullied at school, I would be at the school from dawn until dusk demanding something to be done. If the school didn't do anything, I would seek other forms of help, because it is AGAINST the law. I would consult a lawyer and even get law enforcement involved. I would not rest until my child was protected. If I was a parent and the school wasn't doing anything about my child being bullied and I didn't do anything, it was my fault for not seeking other means to help the situation. I'm not speaking as an employee of a school, I'm speaking as a human. Don't settle...it's against the law.

Hope that clears up my earlier post.
thehereandnow

Postby thehereandnow » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:41 am

DarkFairy wrote:
thehereandnow wrote:

What do you mean it is the PARENTS fault when the school doesn't follow up on a complaint that was made to them?? Contacting the school and filing a complaint would be the first step in trying to correct the situation, don't you think? OMG, that is very angering when a school employee says it's the parents fault when THEY don't try to help the situation by doing a follow up on a bullying complaint! So you're saying, "too bad, it's not our place to help you, you have to contact law enforcement to have anything checked on"

What if the situation isn't to the point where law enforcement need to be involved, would you not rather follow up on the complaint and hopefully that would be enough for it to stop before sending a kid to juvie?

If I misunderstood your post, I apologize but please explain yourself if that isn't what you meant.

Dark,

I was responding to Guest's post:

"They may train you all but that doesn't mean administrators follow up on complaints made by students and parents."

And I said it was the parents fault because there was other actions to be taken if a complaint wasn't investigated.

Hope that clears everything up.
thehereandnow

Postby thehereandnow » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:46 am

Guest wrote:
thehereandnow wrote:

How is it the parents fault? Doesn't the school have to follow the LAW? Maybe law enforcement should be in the school system to assure that the kids rights are not violated by employees.

Guest posted: They may train you all but that doesn't mean administrators follow up on complaints made by students and parents.

That indicates that the school isn't following the law. What do you do as a parent when your kid is being bullied at school and the school isn't doing anything about it??? You seek other means of help. You don't rest until your child is protected. Don't get me wrong, schools are following the law because they know they can get into trouble, but there are some cases that problems aren't addressed. That's what I was saying that it was the fault of the parent, because I would demand the school do something or file suit.
thehereandnow

Postby DarkFairy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:55 am

I knew who and what you were replying to but honestly "no, that doesn't clear it up". So you mean the parent should hound the school until they do a follow up or just go straight to law enforcement? If the student is making the complaint and it is not followed up on then are they (the student) suppose to contact law enforcement instead of school administrators?

I am sorry but I am not understanding your reasoning. When our kids are at the school they are in the care of the adults at the school, a complaint should be taken seriously and checked into. I just don't see how you can blame parents for the school not doing their job properly. I do understand you might be saying it is not the schools place to contact law enforcement but I am just wondering why it would need to go that far in the first place unless the bullying continues. BUT how would the school know it is continuing if they aren't checking into it?

If the school isn't doing their job I understand parents need to go over the schools head but why wouldn't the school check into it is my question? Do they check into bullying complaints or do they just shuck it off to law enforcement by saying "that is not our responsibility to keep that kid safe while at school"? Because that is exactly what it sounds like you are saying.
“One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation”
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby thehereandnow » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:11 am

I am not saying the school don't investigate the complaint. The post I was replying to said the school DIDN'T.

I'm saying there are other means to keep a child safe. If the school ISN'T doing their job, the parent should not stop until the kid is safe.

The schools are supposed to follow up on bullying complaints and CAN get into trouble. Of course students can't go to law enforcement. Schools are supposed to keep the kids safe. When the parent feels like the school isn't doing their job, like the post stated, there are other means to MAKE the school do their job. If my child was being bullied and I didn't think the school was doing anything I would be down there each and every hour of the day.

I'm speaking about if the process doesn't work and the methods of providing for bullied kids, I in no way am upholding for schools who do not do what they are supposed to do.

I'm sorry I'm not making myself clear.
thehereandnow

Postby DarkFairy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:49 pm

I see what you're saying now, sorry for the confusion but I was a bit taken back at first.
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Next

Return to Harlan County Schools