New Bullying Policy

Chat about Harlan County schools.

Re: New Bullying Policy

Postby DarkFairy » Sat May 18, 2013 1:16 am

pretty princess wrote:
DarkFairy wrote:Pretty Princess, I am sorry your son had to go thru that, it is ridiculous how they treat people anymore! They treat the parents as if "we" are lying when we go to confront them about a situation, as if "we" did something wrong instead of them! I hope your son is doing better now, I know it is hard on you but at least he can go to school in peace now and actually learn instead of worrying about the other kids.

Thank you very much. He is doing very well. I miss him everyday but I know he's safe and he's doing so very well in school now. He has joined the football team, which he never felt he could here. I hate that he had to leave his home but it is for the best.

You're very welcome! I am glad he was able to keep his grades high and to get involved in sports, that is awesome!

What is so very sad is the mere fact he had to leave because the school wouldn't do anything about it. Aren't they legally suppose to do something since all these new bullying laws were passed? Couldn't that be seen as negligence on their part? I am not saying you should sue them or anything, but not saying you shouldn't either..... I am just wondering.
“One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation”
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby pretty princess » Sun May 19, 2013 5:52 pm

DarkFairy wrote:
pretty princess wrote:
DarkFairy wrote:Pretty Princess, I am sorry your son had to go thru that, it is ridiculous how they treat people anymore! They treat the parents as if "we" are lying when we go to confront them about a situation, as if "we" did something wrong instead of them! I hope your son is doing better now, I know it is hard on you but at least he can go to school in peace now and actually learn instead of worrying about the other kids.

Thank you very much. He is doing very well. I miss him everyday but I know he's safe and he's doing so very well in school now. He has joined the football team, which he never felt he could here. I hate that he had to leave his home but it is for the best.

You're very welcome! I am glad he was able to keep his grades high and to get involved in sports, that is awesome!

What is so very sad is the mere fact he had to leave because the school wouldn't do anything about it. Aren't they legally suppose to do something since all these new bullying laws were passed? Couldn't that be seen as negligence on their part? I am not saying you should sue them or anything, but not saying you shouldn't either..... I am just wondering.

I am doing some research about it. It seems as though since I decided to remove him from the situation there is no longer a situation... Guess the past is no longer relevant but I'm not sure. I will post what I find maybe it will help some other people as well.
I'd rather dance in the storm than complain about the weather.
pretty princess

Postby Meadow » Sun May 19, 2013 7:43 pm

I have came to the conclusion that there will always be bullies no matter what we do. I do think there needs to be better policies when it comes to these situations though.

My child came home for months , every single day, telling me that one child constantly was kicking, punching, tripping him, throwing things at him, just SOMETHING EVERY DAY. So, I told him to defend himself against the other child. He had constantly ignored it and done nothing. So, as most do, he got tired of it. The other child threw a ball and hit him in the face, so he picked it up and he threw the ball back. The child then came up and punched him in eye! So, to make a long story short, the end result here was that not only was that child given AE, so was mine. So the bullshit about "If a kid is defending them self, they will not be punished" is a complete lie. My child has never been in trouble, not once, for anything up until that point. He has always been well behaved at school. He has been taught to respect his teachers and classmates. Now, is my child perfect or Innocent? Absolutely not! However, this child had been in trouble and in AE multiple multiple times the entire year, as opposed to my child, and also, when brought to their attention, they didn't even know who he was, because he had never, not once been in trouble. So I kind of let it slide, he did his day of AE and we forgot about it. NOW, it is the end of the school year, and they are going on a field trip tomorrow. He was informed because of his day of AE, he is not allowed to go on the field trip. That really and truly pisses me off. And when it comes to next year, when they send home their "Code of Conduct" book, and the page to sign, I will be reading those policies and procedures a lot more carefully before my signature goes anywhere on it. I am sorry, but a child that has NEVER been in trouble, does well in school, should not be forced to watch others participate in a field trip while they stay at school. I think that is complete crap.
Meadow

Postby Gurt B Frobe » Sun May 19, 2013 8:15 pm

When the policy of punishing the victim along with the perpetrator was enacted in the school system years ago; bullying became more prevalent. Why you ask? Because bullies know that in all likelihood their victim will not come back and beat their ass. I guarantee you if parents demanded this policy be changed or take their kids out attitudes would change.
“When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads.”
― Ron Paul
Gurt B Frobe
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby jeepers creepers » Sun May 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Bullying is not new. The only thing new is how it is handled now days!
"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"
jeepers creepers
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Gurt B Frobe » Sun May 19, 2013 8:52 pm

I never said bullying was new, I said it is more prevalent now.
“When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads.”
― Ron Paul
Gurt B Frobe
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Sun May 19, 2013 9:43 pm

Gurt B Frobe wrote:When the policy of punishing the victim along with the perpetrator was enacted in the school system years ago; bullying became more prevalent. Why you ask? Because bullies know that in all likelihood their victim will not come back and beat their ass. I guarantee you if parents demanded this policy be changed or take their kids out attitudes would change.

Rape victims receive the same treatment. If you strike back or attempt to have the perpetrator punished you will be pubished as well. Harlan Ind has a policy if you receive AE anytime during the school year you are forbidden from going on the end of the year field trip. Regardless if you are defending yourself or not. So you have two choices, defend yourself and suffer zero tolerance, or you don't defend yourself, or report it. Everything needs to be looked at on a case by case basis, and not a big blanket to cover everything.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby jeepers creepers » Sun May 19, 2013 10:14 pm

Gurt B Frobe wrote:I never said bullying was new, I said it is more prevalent now.

Attitude adjustments all ways worked in the past!
"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"
jeepers creepers
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby DarkFairy » Mon May 20, 2013 1:25 am

pretty princess wrote:I am doing some research about it. It seems as though since I decided to remove him from the situation there is no longer a situation... Guess the past is no longer relevant but I'm not sure. I will post what I find maybe it will help some other people as well.

That is just insane, why would you let your child remain in that situation...of course you removed him because they were not handling the situation!

By what they are saying, it sounds as if they are blaming your child for being bullied...you know what I mean? I am sure that other kid bullied more than just your child. Their logic doesn't make sense to me.....excuse this analogy but it is what hit me.....we can remove a body from a crime scene but that doesn't mean the killer isn't still there....they need to catch the killer before more bodies have to be removed, if they know who the killer is then they would punish him for murder instead of saying "oh well, the situation resolved itself, cause the guy isn't alive anymore" .

I know the analogy is kinda crude but....that is how my mind works.
“One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation”
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby pretty princess » Mon May 20, 2013 6:26 am

Meadow wrote:I have came to the conclusion that there will always be bullies no matter what we do. I do think there needs to be better policies when it comes to these situations though.

My child came home for months , every single day, telling me that one child constantly was kicking, punching, tripping him, throwing things at him, just SOMETHING EVERY DAY. So, I told him to defend himself against the other child. He had constantly ignored it and done nothing. So, as most do, he got tired of it. The other child threw a ball and hit him in the face, so he picked it up and he threw the ball back. The child then came up and punched him in eye! So, to make a long story short, the end result here was that not only was that child given AE, so was mine. So the bullshit about "If a kid is defending them self, they will not be punished" is a complete lie. My child has never been in trouble, not once, for anything up until that point. He has always been well behaved at school. He has been taught to respect his teachers and classmates. Now, is my child perfect or Innocent? Absolutely not! However, this child had been in trouble and in AE multiple multiple times the entire year, as opposed to my child, and also, when brought to their attention, they didn't even know who he was, because he had never, not once been in trouble. So I kind of let it slide, he did his day of AE and we forgot about it. NOW, it is the end of the school year, and they are going on a field trip tomorrow. He was informed because of his day of AE, he is not allowed to go on the field trip. That really and truly pisses me off. And when it comes to next year, when they send home their "Code of Conduct" book, and the page to sign, I will be reading those policies and procedures a lot more carefully before my signature goes anywhere on it. I am sorry, but a child that has NEVER been in trouble, does well in school, should not be forced to watch others participate in a field trip while they stay at school. I think that is complete crap.

It's just plain wrong that your child who has had AE one time for defending himself is treated like a disruptive child. However I have ran into the same thing with mine. Also, once you sign that code of conduct form it's giving them permission for every punishment in the book. I'm sorry he has had to go through this it's very sad.
pretty princess

Postby pretty princess » Mon May 20, 2013 6:30 am

DarkFairy wrote:
pretty princess wrote:I am doing some research about it. It seems as though since I decided to remove him from the situation there is no longer a situation... Guess the past is no longer relevant but I'm not sure. I will post what I find maybe it will help some other people as well.

That is just insane, why would you let your child remain in that situation...of course you removed him because they were not handling the situation!

By what they are saying, it sounds as if they are blaming your child for being bullied...you know what I mean? I am sure that other kid bullied more than just your child. Their logic doesn't make sense to me.....excuse this analogy but it is what hit me.....we can remove a body from a crime scene but that doesn't mean the killer isn't still there....they need to catch the killer before more bodies have to be removed, if they know who the killer is then they would punish him for murder instead of saying "oh well, the situation resolved itself, cause the guy isn't alive anymore" .

I know the analogy is kinda crude but....that is how my mind works.

Made perfect sense to me because that's exactly how I thought of it..lol... But it's true, that's how they are viewing it. This is the brick wall I'm hitting, because I signed the code of conduct page in the back I am forced to go by their rules, no matter how many times they change them to fit their needs.
pretty princess

Postby DarkFairy » Wed May 22, 2013 4:23 pm

It's just ridiculous how they bend and twist things because they are so afraid of pissing anyone off because their kid was being bad and got in trouble! Makes me sick!
Thomas Brackett Reed
DarkFairy

Postby Meadow » Wed May 22, 2013 9:39 pm

pretty princess wrote:
Meadow wrote:I have came to the conclusion that there will always be bullies no matter what we do. I do think there needs to be better policies when it comes to these situations though.

It's just plain wrong that your child who has had AE one time for defending himself is treated like a disruptive child. However I have ran into the same thing with mine. Also, once you sign that code of conduct form it's giving them permission for every punishment in the book. I'm sorry he has had to go through this it's very sad.

Thank you :) Yes, it is sad. But , even if he does have to be put in AE, I will continue to always tell my child to defend himself, never letter anyone walk on you. Hoping next year is better, and things go smooth!
Meadow

Previous

Return to Harlan County Schools