HCHS Free Lunch Program/Update: Complaints/Pics

Chat about Harlan County schools.

Re: HCHS Free Lunch Program/Update: Complaints/Pics

Postby WildmanLivesOn » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:15 am

Maybe I was confusing or misunderstood in the first post. The juices were confiscated and a meeting was called to discuss the legality of removing leftovers from the property. It was previously a common occurrence for some of the unopened or prepackaged leftovers destined for the trash bin be taken to some of the less fortunate, identified by those delivering the items. That process has now been halted with the threat of legal action. This was never an issue with the former administration.
Searching through numerous examples of this happening in news reports across the country, while it seems common for school districts to frown upon the practice, even though Good Samaritan laws protect institutions from legal action in such cases, I could find no specific laws or disallowing such a practice.
Seems to me the Food Service Department, who's primary job is to feed children, would not object to perfectly good items deemed un-salvageable under food service guidelines, meaning that since they have been served (forced into a tray) to a student, and that student in turn placed the item back into a redistribution bin for his/her peers until the end of that lunch session, rather than being wasted and thrown into the trash, be available to be distributed to less fortunate peoples within the county.
I was simply trying to bring light on what I perceive as an injustice to some who may have come to rely on these items to make up part of their daily nutrition at home while asking if anyone was aware of any legalities, other than because "I, the Food Service Director said so," banning the practice. And because it sickens me that a some pompous asshole would have the gumption, even if it is deemed illegal by state and/or federal standards (which I can find no evidence of whatsoever) to deny a child that may not get the nutrition he deserves at home, the blessings of much kinder people who are aware of these struggles and the apples, oranges, juices, milks they give them.
So basically what you have is, "Yes, we are throwing it away. No, you can't have it. I don't care who you're giving it to or that they can't afford groceries. Why? Because I said so."
Let that sink in for a minute.
WildmanLivesOn

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:19 am

Especially when the pompous asshole isn't even qualified for the position, or wasn't at the time he was hired for it. Now Joe Grieshop would be fully qualified. :lol:
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby ScArEcRoW » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:37 am

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:Especially when the pompous asshole isn't even qualified for the position, or wasn't at the time he was hired for it. Now Joe Grieshop would be fully qualified. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Those who said he would be in Dan's office were oh so wrong.
ScArEcRoW
(no custom rank chosen)

Previous

Return to Harlan County Schools