HCHS Free Lunch Program/Update: Complaints/Pics

Chat about Harlan County schools.

Re: HCHS Free Lunch Program/Update: Complaints/Pics

Postby Cate McCalley » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:20 pm

ScArEcRoW wrote:
upallnight wrote:In Africa today, President Obama offered to hand out Michelle's school lunches, but even the Ethiopians said no thanks.

That's a good one! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really? Starving Ethiopean children with stick like arms and legs and heads, that except for hungry human eyes and protruding bellies, could be mistaken for a skeleton refusing free sustenance that U.S. Kids rake off their plates, in protest of their food preferences, is funny? Somehow, I don't see humor in it. My bad. Guess my taste of appreciation for this kind "humor" never developed.

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Briscoe » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:37 pm

Cate McCalley wrote:
ScArEcRoW wrote:
upallnight wrote:In Africa today, President Obama offered to hand out Michelle's school lunches, but even the Ethiopians said no thanks.

That's a good one! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really? Starving Ethiopean children with stick like arms and legs and heads, that except for hungry human eyes and protruding bellies, could be mistaken for a skeleton refusing free sustenance that U.S. Kids rake off their plates, in protest of their food preferences, is funny? Somehow, I don't see humor in it. My bad. Guess my taste of appreciation for this kind "humor" never developed.

cate, you old fuddy dud, chill.
"get that son of a bitch off the field...he's fired." - donald trump
Briscoe
HornDog

Postby Briscoe » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:59 pm

is anybody going to the hhs reunion tonight at the portal and tomorrow at the center? you'll know me, i'll be the one staggering around all over the place. be there or be square.
Briscoe
HornDog

Postby upallnight » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:43 am

I would have went had I known ahead of time. What's happening at the center?
upallnight

Postby Briscoe » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:02 am

upallnight wrote:I would have went had I known ahead of time. What's happening at the center?

i think they are having a dinner at the center this evening. i was told it will be free. the buffet last night was ten dollars but everybody seemed to have a good time.
Briscoe
HornDog

Postby Demon Hunter » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:45 pm

I was at the Portal last night but wasn't allowed upstairs. I had food and drinks downstairs.
Demon Hunter

Postby WildmanLivesOn » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:33 pm

Seems as though collection efforts of leftover packaged foods and fresh fruit by some staff members of the Harlan County High have been ceded after receiving a verbal cease and desist order from Nutrition Superintendent Jack Miniard. According to sources, juices that were collected from the lunchroom tables following lunch, and unwanted items left in a bin to share with other students, unfit for reuse to students, were confiscated from a vehicle after an employee had collected them to be handed out to needy kids in the employee's local community. A meeting was called the following day, explaining that no food items could leave the cafeteria per state regulations and doing so was a punishable offense. However, it was stated by Miniard that rules discussed in the meeting apply only to cafeteria staff and he could not control the rest of the employee population.

Looks like there could be a focused way to collect these foods for donation, either through a county program or private function. The foods are typically prepackaged and sanitary and given to the schools free of charge by the USDA through federal DOD programs. It's a shame that the nutrition department would halt efforts to feed the needy.

Can anyone quote laws on the collection of foods for donation. As it stands now, according to county and state guidelines quoted by Miniard, it is considered theft to salvage any food item and all leftover items are to be disposed of in the trash. Failure to do so could lead to loss of funding from state and federally subsidized nutrition programs.
WildmanLivesOn

Postby Cate McCalley » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:47 am

WildmanLivesOn wrote:Seems as though collection efforts of leftover packaged foods and fresh fruit by some staff members of the Harlan County High have been ceded after receiving a verbal cease and desist order from Nutrition Superintendent Jack Miniard. According to sources, juices that were collected from the lunchroom tables following lunch, and unwanted items left in a bin to share with other students, unfit for reuse to students, were confiscated from a vehicle after an employee had collected them to be handed out to needy kids in the employee's local community. A meeting was called the following day, explaining that no food items could leave the cafeteria per state regulations and doing so was a punishable offense. However, it was stated by Miniard that rules discussed in the meeting apply only to cafeteria staff and he could not control the rest of the employee population.

Looks like there could be a focused way to collect these foods for donation, either through a county program or private function. The foods are typically prepackaged and sanitary and given to the schools free of charge by the USDA through federal DOD programs. It's a shame that the nutrition department would halt efforts to feed the needy.

Can anyone quote laws on the collection of foods for donation. As it stands now, according to county and state guidelines quoted by Miniard, it is considered theft to salvage any food item and all leftover items are to be disposed of in the trash. Failure to do so could lead to loss of funding from state and federally subsidized nutrition programs.

An award winning nationwide organization, Rock and Wrap It Up, that collects food from institutions including public schools to feed the needy, may be able to better guide you, with information on the requirements and government regulations of salvaging 'intact' food to feed the needy in the community. It's a start.

http://rockandwrapitup.org/

Time & Tide Changes Everything
Cate McCalley
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:41 am

Interesting!!!!! What needy community? It's my experience that the vast majority of teachers tend to live in less needy neighborhoods.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Gurt B Frobe » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:37 am

You know the food is slop when teenagers who eat like pigs leave enough behind to share with others.
“When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads.”
― Ron Paul
Gurt B Frobe
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Legion » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:20 am

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:Interesting!!!!! What needy community? It's my experience that the vast majority of teachers tend to live in less needy neighborhoods.

Can drives can be set up in the schools. I'm going to ask it since my boy G hinted about it. Was the teacher taking the food home?
Legion
Always A Bride

Postby WildmanLivesOn » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:12 pm

The distribution efforts are usually carried out by lower paid staff members, ex., custodians, cafeteria workers. Typically not teachers.
WildmanLivesOn

Postby upallnight » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:03 am

WildmanLivesOn wrote:The distribution efforts are usually carried out by lower paid staff members, ex., custodians, cafeteria workers. Typically not teachers.

It sounds very suspicious indeed.
upallnight

Postby ScArEcRoW » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:50 pm

They can't give that shit away lol.
ScArEcRoW
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Cornbread » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:43 pm

Something doesn't sound right. In Wildmans first post he made it sound like legal action had been taken.
Cornbread
Django

PreviousNext

Return to Harlan County Schools