HCHS ACT scores from 2011 Top 100 students ACT Score 20

Chat about Harlan County schools.

Re: HCHS ACT scores from 2011 Top 100 students ACT Score 20

Postby Mermaid » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:48 pm

My ACT score was 25. I got into a 4 year college, however I chose to go to a community college due to certain circumstances. My high school was not state funded which meant it was a pretty poor school ran solely on donations, but because I applied myself I was still able learn from what materials they had to offer. Now, I'm 4 years out of college and have been working for 3.5 of them in the field of which I got my degree. So, just because the school doesn't have the newest and most hi-tech materials and equipment, that's not the reason the students are lacking. The students need to apply themselves to learn, open their minds, and realize that they are there to learn whether they want to be there or not. Their future, their children's futures, and their children's children's futures depend on them learning right NOW.
Mermaid
The First Lady

Postby goat47 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:39 pm

Mermaid wrote:My ACT score was 25. I got into a 4 year college, however I chose to go to a community college due to certain circumstances. My high school was not state funded which meant it was a pretty poor school ran solely on donations, but because I applied myself I was still able learn from what materials they had to offer. Now, I'm 4 years out of college and have been working for 3.5 of them in the field of which I got my degree. So, just because the school doesn't have the newest and most hi-tech materials and equipment, that's not the reason the students are lacking. The students need to apply themselves to learn, open their minds, and realize that they are there to learn whether they want to be there or not. Their future, their children's futures, and their children's children's futures depend on them learning right NOW.

APPLAUSE!!!!!!!! It helped that your high school didn't have to teach to a set of government tests.
goat47
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Pappy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:19 pm

My ACT score was 9 but I got admitted to Penn State or was that State Penn anyways I graduated after serving 30 Years for being a Pansexual. :lol: :lol:
Pappy
Hardee's Parking Lot

Postby Mtn_girl74 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:20 am

I agree with Goat47. School systems are mandating that our teachers stick to the core content prescribed by some "expert" government official. I agree that there should be some regulatory committee that evaluates the subjects taught in our public school systems, but not nearly to the degree that they currently is governed. First, students should be taught (at a minimum) the basics: how to read at a high school graduate level or better, how to express themselves both orally and written, basic math, current events, American and World history, and life skills. Second, for those students who plan on attending college, shape their studies to help them be successful in post-secondary education. This would include additional courses, such as foreign language, higher level mathematics, literature, and sciences. Third, design curriculum for those students who plan on taking vocational courses. We often overlook these students, but often, they are more determined to reach their goals than other students. Fourth, for those students who are just there until they quit, get expelled, or graduate to follow in the check-drawing careers of their parents, there needs to be some type of courses that would allow career exploration. Maybe one or two of these students would become interested in something and break the cycle.

Not to brag (OK, I do want to brag a little), but I scored 30 in both the math and science portions of the ACT, which are the subjects I majored in. I was very fortunate to have some really good teachers, but I did have to put the work in myself. I also had parents who would accept nothing less than my best, which I hated back then, but now I am very thankful for. You have to be given the tools to succeed, you have to want to succeed, and you have to have the encouragement to succeed.
Mtn_girl74

Postby upallnight » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:21 am

Pappy wrote:My ACT score was 9 but I got admitted to Penn State or was that State Penn anyways I graduated after serving 30 Years for being a Pansexual. :lol: :lol:

The State Pen is more like it. :lol:
upallnight

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:16 am

"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby VoteMout » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:07 am

We have outgrown the need for ACT or SAT testing. What should really matter would be a combination of your high school career GPA. It shows your level of dedication, and hard work. How fair is it to compare scores of kids who have no testing training to kids who have paid for ACT-SAT prep courses.
VoteMout

Postby goat47 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:34 pm

VoteMout wrote:We have outgrown the need for ACT or SAT testing. What should really matter would be a combination of your high school career GPA. It shows your level of dedication, and hard work. How fair is it to compare scores of kids who have no testing training to kids who have paid for ACT-SAT prep courses.

I'm in agreement that showing a pattern of commitment for four years means more than a 3 hour test.
goat47
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Gopher » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:34 pm

You mean they didn't take the top 100 students?
Gopher
Carl The Groundskeeper

Previous

Return to Harlan County Schools