HCHS Graduation

Chat about Harlan County schools.

HCHS Graduation

Postby Fox » Mon May 07, 2012 11:21 pm

So I hear the valedictorians and salutatorians will not be giving speeches at the HCHS graduation. Once again I guess we see the lack of importance on education in the county school system. This is so sad. Families come from all over to see the graduates and to applaude those who have excelled in academics, yet it looks like they will be pushed to the back burner for the sake of time or to let some politician or undeserving school beuracrat have his or her few moments in the spotlight. This is truly pathetic.
"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government." --Thomas Jefferson
Fox

Re: Graduation

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Tue May 08, 2012 7:00 am

Fox wrote:So I hear the valedictorians and salutatorians will not be giving speeches at the HCHS graduation. Once again I guess we see the lack of importance on education in the county school system. This is so sad. Families come from all over to see the graduates and to applaude those who have excelled in academics, yet it looks like they will be pushed to the back burner for the sake of time or to let some politician or undeserving school beuracrat have his or her few moments in the spotlight. This is truly pathetic.

Sounds as though they are taking a page from Southeast's playbook.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Re: Graduation

Postby Guest » Tue May 08, 2012 8:06 am

Seems graduation isn't the only time the students are pushed back because of political beuracrat. The budget for the school systems isn't right either. The students are paying for bad teachers that don't teach them. The county needs to be sued for a "Failure to Educate". When you have teachers that sit all day long in a classroom and do nothing but have a tv for the students to watch it is a "Failure To EDUCATE".

http://blog.coreknowledge.org/2009/11/0%20...%20o-educate/

http://education-law.lawyers.com/school%20...%20-News.html

Educational Malpractice

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/3%20...%206151783993
http://ir.lawnet.fordham.edu/cgi/viewco%20...%20ontext=ulj

these are a few websites that shows the county that we DO have a failure to educate with some teachers at some schools~

Re: HCHS Graduation

Postby Guest » Tue May 08, 2012 3:27 pm

Athletics Before Academics.

Postby Gurt B Frobe » Tue May 08, 2012 9:21 pm

They require a patt on the back for teaching your children what they are paid to do. I hate when a teacher gets on his or her high horse talking about their job when they are no different than the rest of us. Other than our tax dollars pay for it.
“When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads.”
― Ron Paul
Gurt B Frobe
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Wild » Sun May 13, 2012 7:50 am

Gurt B Frobe wrote:They require a patt on the back for teaching your children what they are paid to do. I hate when a teacher gets on his or her high horse talking about their job when they are no different than the rest of us. Other than our tax dollars pay for it.

This comment bothered me and I will tell you why:
1. They are not paid that much to teach your children for all the years they are REQUIRED to spend in college classes nor the amount of money they spend out of their own pockets to get the said education to teach your children. This education they are required to get does not end with college they are required to spend hours and hours getting professional development training. This isn't a job where you walk in and the managers or employer likes the way you look and your hired.

2. Some teachers need that pat on the back for teaching children all that they do. Children spend 8 hours a day with a teacher. The teacher shapes and molds a student to becoming the best person they can be and then goes home.

3. Some students do not have parents that makes money, has good morals, teaches them right from wrong, not on drugs, not drunks, seeks medical help when the child needs it, or even cares if the child is alive or dead. (I personally seen a mother identify their child in the last few weeks who was so drugged up that she could not even react to seeing her child dead on the highway. Her great response was "Yeah, that is him". It took her several hours to get the drugs out of her system enough to realize he wasn't just laying there but DEAD.)

4. Your tax dollars do pay for the teacher BUT most teachers spend their paychecks on getting the supplies, extras for the classrooms, and even clothing the kids in their classrooms. (I have also seen that happen in almost every teachers classroom.)

The teachers are there because they love and care about the students, what our future holds, and all they want to do is make this world a better place. If there isn't a teacher out there doing that then they are there only for a pay check and do not care about the students, their lives, the students education, or this county, state, or nation.
People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one, sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. -Marilyn
Negative people will bring you down. Positive people will bring you up... Make the right choice of the people you have in your life.
Wild
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Pink Sugar » Sun May 13, 2012 6:38 pm

Wild wrote:
Gurt B Frobe wrote:They require a patt on the back for teaching your children what they are paid to do. I hate when a teacher gets on his or her high horse talking about their job when they are no different than the rest of us. Other than our tax dollars pay for it.

1. They are not paid that much to teach your children for all the years they are REQUIRED to spend in college classes nor the amount of money they spend out of their own pockets to get the said education to teach your children. This education they are required to get does not end with college they are required to spend hours and hours getting professional development training. This isn't a job where you walk in and the managers or employer likes the way you look and your hired.

2. Some teachers need that pat on the back for teaching children all that they do. Children spend 8 hours a day with a teacher. The teacher shapes and molds a student to becoming the best person they can be and then goes home.

3. Some students do not have parents that makes money, has good morals, teaches them right from wrong, not on drugs, not drunks, seeks medical help when the child needs it, or even cares if the child is alive or dead. (I personally seen a mother identify their child in the last few weeks who was so drugged up that she could not even react to seeing her child dead on the highway. Her great response was "Yeah, that is him". It took her several hours to get the drugs out of her system enough to realize he wasn't just laying there but DEAD.)

4. Your tax dollars do pay for the teacher BUT most teachers spend their paychecks on getting the supplies, extras for the classrooms, and even clothing the kids in their classrooms. (I have also seen that happen in almost every teachers classroom.)

The teachers are there because they love and care about the students, what our future holds, and all they want to do is make this world a better place. If there isn't a teacher out there doing that then they are there only for a pay check and do not care about the students, their lives, the students education, or this county, state, or nation.

For the most part I agree with your post Wild, however I think that several teachers just give up after a while or just don't care. Those teachers need to retire and move on to allow fresh new faces into the class rooms. I have seen several kids get passed on through school with little or no education just because the teachers or the parents didn't want to take the time to deal with them.
"I've Got the Skills to Pay the Bills"
Pink Sugar

Postby Wild » Sun May 13, 2012 6:53 pm

Thank you and I agree on your post also. If you no longer have the passion then you need to take a break or go on to a different career. I don't know why they don't have the mandatory 7 year absence like they do in other states. Every 7th year the teacher is required to go back to class, or take a break from the classroom and travel. This allows the teacher to refresh their mind and enjoy the classroom again.
People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one, sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. -Marilyn
Negative people will bring you down. Positive people will bring you up... Make the right choice of the people you have in your life.
Wild
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Sun May 13, 2012 8:50 pm

Pink Sugar wrote:
Wild wrote:

For the most part I agree with your post Wild, however I think that several teachers just give up after a while or just don't care. Those teachers need to retire and move on to allow fresh new faces into the class rooms. I have seen several kids get passed on through school with little or no education just because the teachers or the parents didn't want to take the time to deal with them.

The teachers that retire with on time end up going back... Good hours, good pay, long vacations, and no work...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Guest » Sun May 13, 2012 9:17 pm

most of them will be jail bait anyway let them sit there and watch TV

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Sun May 13, 2012 9:24 pm

The Teachers Union is the reason our kids are failing academically. Teacher tenure is the worst thing to happen to the educational system. Teachers are paid based on tenure and not their ability. Short of harming a child once a teacher receives tenure its a permanent contract for a job for life.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby the fluke » Wed May 16, 2012 9:29 pm

it is sad at what our schools have become. :(
the fluke
the fluke
Mountain Man

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Thu May 17, 2012 5:33 pm

the fluke wrote:it is sad at what our schools have become. :(

It's criminal, is what it is...
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Guest6 » Thu May 17, 2012 6:55 pm

If you seriously think there is 'no work' involved with teaching, then you obviously have never known a good teacher. Perhaps that explains a lot.
Guest6

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Thu May 17, 2012 8:00 pm

Guest6 wrote:If you seriously think there is 'no work' involved with teaching, then you obviously have never known a good teacher. Perhaps that explains a lot.

I knew a lot of good teachers back in the fifties and sixties... You'll not find that quality individual in the school system anymore... Over paid, under educated, tenured, slack asses...
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Next

Return to Harlan County Schools