School Funding

Chat about Harlan County schools.

School Funding

Postby Trojan1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:51 am

Eight schools in Harlan County have been assessed. Seven of those are part of the county school district. Green Hills and Evarts elementary schools are the two facilities found to be in most need of renovation or replacement. Wallins Elementary School that local school officials have pointed out as the top priority is, according to the assessment, in better condition than three other schools in the district.

“Both Green Hills and Evarts are in need of repairs. Certainly, Evarts is, in my opinion, in much better condition than Wallins. Green Hills need some repair done to it, and we have done some, but we’ve only got 170 students there, while we have over 400 at Wallins,” said Saylor.

Read more: The Harlan Daily Enterprise - Prospect for new Wallins school dim

While most of our schools need repairs, Wallins is definitely not the one in poorest condition. I'll bet that statement about Green Hills will upset those across the mountain. If your kid is one of the 170, does she have less need than any one else?
Trojan1

Re: School Funding

Postby jeepers creepers » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:03 am

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"
jeepers creepers
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:01 pm

I smell CSX's dirty hands in this...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Stan Nicely Jr » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:01 am

While most of our schools need repairs, Wallins is definitely not the one in poorest condition.

I'll have to disagree with that one. According to the facilities commission, the 2 "new" sections (1984 and 1991) that have been added to the original structure at Wallins (1945) brought the average score for Wallins up. The problem with that is that those new sections don't change the fact that the old section is heated by a coal boiler that, as far as I know, is as old as the school itself. It doesn't change the fact that the sewer system is in complete failure. I am, by no means saying, that Green Hill and Evarts are in the best of shape. However, in my opinion, Wallins is in the most desperate condition of disrepair, by far.
Stan Nicely Jr

Postby Bushwhacker » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:26 am

Fix the furnace and the toilet!
Bushwhacker

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:06 pm

In the future do better research when purchasing building sites...
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:09 pm

Joe Average Whiteguy wrote:In the future do better research when purchasing building sites...

Details?????
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:13 pm

GFunkMoneyDog wrote:
Joe Average Whiteguy wrote:In the future do better research when purchasing building sites...

Details?????

CSX told them from the beginning that they would not, or could not build the school where they bought... Any excavation on that site would flood the railroad in the event of high water... I know we got some employees on here, but I got to tell you the railroad is like the Mafia around here... If they say no then that means no... If they have to go higher up they will, but no means no...
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Stan Nicely Jr » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:02 pm

That may be true, but it is the first I've heard of it. Of course, I'm probably not very high on the list of people who would be told...lol
Stan Nicely Jr

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:10 pm

CSX told them from the beginning that they would not, or could not build the school where they bought... Any excavation on that site would flood the railroad in the event of high water... I know we got some employees on here, but I got to tell you the railroad is like the Mafia around here... If they say no then that means no... If they have to go higher up they will, but no means no...

That sounds about right.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Wild » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:44 pm

JUST A QUESTION:

If they can't build on the land they bought will anyone else be able to? Where else can they build a new school at in Wallins? I don't know that area much so remember that when you are replying.
People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one, sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. -Marilyn
Negative people will bring you down. Positive people will bring you up... Make the right choice of the people you have in your life.
Wild
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:54 pm

Wild wrote:JUST A QUESTION:

If they can't build on the land they bought will anyone else be able to? Where else can they build a new school at in Wallins? I don't know that area much so remember that when you are replying.

Oh they can build it there, they just can't build it up with dirt on the river bank... There are in my opinion about umpteen different better places in the area to build... Considering they payed a way inflated price for the land they bought I would think they are probably upside down on it... They paid a quarter million over assessed value of the property... No apparent reason I can think of either, except maybe because they were spending somebody else's money...
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby shade chaser » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:59 pm

Joe Average Whiteguy wrote:
GFunkMoneyDog wrote:

Details?????

JAW,the man that is over these sites for the school actually worked for the railroad at one time,wont put his name on here but im sure you know who he is,you live in his neck of the woods,Hyrail was roadmaster at that time,ill have to ask him,but i dont think there was ever a flat out NO,theres ways around every thing.Ide like to see all three districts get a new school but i know thats not possible.
shade chaser
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby shade chaser » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:00 pm

Oh they can build it there, they just can't build it up with dirt on the river bank... There are in my opinion about umpteen different better places in the area to build... Considering they payed a way inflated price for the land they bought I would think they are probably upside down on it... They paid a quarter million over assessed value of the property... No apparent reason I can think of either, except maybe because they were spending somebody else's money...

I agree with that 100%,the price was more than twice to high.
shade chaser
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Wild » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:19 pm

Can they add dirt from somewhere else? Will there be a way for the railroad to not be bothered or changed?
People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one, sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. -Marilyn
Negative people will bring you down. Positive people will bring you up... Make the right choice of the people you have in your life.
Wild
(no custom rank chosen)

Next

Return to Harlan County Schools