gasoline prices

Everything relating to Harlan County businesses. Have information or rumors pertaining to a new business? A critique or review of an existing business? Negative or positive, post it here.

gasoline prices

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:06 pm

FYI
Kroger in Middlesboro today, Regular gasoline was $2.28 a gallon.

I believe in "keeping the hometown" buisinesses. But its too bad they have a monopoly here.

I fill up any time Im in Middlesboro or Corbin.

Re: gasoline prices

Postby Unleaded » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:11 am

Its between 2.28 and 2.33 all over Bell County. Price gouging is what we have and I suggest everyone contact the AG's office.
Unleaded

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:36 am

Unleaded wrote:Its between 2.28 and 2.33 all over Bell County. Price gouging is what we have and I suggest everyone contact the AG's office.

Our attorney general..?!? You've got to be kidding..!
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Jack Rabbit » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:51 am

Rustygabe wrote:
Unleaded wrote:Its between 2.28 and 2.33 all over Bell County. Price gouging is what we have and I suggest everyone contact the AG's office.

Our attorney general..?!? You've got to be kidding..!

LOL I agree Rusty about contacting him but those prices do seem awful cheap compared to Harlan County.Gas Is 2.63 in Evarts.
Jack Rabbit

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:01 pm

It cant be the added on price for delivery. 40 cents a gallon cant be justified from Pineville to Harlan.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Postby Rip torn » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:59 pm

And here is the AG's response to my e-mail concerning high gas prices in Harlan and surrounding areas:

Thank you for your e-mail. We understand and share your concern over gas prices. Despite a common misconception, there is no law that routinely governs the price of gasoline and gasoline is not regulated in the same manner as, for example, electric, natural gas and water companies. Antitrust and consumer protection laws in this area are extremely complex. Pricing conduct which may appear unfair may nevertheless be within the purview of market participants and part of the capitalist system which provides a free market, subject of course to fair competition and prohibitions on collusion.

This Office is currently investigating the Kentucky gasoline market to determine if a violation of law has occurred. We feel it is imperative to find out if gasoline prices are simply a function of the market or if something unlawful is taking place to manipulate prices. The Attorney General's Office has issued subpoenas to refiners and retailers and our investigators will be looking for trends that may indicate whether any violations of the Consumer Protection Act or state or federal anti-trust laws may have been committed. We have also asked federal antitrust and Congressional investigators to review the market to determine if federal antitrust laws have been broken. Results of this investigation will be announced when completed.

Todd E. Leatherman

Exe cutive Director

Office of Consumer Protection

Kentucky Office of Attorney General
Rip torn

Postby Jacqueline » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:26 pm

Only $2.59 in Cumberland, so Harlan must be higher than they are here. I always fill up in Corbin at Walmart when I am traveling to Georgetown and find that gas is higher in Lexington than here a lot of the times.
Jacqueline
Jacqueline
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Angry Whiteguy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:56 pm

Rip torn wrote:

And here is the AG's response to my e-mail concerning high gas prices in Harlan and surrounding areas:

Thank you for your e-mail. We understand and share your concern over gas prices. Despite a common misconception, there is no law that routinely governs the price of gasoline and gasoline is not regulated in the same manner as, for example, electric, natural gas and water companies. Antitrust and consumer protection laws in this area are extremely complex. Pricing conduct which may appear unfair may nevertheless be within the purview of market participants and part of the capitalist system which provides a free market, subject of course to fair competition and prohibitions on collusion.

This Office is currently investigating the Kentucky gasoline market to determine if a violation of law has occurred. We feel it is imperative to find out if gasoline prices are simply a function of the market or if something unlawful is taking place to manipulate prices. The Attorney General's Office has issued subpoenas to refiners and retailers and our investigators will be looking for trends that may indicate whether any violations of the Consumer Protection Act or state or federal anti-trust laws may have been committed. We have also asked federal antitrust and Congressional investigators to review the market to determine if federal antitrust laws have been broken. Results of this investigation will be announced when completed.

Todd E. Leatherman

Exe cutive Director

Office of Consumer Protection

Kentucky Office of Attorney General

So he's saying it's a free market and open to competition... To me this means we shouldn't feel bad driving to Pilot in M'boro to fill up...
Your government is your master!!! Resistance is illegal, and futile!!!
Angry Whiteguy
ReSiDeNt EvIl

Postby Tinman » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:33 pm

Gas is still cheaper in Cumberland And in Evarts it was last I checked Triple J has the cheapest at 2.61 and its probally the same at their Evarts station. Oh Brother has the highest at 2.72 last I checked it might have changed so don't quote me on these prices,BP and Chevron is at 2.69. Over across the Va line in St Charles not checked in a while but it is usually less than here to so you know it can't be the delivery charge because they are more remote than we are.
"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." Clint Eastwood
Tinman

Postby Chase » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:40 pm

I can't understand why Marathon is always so much higher than most all the stations around here. I got gas at Direct (I call it that anyway) and it was 13 cents cheaper than Marathon that was just around the corner. Direct was 2.61/gal and Marathon was 2.75/gal. Tremont service station is always cheaper that most all the places. Their price runs the same as Direct.
Chase
(no custom rank chosen)

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:09 pm

Fyi
Kroger in Middlesboro
Regular gas $2.27
Yesterday

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:21 am

Who has the highest gas prices in Harlan County?

Postby mtn_girl » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:28 am

Gas always is higher in Harlan when I come home. However, I was in the Chicago area on Saturday, and it was $2.99! I was glad that I had filled up before I left home (about 2 hours west) and had enough to get out of town before I had to fill up again. :o
mtn_girl

Postby guest in Wallins » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:46 pm

Corbin
Regular 2.35 Today
guest in Wallins

Postby GFunkMoneyDog » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:30 pm

I never support a boycott of any business or industry, but with that said if we can keep a updated price per gallon of stations around the county and encourage people to purchase fuel there it might lower some of the other prices. OR, just fill up when you are in Middlesboro.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us." - Dr. Samuel Loomis
GFunkMoneyDog
The Godfather

Next

Return to Harlan County Businesses